** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Pastychomper

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Post by Pastychomper »

Cugel wrote:(It's frustrating trying to dip a soldier into a hard-boiled egg).

yes, but is it as bad as washing your windows with a soft-boiled one?
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Pastychomper wrote:
Cugel wrote:(It's frustrating trying to dip a soldier into a hard-boiled egg).

yes, but is it as bad as washing your windows with a soft-boiled one?

A soft-boiled egg has never appealed as a window-washing sponge - but were you meaning a soft-boiled soldier? Most soldiers seem rather hard-boiled so where would one find such a thing, anyway?

The window cleaner that comes 'round once a month may be an ex-soldier of some kind. I never asked. He is very quiet and cannot meet one's eye.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

DAB radio frequencies

I am getting sick and tired of the people who control the frequencies. AGAIN I have had to retune and change my presets. I dont want to listen to Punjabi radio or some Christian bleating out when I press the preset for to radio 3 or LBC. I had to do that just over a month or so ago. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: SO who ever is it charge make up your minds and stop <expletive deleted> me around
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mercalia wrote:DAB radio frequencies

(snip)I dont want to listen to Punjabi radio or some Christian bleating out when I press the preset for to radio 3 or LBC. I had to do that just over a month or so ago. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: SO who ever is it charge make up your minds and stop <expletive deleted> me around

You may be confused as BBC R3 has a habit of putting out the "Christian bleating" of an afternoon time, in the form of miserable dirges moaned out by a "choir" along with even more miserable sermonising about how we're all doomed sinners who need to be chastised and made even more miserable. I believe it's "the afternoon service".

My own R3 consumption is generally in the workshop as I spoil murdered tree bits. I enjoy all the strange noises it makes - the hootings and parps as well as the melodious traditional stuff in which things are in tune and there are few unidentifiable creaks, ratter-tatts and sounds like a drain gone wrong.

When the Christian moaning and dirging comes on, I take those jobs saved for the occasion, which require the use of loud motors in planer-thicknesser, tablesaw, router or even belt sander. The motor racket plus the screams of the abused wood drown out the dirging entirely.

I would like a reverse R3 where the motor + wood-screams noise could be piped into the moaning-halls of them Christians. Taste of their own medicine - with knobs on!

Cugel, not a fan of High Church miserable moaning ministries.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cugel wrote:
mercalia wrote:DAB radio frequencies

(snip)I dont want to listen to Punjabi radio or some Christian bleating out when I press the preset for to radio 3 or LBC. I had to do that just over a month or so ago. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: SO who ever is it charge make up your minds and stop <expletive deleted> me around

You may be confused as BBC R3 has a habit of putting out the "Christian bleating" of an afternoon time, in the form of miserable dirges moaned out by a "choir" along with even more miserable sermonising about how we're all doomed sinners who need to be chastised and made even more miserable. I believe it's "the afternoon service".

My own R3 consumption is generally in the workshop as I spoil murdered tree bits. I enjoy all the strange noises it makes - the hootings and parps as well as the melodious traditional stuff in which things are in tune and there are few unidentifiable creaks, ratter-tatts and sounds like a drain gone wrong.

When the Christian moaning and dirging comes on, I take those jobs saved for the occasion, which require the use of loud motors in planer-thicknesser, tablesaw, router or even belt sander. The motor racket plus the screams of the abused wood drown out the dirging entirely.

I would like a reverse R3 where the motor + wood-screams noise could be piped into the moaning-halls of them Christians. Taste of their own medicine - with knobs on!

Cugel, not a fan of High Church miserable moaning ministries.

those were just examples I come across as I have to go thru all the channels . Another that comes to mind is one for Poles. re Christian, I dont mind the Choral Evensong but those channels that are evangelical in nature or bible classes. I have my dads old shortwave receiver and used to listen to those Yanky Billy Graham type Repent Ye funadmentalist channels for a laugh
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I'm both a Christian and a musician. I love singing choral evensong.
I can't stand happy clappy inane rants
John
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:I'm both a Christian and a musician. I love singing choral evensong.

Well, I am a Christian too - not of the organised type and not one that believes the obvious mumbo-jumbo, fairy stories and so forth .... just a recipient of the long and multifarious cultural and mental underpinnings of centuries of Christianity. All that ten commandments stuff has somehow stuck. Perhaps it was all the exuberant hymn singing of a morning at school? In truth I find a lot of meaningful and even inspirational stuff in CHristian writings (as well as in those reacting to or attempting to reject aspects of Christianity).

My daughter spent three years at Durham Uni, in Hatfield College digs, on the top floor. The college abuts the cathedral and she spent many a happy morning & evening enjoying the fine choral singing, not to mention the regular organ blasts, emitted from the cathedral to enter the window of her college garret room. Even today, 30 years later, she enjoys choral of the Christian kind and even a bit of organ .... as I do myself. (I enjoy Victoria and Du Fay most of all, though).

I don't know whether you listen to the afternoon service broadcasts of Radio 3. I have always found them to be miserable, depressing and seemingly constructed to induce those feelings. The droning sermons of doom! The mournful dirges chosen as "the music". They could be far more inspiring; much less Victorian; something for Christians other than the High Church doomsters.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:I'm both a Christian and a musician. I love singing choral evensong.

