Secondary bike lock?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
amenahmw

Secondary bike lock?

Post by amenahmw »

Hello, first of all I haven't used this account in about 5 years, how things have changed! The bike I mentioned in those posts got stolen years ago despite being the crappiest thing (only had a cable lock, silly me).

Therefore, I am quite keen on locking my bike properly, now that I'm brave enough to start cycling in London for uni, where bike theft certainly isn't uncommon. I have a Sold Secure D-lock for my hybrid (bike worth around £200), and I wanted a second lock too. Many people suggest a cable for that, but I was thinking chain...idk if that's overkill but I do wanna take the precautions I can.

Chain locks are generally quite heavy though and I don't wanna break my back with all the locks lol (could stick the chain somewhere on my bike but still). I recalled there was a forum of very nice and helpful people, thought I would log back in and ask for opinions from those more experienced :)
PH

Re: Secondary bike lock?

Post by PH »

I have two chains:
A kryptonite keeper which weighs 1.6 kg
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/produ ... 00853.html
And a Halfords branded one that weighs 580g
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-l ... chain-lock

I have no doubt that the heavier one would take a bit more cutting, though neither is going to resist decent bolt croppers for long. The Halfords one has the advantage of looking more substantial than it is.
What is it you're hoping the second lock with do? IMO anyone who's equipped to beat your D lock isn't going to be troubled by anything less than a heavy chain, certainly neither of mine. They're useful for short stops, or to secure a wheel, or if I find myself unable to use the D. I use the Halfords one on it's own as a cafe lock.
How and where you lock your bike is as important as what you lock it with, there's plenty of demo vids, but minimising the space a thief has to get at the lock and a location they're not keen to spend too much time in are the basics.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well if you intend to leave the bike outside some where it will still get stolen once it is seen in a given place for any length of time, what ever lock you use, or the wheels stolen etc. You should get friendly with the people who work at your college and ask if there is any where you can safely leave it. or only use a "rat bike" that no one will want to steal - you see many of these locked up eg out side London stations. sorry not the answer you wanted
amenahmw

Post by amenahmw »

Yeah i understand, quite depressing really lol. Im trying to negotiate for some safer bike parking where I'm based but not hopeful due to lack of spaces.

Is bike insurance a thing? Worth getting?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bike insurance is a thing but I think you pay between a tenth and a third of the bike's value each year. Worth it if you can't afford to replace the bike, I guess.

I use an alarmed cable lock as my second lock. It's not a bad cable lock anyway, but it's painfully loud if they're next to it when it goes off and I will hear it if I'm near.

Chains are strong but often the lock is the weakest bit.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Clothes pegs or little wooden wedges holding the brakes on?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:Bike insurance is a thing but I think you pay between a tenth and a third of the bike's value each year. Worth it if you can't afford to replace the bike, I guess.

My TSB stand alone, new for old cycle insurance costs 4% the value of my most expensive bike and all others are included,
Try it, see what quote you get
https://www.tsb.co.uk/home-insurance/bicycle-insurance/
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Can you keep a lock on the stands at uni? Or do you have someplace there to keep something? I used to keep an Abus motorcycle lock at work. There's a small risk that someone will mess with it there, but if you also carry a D lock, you can still lock you bike up with that, even it the lock on the stands becomes unavailable. Best to check if you can leave a lock there before you do it, though.

Other alternatives:
-a friend who has local bike parking (i.e. indoors at student housing) and doesn't use it?
-as above, take a bike you don't care about (if you can maintain your own bike, you can get cheap/free bikes from boot sales, charity shops, stuff destined for the tip, etc.)

If you get insurance for it, make sure that you are clear about all of the requirements, such as being loocked to something solid, minimum lock requirements, excess, etc.

edited to add: you might be able to rent someone's bike parking? Or post something at school that you would like to borrow/rent secure bike parking?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
amenahmw

Post by amenahmw »

This is all so helpful, thank you guys :D

With regards to insurance, I've been looking into it. However for TSB I cant seem to find what the excess is (the contract kinda makes it look like there is none...). In fact I can't seem to find what the excess would be for all the insurance plans ive looked at (havent looked too hard yet i guess lol)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if your bike is a decent one, just buy a rat bike as I suggested that is ok but wont be stolen
PH

Post by PH »

amenahmw wrote:This is all so helpful, thank you guys :D

With regards to insurance, I've been looking into it. However for TSB I cant seem to find what the excess is)

In the course of getting a quote you choose the excess and the premium alters accordingly. I found it didn’t make much difference unless you accepted over £500, so I think mine is £100, but I’m not at home to check.