Steel frameset for Alfine disc hub?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

Steel frameset for Alfine disc hub?

Post by PH »

An interaction with a car last night puts me in need on a readily available frame that'll take a hub gear, preferably without needing a chain tensioner.
Primary use will be deliveroo, so although any bike would do, I spend a good few hours on it so would prefer it to be reasonable, plus it isn't me paying :wink:
Steel frame & fork
700c
touring/hybrid style geometry
58/60cm
Longish top tube for straight bars
Usual rack and guarf fittings

So far I've looked at:
Surly Stragler - having had a Cross Check that's maybe a little too sporty.
Genesis Longitude - a bit too MTB for my tastes (Though I haven't rejected it)
Intec - though some of the reviews are not very positive

all ideas welcome

EDIT - No secondhand, it makes the insurance too complicated.
slowster

Re: Steel frameset for Alfine disc hub?

Post by slowster »

It's a lot more expensive than the frames you have mentioned, but it sounds like the Tout Terrain Chiyoda has many of the features you want. Most Tout Terrain dealers seem only to advertise complete bikes, but you can buy just the frames, e.g.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/tout-terrain/Chiyoda-II-Frame-Kit-for-Internally-Geared-Hubs-p59031/

Edit - No rack eyes on the steat stays (presumably because the complete bike comes with Tubus Wingee mudguards and rack), so you would have to use a seat post clamp with rack mounts.
grufty

Post by grufty »

Disc Trucker, ok you'll need a tensioner, but the Shimano one works well, less hassle adjusting rear discs than horizontal dropouts.
PH

Post by PH »

Thanks both, keep them coming
Tout Terrain - that's very nice, probably too nice/expensive for the purpose.
Disc Trucker - another nice frame, though if I do end up using a tensioner there's a lot more choice and a couple I like from Spa and Alpkit.
slowster

Post by slowster »

PH wrote:Tout Terrain - that's very nice, probably too nice/expensive for the purpose.

By my rough reckoning a Tout Terrain frame is likely to be in the region of £200 more than a Disc Trucker. Whether or not you think it's worth that extra amount is probably going to depend very much on your own particular needs and preferences.

Depending upon your perspective some of the Tout Terrain features are either things which make the frame highly desirable and very good value for money, or are pointless and unwanted features which needlessly increase the price of the frame.

A good example is that the forks have the Son fittings which allow a Son SL dynamo hub to be used, eliminating the need for connectors. That is something which otherwise you would probably only be able to get by going down the custom frame route and paying probably more than twice the price of the Tout Terrain frame. However, if you are not going to fit a dynamo, or you would want to use a Shimano dynamo hub or a standard Son hub (which you might already have), then it's a useless feature.

Another option is the Tout Terrain Amber Road (€700 + €140 delivery), which has an integrated rear rack, but again you presumably already have a rack.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Another possibility might be the Cube Travel Pro or Hyde Pro (Pro seems to refer to the hub geared versions with EBBs). They don't appear to be readily available as frame and fork only, but maybe the value for money of the complete bike makes it worth considering, e.g.

https://www.freeborn.co.uk/cube-travel-pro-2019-black-brown-hybrid-bike?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsZjOk6Xs5AIVybTtCh1iWgMOEAQYAyABEgKVbvD_BwE

Presumably you could keep the parts from your current bike as potential spares, e.g. especially the rear wheel with Alfine (or fit the Alfine and keep the standard Nexus hub geared wheel as a spare).
Last edited by slowster on 25 Sep 2019, 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

There's always these of course:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/475m ... ame-black/

Maybe too heavy duty? Needs the fork too, not included in that price.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Hope that isn't the Mercury? Hope you are OK and the bike is fixable.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If you use a tensioner,and I appreciate you don't really wish to,Genesis Vagabond,shorter WB and better geometry for the job in hand
than the Longitude but clearances for up to 2inch(47mm actual size) tyres with m/guards should you wish:- https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/frame ... l4EALw_wcB

PS, I'm very impressed with mine.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

genesis day one frameset ought to work for you, but I'm not sure if it is readily available as a frameset only.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PH

Post by PH »

geocycle wrote:Hope that isn't the Mercury? Hope you are OK and the bike is fixable.

No, not the Merc, if it had been I wouldn't look at anything other than another, if they weren't so expensive I'd have one for this purpose as well. By some strange quirk, I'm fine, in a complete reversal of my only other car interface the bike crumpled and I got a bit of a graze...
PH

Post by PH »

Brucey wrote:genesis day one frameset ought to work for you, but I'm not sure if it is readily available as a frameset only.

cheers

Good call, I'd forgotten about those, I'll investigate...
PH

Post by PH »

Still undecided and could do with ordering today...
It's looking like there's a lot better value in using a frame and tensioner. Current front runners are a Sonder Santiago from Alpkit (£350) or a Croix De Fer from Spa (£395). Other ideas welcome... or just get on with it comments :roll:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

If you are serious about tracking down a Day One frame, I'd suggest giving a good genesis dealer a ring and seeing what they say. They may be able to get one even if it is not listed.

IMHO tensioners are both good and bad in equal measure; good because the chain can be neglected and still still stay on; bad because there is more to go wrong and, often, the chain gets monstrously worn without it being obvious to the rider that this is happening.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PH

Post by PH »

Brucey wrote:IMHO tensioners are both good and bad in equal measure; good because the chain can be neglected and still still stay on; bad because there is more to go wrong and, often, the chain gets monstrously worn without it being obvious to the rider that this is happening.

cheers

Yes, I have one on my hub geared folder and I'd rather not have one for those reasons, the aesthetics, plus it's also a dirt trap. Riding wise, I'm not so bothered.
I've put the Day One on the back boiler, the insurers seem to be keener to offer a replacement bike rather than a cash settlement and I've agreed with the bike shop (Cycle Republic) that the hub geared 20 version is similar enough to be a like for like replacement. Though I wouldn't want to guess the timescale.