To buy another boat...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

To buy another boat...

Post by pete75 »

When I got back into cycling about 12 years ago I stopped sailing and sold my boat. No longer working, I'm inclined to buy another boat and start sailing again. Nothing pretentious just a sailing cruiser 30 foot or a bit less. As stupid idea or not - can't make my mind up.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Re: To buy another boat...

Post by mercalia »

buy a submarine, much more fun
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

To me a 30 foot sailing cruiser would be a bit pretentious. My biggest boat was a Westerly Centaur. Built in 1979 it was more solidly built than the later ones. My last boat was all of 18ft long and actually more useful for my sailing. My mooring got overtaken by Crown Estates and sense went out the window so I just gave up. A small boat in my opinion is best but your choice is probably different.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F is the bloke to ask about sailing.
The rest as he often says........is history!
drossall

Post by drossall »

Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Deleted.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 22 Sep 2019, 11:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Where might you keep this boat?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We're about to enter into a period when such a boat wouldn't get much use,so if it were me I'd leave it until after winter and see if my enthusiasm has deteriorated or increased :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Had a Moody 29 for 25 years. Always sailed throughout the year. Brilliant tough little boat, quick and very spacious. Other folk in the club used to call it the Tardis. Got bored in the end.

Go for it....

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:Where might you keep this boat?

Boston or Gibraltar point. steeping haven quicker to get out to sea but salt side moorings in Boston are free.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:We're about to enter into a period when such a boat wouldn't get much use,so if it were me I'd leave it until after winter and see if my enthusiasm has deteriorated or increased :wink:

For that very reason they cost less to buy now. I'm not thinking of spending a lot of money anyway. £10,000 max.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ambodach wrote:To me a 30 foot sailing cruiser would be a bit pretentious. My biggest boat was a Westerly Centaur. Built in 1979 it was more solidly built than the later ones. My last boat was all of 18ft long and actually more useful for my sailing. My mooring got overtaken by Crown Estates and sense went out the window so I just gave up. A small boat in my opinion is best but your choice is probably different.

The size of boat anyone buys isn't down to pretension but intended use.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:

Boston or Gibraltar point. steeping haven quicker to get out to sea but salt side moorings in Boston are free.

A boat happy drying I guess. I'd worry about security in Boston.
I stayed a night there, the ladder had a board to prevent climbing, but it did not stop this old man.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I stayed a night there, the ladder had a board to prevent climbing, but it did not stop this old man.

I had a boat moored in Boston for ten years without any trouble. You may well view the place as terribly crime ridden because of commonly held prejudices against the Baltic population but you're wrong.

Is there anywhere on the east coast between the Essex/Suffolk rives and Grimsby where you don't need a boat that can take the ground?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I had a boat moored in Boston for ten years without any trouble. You may view the place as a crime ridden because of prejudice against the Baltic European population but you're wrong.

Is there anywhere on the east coast between the Essex/Suffolk rives and Grimsby where you don't need a boat that can take the ground?

I can promise you that immigrants were far from my mind. In fact I feel rather insulted.
I have never seen such a device on a wall ladder in any of the many small harbours I have visited (and felt secure in them).
It is not just the East coast where many harbours dry. I have been glad of twin keels in most little harbours in the Irish Sea, and found my friend's keel boat rather limiting in North Cornwall on the way to Scilly.
One thing I really liked about my little bilge keeler was that it was always easy to find a corner to moor in any harbour. No need for marinas!
In none of these corners and little ports did I have any worries about security. I found the ambience of Boston river different.