New Bib Tights

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: New Bib Tights

Post by Mick F »

SimonCelsa wrote:
4. What is the actual difference in bib tights men vs women?

I would imagine you get a bit more space for your meat and 2 veg in the mens version.......and you haven't noticed :wink:
If it's cold weather ................ :wink:
mercalia wrote:I prefer leggings like these
Plenty room for meat and two veg there!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Update:

Busy over the weekend, partying and celebrating a significant birthday of one of our daughters.
Bed early last night and up this morning with a clear head and bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. :D

I put the tights on, and sat on Mercian and pedalled backwards. I didn't want to go for a ride to test them out.
They fit nicely and comfortably, and my bum is happy on the Brooks. Plenty room for my masculine areas ......... plus I wore underpants to protect the tight's internals.

However, the problem is, the legs are too tight. Absolutely fine standing and sitting, but pedalling swells out my manly thighs and calves and the tights are too slim-fitting. I felt restricted.

Pity, because they are in all other respects very good indeed and generally feel great.

I'm off into Plymouth by train and back this morning and call in at Evans for a chat and a swap to the Men's version. Hopefully, I'll get a bit of a refund as the Women's one was £59.99 and the Men's is £55.00 as advertised on their website.

So there you have it.
The main difference (from what I see) between Women's tights and Men's tights, is that the legs are slimmer.
Mick F. Cornwall
David9694

Post by David9694 »

They didn’t query because you may have been buying for. Friend, and, if you hadn’t noticed Attitudes to gender have changed. If you ask where the toilets are you’ll hear men’s that way, women’s over there.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mick F wrote:I'm happy in my skin. I'm me and content, and not at all bothered by wearing these tights.

What I am bothered about though, is why didn't they notice? Do the shop assistants not know their products?
For that alone, I should go back.

Why should the shop assistant be bothered whether you got women's or men's, especially since you'd tried them on & they seemed to fit?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I asked if I could try them on, and then they saw me trying them on. No warning about possible fit issues.

I understand about gender stuff of course, but I now know that women's bib tights don't fit me properly. I suppose if I was lithe and slim, they would be fine, but I'm a chunky muscular 66 year old bloke. All fits well, except the legs are too slim. Excellent otherwise.

Off out for the train shortly. 09:29 to Plymouth.

I'll report back later. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I read a piece about Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones (a popular beat combo m'lud) and this revealed that he wore ladies jeans because he's very thin.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mick F wrote:I understand about gender stuff of course, but I now know that women's bib tights don't fit me properly. I suppose if I was lithe and slim, they would be fine, but I'm a chunky muscular 66 year old bloke. All fits well, except the legs are too slim. Excellent otherwise.

I generally have the same problem with women's tights. I'm not sure what that says about me. :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:I asked if I could try them on, and then they saw me trying them on. No warning about possible fit issues.

I understand about gender stuff of course, but I now know that women's bib tights don't fit me properly. I suppose if I was lithe and slim, they would be fine, but I'm a chunky muscular 66 year old bloke. All fits well, except the legs are too slim. Excellent otherwise.

Off out for the train shortly. 09:29 to Plymouth.

I'll report back later. :D

Let’s face it Mick you’re not a size 8 anymore :lol: Try the extra large :D
Maybe you should try the other Evans store
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Home now .............
Mrs Mick F met me from the station and drove me home. Absolutely chucking it down.
I didn't cycle to Plymouth, knowing that it was going to be a wet day, so took the train and walked across Plymouth in the drizzle. By the time I was walking back to the station for the train home, I was rather wet. I'd stopped in Noah's Ark pub for a quick beer on my way. If I'm was going to be wet on the outside, I may as well be wet on the inside. :wink:

I digress ................ the story continues ....................

I walked into Evans Cycles, and went straight to the desk and explained the problem. Two assistants at the desk.
All very amusing and they understood. I explained that although they fitted, they were a bit tight on the legs. We all laughed at the mistake. I was asked if I'd like to go over and check out the Men's bib tights and left the Women's tights I'd bought with them.

