Forum for LGBT Members

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
barry

Forum for LGBT Members

Post by barry »

As CTC's Equality Champion I would like to explore the possibility of any of our LGBT members forming an online discussion group whereby members can discuss LGTB issues, give support to each other, arrange rides and anything else you can come up with.
Barry.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pardon my ignorance, Barry, but what does LGBT stand for?
Sorry if it's a silly question.
Mick F. Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans???????
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah...
I think a question on a different forum might be a better bet. Try to find a forum with cyclists that are LGTB aware!
Mick F. Cornwall
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Mick F wrote:Ah...
I think a question on a different forum might be a better bet. Try to find a forum with cyclists that are LGTB aware!

But if Barry wants to know if this would be a good idea on this forum there is no point in asking elsewhere. However putting it on a more well read board on this forum might be worth trying.
Liz

Post by Liz »

x
Last edited by Liz on 13 Oct 2008, 10:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

If you're interested in finding out why it is that there are not more LGBTQ people in the CTC, fine.

If you're interested in canvassing the opinion of LGBTQ people about how they've been treated by the CTC and it's members, fine.

But there are many other, better places for LGBTQ people to go to to discuss LGTB issues or to give support to each other. The CTC's not about that.

As for LGBTQ-only bike rides, I'd suggest that this is probably a niche too far. As long as CTC rides are inclusive and welcoming to all kinds of people, that's all that worries me.

Mind you, I recently met up with New York's Fast and Fabulous bike club for a nocturnal ride round Manhattan. They're all very lovely and seem to have a thriving club.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Wikipedia wrote:Many variants exist, including variations which merely change the order of the letters; but LGBT or GLBT are the most common terms and the ones most frequently seen in current usage. [...] It may also include additional Qs for queer and/or questioning (sometimes abbreviated with a question mark) (LGBTQ, LGBTQQ, GLBTQ?). Other variants may add a U for "unsure", an I for intersex, another T for transsexual/transvestite another T (or TS or the numeral 2) for Two-Spirit people, an A or SA for allies, or an A for asexual. Some may also add a P for pansexual or polyamorous, and an O for omnisexual or other. The order of the letters is also not standardized; in addition to the uses that reverse the initial L and G, the extended letters, if used, may appear in almost any order.

And you thought non-ETRO tyre size designations were confusing...

(It's not my intention to diss anyone in of the above groups, so please don't take this the wrong way. I'm more about making fun of wikipedians)
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

eileithyia wrote:Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans???????

i thought u were pulling my leg......but a quick google later
http://www.all-acronyms.com/LGBT
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Cosstick

Post by Cosstick »

lauriematt wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans???????

i thought u were pulling my leg......

I thought the same !

Learn something new every day!!!
mr_hippo

Re: Forum for LGBT Members

Post by mr_hippo »

barry wrote:As CTC's Equality Champion I would like to explore the possibility of any of our LGBT members forming an online discussion group whereby members can discuss LGTB issues, give support to each other, arrange rides and anything else you can come up with.
Barry.

What is an 'equality champion'? What did you have to win to become a 'champion'?
Is there anything to suggest on this forum that a gay member cannot post a query here? Can I suggest having an on-line discussion group for 'Vegetarian agnostics who read the Daily Mail and can complete the Sunday Times crossword in less than 5 minutes'? I'm sure other posters could come up with more groups! Cyclists who put Marmite on their Soreen Malt Loaf, for example?
I must have talked to thousands of cyclists in my time, I don't think I have asked, or been asked, about lifestyle, star sign, bank balance or credit rating!
When I moved to Thailand, I searched for 'cycling clubs in Thailand', don't you think that gay cyclists do not have the sense to do an internet search for 'gay cycling clubs' - Google found 366,000 references in 0.22 seconds!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Mick F wrote:Ah...

Judging the interest the men took in the fantasies of the lady cyclists, over on the Tea Shop, I did wonder....... :lol: :lol:

More seriously though; I would agree with others, the sexuality of others is of no concern to me, unless they come on to me that is....
Bike, cycling interests, places travelled are of more interest than, career, bank balance (always assume everyone's is bigger than mine anyway), marital status etc.

Though do occasionally cycle with lady from the Shecycles site, it is clear she is in a relationship with another lady, would no more expect her to come on to me than anyone else who is in a relationship.
Tis quite amusing to learn that another training partner was banned from going out cycling with her by his wife, I don't think she would've caused ructions in the marriage somehow :lol:

PS the acronym was a guess
Last edited by eileithyia on 14 Oct 2008, 8:12am, edited 1 time in total.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Charlotte wrote:But there are many other, better places for LGBTQ people to go to to discuss LGTB issues or to give support to each other. The CTC's not about that.

As for LGBTQ-only bike rides, I'd suggest that this is probably a niche too far. As long as CTC rides are inclusive and welcoming to all kinds of people, that's all that worries me.

Well put.
You said what I meant!

The CTC and other good cycling groups are welcoming to anyone of any persuasion providing they enjoy cycling. For niche interests or lifestyles, it would be surely better to canvass them specifically, to find out if there are any cyclists in them, rather than asking on here.

But a good thread nonetheless!
Mick F. Cornwall
Jimmy The Hand

Post by Jimmy The Hand »

Charlotte wrote:But there are many other, better places for LGBTQ people to go to to discuss LGTB issues or to give support to each other. The CTC's not about that.

I think Barry might mean issues relevent to LGBT CTC members, like the Gay man who was told he wasn't welcome on a DA ride!

[As for LGBTQ-only bike rides, I'd suggest that this is probably a niche too far. As long as CTC rides are inclusive and welcoming to all kinds of people, that's all that worries me.

Why not have LGBT rides? I'm sure I've seen threads on here for Trike, recumbent, Tandem riders looking for like minded cyclist to ride with so what's the difference?
Last edited by Jimmy The Hand on 14 Oct 2008, 10:08am, edited 2 times in total.
Jimmy The Hand

Post by Jimmy The Hand »

Mick F wrote:The CTC and other good cycling groups are welcoming to anyone of any persuasion providing they enjoy cycling. For niche interests or lifestyles, it would be surely better to canvass them specifically, to find out if there are any cyclists in them, rather than asking on here.

Surely he's canvasing CTC members not members of other niche/lifestyle groups?