Broken shoulders!

gbnz

Broken shoulders!

Post by gbnz »

Anyone have real life experience of recovery time for a broken shoulder? Came off the bike and did mine on Friday, 2-3 fairly minor cracks and a couple of ribs. They're all fairly straightforward, minor breaks, so merely wondering whether a 6-8 week recovery time span is "real" (Nb. As stated by the Dr).

Or is it really a case of 3-4 months taking things easy for active people to make a worthwhile recovery and get back into the flow; cycling, swimming, gymming et al
pwa

Re: Broken shoulders!

Post by pwa »

I've done ribs and six weeks sounds about right. I found it very uncomfortable and hard to find a position to sleep in, so you have my sympathy.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

pwa wrote:I've done ribs and six weeks sounds about right. I found it very uncomfortable and hard to find a position to sleep in, so you have my sympathy.

Thanks, were your ribs back to "normal" by the end of a six week period, or were there a few additional weeks where you felt it necessary to take it easy?

NB. I'm wondering whether I should jettison the idesa of exercise for six weeks to speed up recovery
pwa

Post by pwa »

gbnz wrote:
pwa wrote:I've done ribs and six weeks sounds about right. I found it very uncomfortable and hard to find a position to sleep in, so you have my sympathy.

Thanks, were your ribs back to "normal" by the end of a six week period, or were there a few additional weeks where you felt it necessary to take it easy?

NB. I'm wondering whether I should jettison the idesa of exercise for six weeks to speed up recovery

You will know your own body better than anyone else. Just listen to it. For a while you will just want to protect it, and find any hint of comfort where you can. But then you will start to see small signs of improvement. At that point you may or may not feel like doing some exercise. But it won't be cycling. Walking will be a good first exercise. Maybe swimming. But you will need to be well recovered before you try putting weight on your shoulder or bending over on a bike. But you will know yourself when you are ready.

I had ligament damage around my right shoulder from mid July and it was only about a week ago that my shoulder felt okay on a bike. And it feels wonderful to be back to doing everything I want to do without a worry.
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Agree with all the above. I broke 5 ribs (3 of them twice), broke shoulder + punctured lung. Originally told 6 weeks in hospital, but home after 6 days. Surgeon offered to operate on shoulder, but recommended leave alone (which I opted for) because muscles were holding broken ribs together, which would have had to be cut through to repair shoulder blade. Now I'm slightly further forward on my right side compared to my left, but hey ho everything works. I left swimming off because I only do breast stroke, or back stroke. Walking first then cycling then swimming, lastly folk dancing! Being a cyclist/swimmer helped recovery. Good luck, be patient and all should be well.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

pwa wrote: back to doing everything I want to do without a worry.

Thanks to all, suppose that's my main concern. Had a good 15 mile daily walk immediately after breakage, had 40 minutes at the gym on Day 6 and managed my first 15.8 miles on the bike today (Day 7). Avg speed will have been around 7.5mph! (NB. Had to walk downhill sections, as balance using the left hand was difficult. Pity I hadn't broken the left shoulder, as riding the bike would be a lot easier, in respect to balance, using the gears (Cassette right hand)
drossall

Post by drossall »

A friend of mine has a worse break than yours, and it's not healing well. However, he's been using a static trainer to keep the pedals turning, as he can ride with one hand. Not sure I'd want to ride with damaged shoulder as you seem to be doing, both because of reduced control of the bike, and because of the possibility of crashing and making it worse?
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

drossall wrote:A friend of mine has a worse break than yours, and it's not healing well.

In what way is it not healing well?

I fractured my shoulder (proximal humerus) on 3 September. They operated on 10 September because the fracture was unstable (bit of bone chipped off). Plate installed with several screws. Recovery has been slow and uncomfortable. I’m still in a sling and not even dreaming of cycling yet. I have limited movement and barely the ability to lift my arm up with my own power in physio sessions (cannot yet lift in outward direction). I hope this is normal for the particular injury I have, but I just cannot know and that is stressful. Meeting the surgeon on 2 October for a check-up.
PH

Post by PH »

I imagine all incidents are different, take it easy and follow the instruction of the physio and consultant.
I had a Latarjet procedure 12 years ago after frequent dislocations cased a breakage, it was six months before I was back on the bike and probably another three before I was actually enjoying it.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

PH wrote:I imagine all incidents are different, take it easy and follow the instruction of the physio and consultant..

Thanks, advice to date has been lacking, but am taking it an easy enough pace
Last edited by gbnz on 22 Sep 2019, 3:17pm, edited 2 times in total.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Samuel D wrote:
I fractured my shoulder (proximal humerus) on 3 September. They operated on 10 September because the fracture was unstable (bit of bone chipped off). Plate installed with several screws. Recovery has been slow and uncomfortable. I’m still in a sling and not even dreaming of cycling yet. I have limited movement and barely the ability to lift my arm up with my own power in physio sessions (cannot yet lift in outward direction). I hope this is normal for the particular injury I have, but I just cannot know and that is stressful. Meeting the surgeon on 2 October for a check-up.

Ouch....sounds far worse than mine. I'm still in a sling, but have started to find more aches & pains from sling inflicted stresses in the last 24 hours, so am slowly removing it for short periods and flexing the arm (NB. Taking it easily on the basis that the bone won't have healed for another 31 days!)

Nine days after the incident, 70% of my pain has gone and I'll be back in the gym for decent leg/cardio sessions from tomorrow :D.

Have you found your broken shoulder/arm, is now longer / drooping towards the floor :wink:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Ride a recumbent....
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cunobelin wrote:Ride a recumbent....

Hmm.....I find it hard enough to hide the uprights from the Landlord ! I've found the best approach is to dismantle and store one bike in a built in wardrobe and wheel/lock up the other two at the gym, 5 minutes walk away :wink: (Nb. Perhaps I should buy again, rather than rent :? )
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Samuel D wrote:

Just wondering if you can lift your shoulder yet? Or still in a sling?

While during heavy lower body cardio at the gym hasn't been an issue, haven't started on weights yet. At the four week point tomorrow, so onto the rowing machine (NB. At a relaxed pace). And finally got out for a 27 mile ride last Saturday :D (NB. The only previous ride being at a super slow, one handed pace)
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I’m a long way behind you, unfortunately. But the check-up on 2 October went okay and progress is happening, so I’m happier than I was before.

I still have the sling about half the day and at night. I can lift my arm about halfway, depending on the direction. It feels like a hard stop, but previously it felt like a hard stop earlier and it clearly wasn’t. So I’m optimistic it’s just pain that’s communicating a false stop to me … pain that will diminish with further torture sessions with the physiotherapist (twenty to go!).

Your recovery sounds good bordering on unbelievable! Good man. Mine was messier, I think: multiple fractures, unstable, surgery to fit the plate, nine screws in the bone, etc. The gory details:

How did you fall? Good luck with the rest of your recovery.