I went over in the clothing area and looked and looked and looked. Nowhere could I see the same brand other than Castelli at £125 so went back to the desk.

One chap went over with me whilst being told to look for the FWE Coldharbour, and found them easily.

The Women's ones are displayed full length, but the Men's are displayed with the legs tucked in on the same rack as the Men's bib shorts, so I didn't see or notice them as they all looked like bib shorts. The chap picked out the XL and the L for me, and showed me to the changing rooms. I went straight for the XL, stripped off and put them on. Excellent fit and went back to the desk.

Here's where it gets complicated ....................

The desk chappy produced another receipt. The Men's ones are ticketed at £55 and there was no charge. Remember I'd paid £59.99 with £6 off making £53.99 .......... so I got less discount even though I had to go back to them. When querying this, I was informed that the Men's ones are discounted anyway. (Why, wasn't explained)

Any road up, the new (Men's) tights went into my bag with a new receipt, and off I went happy in the knowledge I had a new pair of tights for the forthcoming cool and cold weather.

Quick single pint in Noah's Ark, and back to the train via the Pound Shop for stuff and the Post Office to post stuff off, and then home.

It was only then that I opened my bag to show Mrs Mick F my new (Men's) bib tights.
It was only then that we noticed that the assistant at Evans hadn't removed the security tag! :shock:
Mrs Mick F told me NOT to try and manually remove it as it would damage the fabric.

Mrs Mick F took charge!
She telephoned Evans and explained the whole story about my TWO trips into their shop. They knew the story and knew that I'd been in .................. and were rather embarrassed about the security tag! :lol: :lol:

Well ......... they are going to post me ANOTHER pair of Men's FWE Coldharbour bib tights free of charge and I can keep the ones with the security tag on! :shock:

Advice required about how to remove the tag WITHOUT going back to Evans. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Will you be wearing them on Friday. You may need the security tag to keep those medals in check. Enjoy :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

I've been Googling methods of removing tags. Magnets are the way forward and I have some chunky and powerful ones.
None of them work, as they need to be "shaped" to fit the plastic bit of the tag I reckon.

Failing that, as the tag is right down at the bottom on the ankle gripper bit, a par of scissors and then a needle and thread will suffice.

It's down here on the "Since 1921" logo on the ankle.
(not mine - Googled)
Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 15.46.42.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 15.46.42.png (70.04 KiB) Viewed 256 times
Mick F. Cornwall
nez

Post by nez »

mercalia wrote:I prefer leggings like these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycling-Leg-Warmers-Winter-Running-Thermal-Roubix-Cycle-Knee-Black-S-M-L-XL/131348851968?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=430669699794&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I bought apair of these a year ago still going strong

quite cheap and more than enough, can roll them down if too hot & treat them like long socks

Those look like a rage trade swizz. 'What happens if we cut the legs off and sell them separately?' 'We get more money.'
nez

Post by nez »

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol:

I've been Googling methods of removing tags. Magnets are the way forward and I have some chunky and powerful ones.
None of them work, as they need to be "shaped" to fit the plastic bit of the tag I reckon.

Failing that, as the tag is right down at the bottom on the ankle gripper bit, a par of scissors and then a needle and thread will suffice.

It's down here on the "Since 1921" logo on the ankle.
(not mine - Googled)
Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 15.46.42.png

found this on a student website
'Just insert 2 forks between the two parts of the tag, bottom fork facing down and top fork facing up. Press fork handles together, and off the tag will pop. Did it this afternoon, easy.'

Don't use your best silver forks of course.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good idea. Thanks.

I have been TOLD by Mrs Mick F not to attempt anything until the new tights arrive in the post. She is in charge - I do not argue. :shock:
She has a point methinks.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:I have been TOLD by Mrs Mick F not to attempt anything until the new tights arrive in the post. She is in charge - I do not argue. :shock:
There are two things you must know about the Wise Woman.

One, she is wise.
Two, she is a woman.
Mick F. Cornwall