Road Worlds

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Brucey

Re: Road Worlds

Post by Brucey »

Paulatic wrote:
I don't think she can be expected to last to the finish, not by herself.

With 24km to go I think you were wrong there Brucey :D

yes by gum she's going to do it, what a ride!

106km by herself. Wow.

Makes up for Rio...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Brucey wrote:just watching the women's road race and in the preamble Chris Boardman did a piece to camera on the bike, as normal. What was not normal was that he did it in street clothes, not cycling gear, and he used an electric bike. So do we think this is good because it appears to make cycling more inclusive, or is he just using the opportunity to help flog a few more eponymous electric bikes?

cheers

What, cycling along while talking to the camera? -99
The Master on an €bike, could be the beginning of the end of cycling :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Yes. A stunning long-distance solo win by Annemiek van Vleuten in the Women's RR yesterday. I had no idea it was the same girl who crashed so badly in the Olympics (at the time I thought she was a goner) until it was mentioned in the commentary.

Whose not to say that they don't double-up and also win the men's RR? I'll go for Niki Terpstra.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Men's race changed due to flooded roads. Buttertubs and Lofthouse(?) climbs gone, 9 laps not 7 of final circuit and 20mins later start. Van Derpoel, Gilbert, Sagan and Bennett to fight an uphill sprint?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Great news for the sprinters.
mjr

Post by mjr »

1982john wrote:Great news for the sprinters.

Less great for them is that a group of big hitters including Roglic, Quintana, Carapaz, Bodnar and Dillier is already 2 minutes ahead with 230km to go. It's looking like a long hard chase for the teams wanting a sprint.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

On the one hand there is a ten-man break, which is a good size, and on the other hand there is over 200km to go....if it was a ProTour race you would say there is a pretty good chance of the break being chased down. However in this race it needs an alliance between several countries with strong teams in order for them to be chased down. Whilst the break is intact, any team with a strong rider within it won't be so inclined to chase, and no single team is going to expend themselves until they have no choice.

It is an interesting dynamic for sure; at present the break is still going out; about three minutes.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

BBC red button coverage abysmal switching to BBC2 and missing the climb. Thankfully I could switch To Eurosport
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Paulatic wrote:BBC red button coverage abysmal switching to BBC2 and missing the climb. Thankfully I could switch To Eurosport

I've both on screen. BBC now recapping the climb. Hopefully soon live because I can almost recite the Zwift ad verbatim. A half hour gap in live coverage really is micturate poor by BBC but sadly typical of their abysmal cycling coverage.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Horribly wet up here. Was going to cycle over to Hawes but decided not to last night. Pleased I made that call now they’ve changed the route. So sorry for those in Swaledale and fans who have paid to stay in the Dales. Hope there’s no flooding damage.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Finally BBC resumes live coverage!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Does anyone have a link to the GPS map to dotwatch when no camera shots available due to plane refuelling?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

6 riders with 50seconds with only 13 miles to go.
Van der Peol and Trentin looking strongest, Moscon hanging in, Ben Swift still in the chasing pack at last sighting but only has about 20 riders in it, Belgium putting their riders forward to try and close the gap but lost one of their main riders due to a crash and couldn't recover.

All looking like the breakaway will make it stick but you never know.

Moscon drops off the front group, his day is done by looks of his head drop, nope Moscon gets back on, well done son.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Epic finish, properly brutal parcours and brilliant that the weather added into things, Teo GH absolutely in shellshock/spent but well done to him and all the rest that made it over the line, if they hadn't have shortened the course today I reckon they'd have been less than 20 finishers.
Pedersen
Trentin
Kung

Well done to Pedersen, thoroughly deserving world champion in those conditions.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Pedersen wins!

I thought MVDP and then Trentin had it in the bag, but it’s never over til it’s over.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com