Cugel wrote:Well, I am a Christian too - not of the organised type and not one that believes the obvious mumbo-jumbo, fairy stories and so forth .... just a recipient of the long and multifarious cultural and mental underpinnings of centuries of Christianity. All that ten commandments stuff has somehow stuck. Perhaps it was all the exuberant hymn singing of a morning at school? In truth I find a lot of meaningful and even inspirational stuff in CHristian writings (as well as in those reacting to or attempting to reject aspects of Christianity).

My daughter spent three years at Durham Uni, in Hatfield College digs, on the top floor. The college abuts the cathedral and she spent many a happy morning & evening enjoying the fine choral singing, not to mention the regular organ blasts, emitted from the cathedral to enter the window of her college garret room. Even today, 30 years later, she enjoys choral of the Christian kind and even a bit of organ .... as I do myself. (I enjoy Victoria and Du Fay most of all, though).

I don't know whether you listen to the afternoon service broadcasts of Radio 3. I have always found them to be miserable, depressing and seemingly constructed to induce those feelings. The droning sermons of doom! The mournful dirges chosen as "the music". They could be far more inspiring; much less Victorian; something for Christians other than the High Church doomsters.

Cugel

PS I too could wax lyrical about the dreadful happy-clappy born-aginers. I know several and feel that their adoption of the mode has spoilt their otherwise good natures. And this from moi, a self-admitted virtue-signaller and holier-than-thou-er!
John Maynard Keynes
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

It's more than fifty years since I wore cassock and surplice, but I still have a liking for plainsong.

Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace according to thy word. For mine eyes have seen thy …

I remember one Sunday the only worshippers were two of us in the choir and the vicar.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Here is a story thaty makes me fume

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49930673

Caerphilly council chief to appeal sacking after £4m pay saga

A council chief who was sacked after being suspended on full pay for more than six years has said he will appeal the decision.

Anthony O'Sullivan, the former chief executive of Caerphilly council, said he had "nothing to apologise for".

He was suspended in 2013 amid arguments over pay for senior staff and earned a salary of £137,000 a year since then.

what the heck is wrong with this country when such people feel entitled and they arent dealt with quickly? If I was a local tax payer I would be livid :evil: :evil: That £4m could have paid for so much rather than this?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

another rant why oh why do maps like Google or Bing maps or even OpenStreet maps use a low contrast "pastel" colourless scheme that you cant see in daylight, rather than like the OpenAndroMaps I now almost soley use?

vectorialmap_screenshot.jpg
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Dubai's Sheikh Mohammed abducted daughters and threatened wife - UK court

So its official. the head of state ( and tyrant) of Dubai is on the record s having commited an illegal act in the UK viz using agents to abduct his daughters. Thats kidnapping in my books. What he does in his own country is one thing but surly he cant be allowed to get a way with that here now the high court has spoken? He speaks of the kidnapping as a personal matter ( tell that to Boris when the cops were called to intervene in the todo with his girlfriend)

Sheikha Shamsa fled the family's UK estate in Surrey in 2000 but was later abducted in Cambridgeshire by agents of the Sheikh, allegedly injected with a sedative and forcibly returned to Dubai where she remains in captivity. A request by Cambridgeshire Police to visit Dubai to investigate her abduction was refused.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51756984

what happens now? He surly cant be allowed back in the country ( he has race horse interests here, is is part of the British establishment & has been hob nobbing with the Queen ) is surly personna non grata. He can't be arrested? There have to be consequences. These tin pot Arab countrys need to be dealt with.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/05/calls-for-sheikh-to-face-justice-over-family-abduction

The judgment raises questions about whether the Foreign Office blocked the police investigation into the disappearance of Shamsa, after she had fled to Cambridge from Surrey in 2000. McFarlane said he was unable to make a determination because the Foreign Office refused to cooperate on freedom of information grounds.

The whole matter stinks of an establishment breaking the law to protect its own?

Here is a report of the extent to which this man is part of the British establishment
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/05/kidnapping-court-judgment-can-sheikh-mohammeds-reputation-survive

( the Guardian is starting to put articles behind paywalls on desktops? so you might not be able to fully read these. I read these on my mobile which seem exempt, strange, so you might like to try that )
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if ever there was a good reason to remove citizenship these people would be it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-51467518

32 British men of Pakistani origins, sex offenders at the centre of the Oxfords's depraved underworld.

being born here dont count it seems these days as they have origins in Pakistan, so send this human rubbish there after they have served their sentences?
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

If I lived closer, I might start a rant about Cugel 'parping' in his workshop .................but then, he may have understanding neighbours who have a limited sense of smell.

As my age ever progresses, the things to rant about seem to increase: unable to afford a desert island deaf ears and selective blindness do help, as I continue my search for a well-mannered, unthreatening, rain-free 'bubble' to live in (while I still can).

Happy days? Well, mostly, yes, when I'm out and about on three wheels (I have a trailer).
Attachments
Le Pellerin.jpg
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mercalia: I have read 1600 articles in the Guardian on my smartphone in the last few months
Occasionally a begging text appears but no paywall :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies