Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

visionset

Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

Post by visionset »

Or rather pedestrians behave like it is a law like the US. It seems default behaviour in everyone younger than a certain age. Must adhere to the green man. Car take precedence. When you couple this with reduced cycling on actual roads for essentially the same reason. I've said it before but this mentality is a real threat going forward. The jaywalking thing, I've only noticed it recently really since my work has moved back into a city. Surely you just cross the road when you judge it safe, not wait an age for lights? Not so it seems, I watch these people cos the behaviour seems so strange, so I'm not mistaken. The only people with the right kind of attitude seems to be the homeless. Anyone else noticed this?
Syd

Re: Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

Post by Syd »

The only people I have noticed behave like that round here (City of Edinburgh) are the tourists. Local just behave as normal.... crossing the road anywhere with their phone stuck in their face [emoji23]
mjr

Post by mjr »

Nope. Despite government badgering, people still cross freely in Norfolk else we'd die of old age. I don't know whether people in Norwich still walk out into traffic and stare down the motorists on anything less than an A road because cars are increasingly discouraged from entering the city centre.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
visionset

Post by visionset »

Well maybe most still do and it is just a few that really stand out. I'll have to take a video. Maybe it is because of screen gazing that speed perception, judgment etc is now really poor, so they take more care. (when not on snapchat or whatever)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cross the road.
Just cross it.
Green Cross Code works, and before that, we had ...........

Look right, look left, look right again. If the road is clear, quick march!
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Never trust a morton to obey the law
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Mick F wrote:Cross the road.
Just cross it.
Green Cross Code works, and before that, we had ...........

Look right, look left, look right again. If the road is clear, quick march!

Which is kind of the point, people cannot walk freely, always having to watch out and wait or get killed/squished = jaywalking = victim blaming occurs, all stemming from motorists being allowed to travel at speed with barely any abatement.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Don't blame motorists.

I understand there were more people killed on the roads BEFORE the advent of the motorcar.
Horse-drawn vehicles were the killer.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote:Don't blame motorists.

I understand there were more people killed on the roads BEFORE the advent of the motorcar.

It's not surprising many were killed. Have you seen the old photos. Pedestrians used the whole of the road as if they had a right to it!
When the car came along it took a few years, but eventually we learned who owns the roads.

Each pedestrian crossing the road was right to think that they were much safer doing so than they would think today, and so many more wandered across and they took less care doing so. There were many more "targets".

Nowadays our movements are much more constrained.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
ossie

Post by ossie »

I had no idea that if you pressed the button and the traffic cleared after you press it, the lights won't change. I guess that's down to the detector things on top.

Its clever but for someone raised in a country where jaywalking is illegal it kind of goes against the grain.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

This tells me you simply don't get it, you think might is right and that those with might have greater priority and entitlement to travel unencumbered than people getting in the way whom are much more vulnerable/have less might, and if they get in the way and get hurt it's their fault, not the person who is travelling in a carriage that kills/maims with impunity ... :roll:

as a person who rides a bike I thought you would understand how that is massively wrong, seemingly not!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ossie wrote:I had no idea that if you pressed the button and the traffic cleared after you press it, the lights won't change. I guess that's down to the detector things on top.

Its clever but for someone raised in a country where jaywalking is illegal it kind of goes against the grain.

I sometimes think the lights are controlled by a random number generator, occasionally they change immediately, mostly they take several minutes, or they wait until there is no morton traffic to hold up :?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What is the legal situation in other countries?
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

The utility cyclist wrote:

This tells me you simply don't get it, you think might is right and that those with might have greater priority and entitlement to travel unencumbered than people getting in the way whom are much more vulnerable/have less might, and if they get in the way and get hurt it's their fault, not the person who is travelling in a carriage that kills/maims with impunity ... :roll:

as a person who rides a bike I thought you would understand how that is massively wrong, seemingly not!

Alternatively: People using different forms of transport need to realise that we all have to get along together, if we are all going to get where we are going in safety. I won’t wander aimlessly into the road if you don’t drive on the pavement. I’ll pay attention when I’m riding my bike, if you’ll treat me with courtesy & consideration. Being on foot doesn’t make me morally superior in the same way ‘paying road tax’ doesn’t give you more right to use the public highway.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Ellieb wrote: if you don’t drive on the pavement

...or claim the right to occupy the pavement whenever you see fit?

I have been walking on the pavement when a driver steers onto it and expects me to clear the way for him!
And it is routine to be forced into the road by parked cars blocking the pavement. After all, we all have to get along.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?