Initialisms

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
robgul

Re: Initialisms

Post by robgul »

They are all from the EAM - European Acronym Mountain :D

astonishing .... if you Google "acronym" somewhere there is a massive resource that someone as compiled

Rob

Edit: The word "astonishing" has been substituted by the forum's profanasaurus component for a 3 letter acronym with a W as first letter . . .
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

**pedant alert**

Acronym has a specific meaning in that the abbreviation is made up of the first letter of each word, and the result is a new word. So for example 'NASA' is an acronym, but if you were to pronounce it 'en-eh-ess-eh' it would be an intitialism.

Most of the abbreviations under discussion are initialisms not acronyms.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do love acronyms that have two or more meanings
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

** further pedant alert**
Brucey wrote:**pedant alert**

Acronym has a specific meaning in that the abbreviation is made up of the first letter of each word, and the result is a new word. So for example 'NASA' is an acronym, but if you were to pronounce it 'en-eh-ess-eh' it would be an intitialism.

Most of the abbreviations under discussion are initialisms not acronyms.

cheers

I suspect that this is a case where the dictionaries – and thus the pedants – are wrong. Meaning, as you have said in the past Brucey, comes from usage, and certainly in the world I inhabit, everybody would refer to BBC, STD etc., (and TLA (three letter acronym)), as acronyms.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think some dictionaries are starting to include the 'wrong' meaning of the word acronym, because it is so widespread. Without acronym we wouldn't have bacronym…

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
scottg

Post by scottg »

TLA = 3 letter acronym

STI = Shimano Triple Incompatible
SPD = Simplex Pedaling Dynamics
AASHTA = As Always Sheldon Has the Answer
SRAM = Service, Replace Almost Monthly
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

.....and they change.

STD used to mean something to do with telephones, now it is a nasty itch. Whereas std, often means standard.

Define then use, or don't and confuse.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Brucey wrote:I think some dictionaries are starting to include the 'wrong' meaning of the word acronym, because it is so widespread. Without acronym we wouldn't have bacronym…

cheers

No, they aren't wrong, dictionaries themselves change with popular use/acceptance in modern language, thus they are correct in changing the meaning of acronym as people adapt and accept it in common use.
This is what nirakaro was saying.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

simonhill wrote:STD used to mean something to do with telephones, now it is a nasty itch. Whereas std, often means standard.

That STD has now morphed to STI, which is still a nasty itch .... to, er, spend money on handlebar bling?

TLA = three-letter abbreviation, BTW.

The 'onym' of acronym comes from the Greek for 'name' (other common instances are synonym and pseudonym), so it should be a pronounceable word, but not necessarily an initialism - e.g. radar = radio detection and ranging.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Brucey wrote:I think some dictionaries are starting to include the 'wrong' meaning of the word acronym, because it is so widespread. Without acronym we wouldn't have bacronym…

cheers

No, they aren't wrong, dictionaries themselves change with popular use/acceptance in modern language, thus they are correct in changing the meaning of acronym as people adapt and accept it in common use.

Brucey did not say the dictionaries are wrong; indeed he put the word 'wrong' in quotes. I sympathise with him regarding usage. When two words have similar but distinct meanings it reduces the power of the language for precise expression when incorrect use becomes widespread.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Chris Jeggo wrote:

cheers

Brucey did not say the dictionaries are wrong; indeed he put the word 'wrong' in quotes. I sympathise with him regarding usage. When two words have similar but distinct meanings it reduces the power of the language for precise expression when incorrect use becomes widespread.

We'll beg to differ on that, he clearly said they were including the wrong meaning, it's not 'wrong' or wrong if it is in fact the accepted use, it has therefore changed in meaning because of popularity.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

simonhill wrote:.....and they change.

STD used to mean something to do with telephones, now it is a nasty itch. Whereas std, often means standard.

Define then use, or don't and confuse.

Registration marks are fun, in one small town in Germany all vehicles are 'STD', standard trunk dialling :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Cyril Haearn wrote:More to the point, what do the user names on these fora signify? :wink:

Fairly obvious this one....one eyed cyclist.Not joking,lost it when I was 8yrs old,throwing stones as you do on the way home from school.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I like self-referencing acronyms - like the Linux facility for running Windows programmes: "WINE" which stands for Wine Is Not (an) Emulator. That particular example is classified as a recursive backronym by Wikipedia.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
freiston

Post by freiston »

Chris Jeggo wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:No, they aren't wrong, dictionaries themselves change with popular use/acceptance in modern language, thus they are correct in changing the meaning of acronym as people adapt and accept it in common use.

We'll beg to differ on that, he clearly said they were including the wrong meaning, it's not 'wrong' or wrong if it is in fact the accepted use, it has therefore changed in meaning because of popularity.

I hate the misuse of "literally", which, I recall hearing, has caused one dictionary to include its use as an intensifier adverb.

I understand that the word "nice" used to mean stupid or foolish - which makes the phrase "awfully nice but dim" a bit of a repetition.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)