The tories priorities?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: The tories priorities?

Post by 661-Pete »

Cugel wrote:Boris history:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ng-culture

In 2013, Johnson – who reputedly still greets former members with a cry of “Buller, Buller, Buller” – described it as “a truly shameful vignette of almost superhuman undergraduate arrogance, toffishness and twittishness”. He added: “But at the time you felt it was wonderful to be going round swanking it up.”

The woman who recruited members in Oxford in the 1980s said that she was horrified at the prospect of Johnson becoming prime minister.

“The characteristics he displayed at Oxford – entitlement, aggression, amorality, lack of concern for others – are still there, dressed up in a contrived, jovial image. It’s a mask to sanitise some ugly features.”

Boris is a yobo of the privileged variety often called Hooray Henries. But Boris is very yobbish still, now doing his hooligan on the nation as a whole. No wonder the boot boys and far right sociopaths flock to his tent.

Cugel
Funny thing is that, despite my being an Oxford undergrad. :oops: during the years 1967-70, I never heard of the Bullingdon at that time. And I'd read Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall, which portrays a fictional lookalike called the "Bollinger". Here is a passage from the book:
Evelyn Waugh wrote:It was a lovely evening. They broke up Mr Austen's grand piano, and stamped Lord Rending's cigars into his carpet, and smashed his china, and tore up Mr Partridge's sheets, and threw the Matisse into his water jug; Mr Sanders had nothing to break except his windows, but they found the manuscript at which he had been working for the Newdigate Prize Poem, and had great fun with that....

But I remember the "Hooray Henry"s all right! There were a clutch of them infesting my own college (note that at the time all the colleges were single-sex). There was a "dining club" of sorts local to my college, they used to drunkenly romp about the quads on occasion. Yes we had vandalism - it didn't affect me personally, unless you count having a lit firework thrown onto the wooden staircase outside my room as an example. Eventually the Dean had had enough, and he banned the club sine die. I should hope that 50 years later that club is still banned... Anyway my old college, like all the others, is now co-ed.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:I've been drunk and never squeezed the upper thigh of a woman in an unwanted advance...........

FWIW,my SinL's sister had a tweak at my thigh once,she wasn't drunk either :shock: ,although I was in good fettle at the time,wearing shorts and had just that morning shaved me legs,whilst I was flattered I thought retreat was the better part of valour in the circumstances.

The surprising thing is she's a devout RC twice weekly mass type, the sort butter wouldn't melt,which was all the more surprising.
She's probably still saying Hail Marys for her sins :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Middle aged male, upper class, white, hetrosexual and right wing - so yes Boris must be guilty by default.
Of course it's no coincidence at all that 20 years later she has decided to tell the world about it for maximum effect.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

windmiller wrote:Middle aged male, upper class, white, hetrosexual and right wing - so yes Boris must be guilty by default.
You're the one doing the stereotyping here - not anyone else. As it happens, I remember a guy at Oxford (his name, oddly enough, was Guy) who would have ticked all those boxes - except the "heterosexual" bit, blokes didn't 'out' their sexuality back then, so I wouldn't know. But as a potential Bullingdonite? - no, he was nothing of the sort, I'll have you know. In fact he was quite a decent person and a hard worker. I had no quarrels with him whatsoever. The 'upper class' label was due to him being named "The Honourable...." meaning he was son of a hereditary peer. But he never flaunted that.

So your stereotyping allegations break down there!

Of course it's no coincidence at all that 20 years later she has decided to tell the world about it for maximum effect.
Coincidence or no coincidence: just read others' posts on this topic.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

661-Pete wrote:
windmiller wrote:Middle aged male, upper class, white, hetrosexual and right wing - so yes Boris must be guilty by default.
You're the one doing the stereotyping here - not anyone else. As it happens, I remember a guy at Oxford (his name, oddly enough, was Guy) who would have ticked all those boxes - except the "heterosexual" bit, blokes didn't 'out' their sexuality back then, so I wouldn't know. But as a potential Bullingdonite? - no, he was nothing of the sort, I'll have you know. In fact he was quite a decent person and a hard worker. I had no quarrels with him whatsoever. The 'upper class' label was due to him being named "The Honourable...." meaning he was son of a hereditary peer. But he never flaunted that.

So your stereotyping allegations break down there!

Coincidence or no coincidence: just read others' posts on this topic.

I read the posts, which is why I typed, it's no coincidence at all that 20 years later she has decided to tell the world about it for maximum effect.

Stereotyping? Oh i just thought I was typing facts regarding Boris. I fail to see the relevance of your Guy of Oxford memory.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

windmiller wrote:I read the posts, which is why I typed, it's no coincidence at all that 20 years later she has decided to tell the world about it for maximum effect.
There is some truth in the fact that a victim will hold back from "telling the world" until she (or sometimes, he) thinks the complaint is most likely to be believed. That is very important to them. I agree that it is probably not a coincidence that this story emerges a day or two after that of Boris's alleged peccadillo with one Ms Arcuri...

That does not imply that Ms Edwardes' story is fabricated.

Stereotyping? Oh i just thought I was typing facts regarding Boris. I fail to see the relevance of your Guy of Oxford memory.
You added the words "guilty by default" - meant sarcastically. That amounts to stereotyping. As to "failing to see...." etc. - can't help you there.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

661-Pete wrote:
windmiller wrote:I read the posts, which is why I typed, it's no coincidence at all that 20 years later she has decided to tell the world about it for maximum effect.
There is some truth in the fact that a victim will hold back from "telling the world" until she (or sometimes, he) thinks the complaint is most likely to be believed. That is very important to them. I agree that it is probably not a coincidence that this story emerges a day or two after that of Boris's alleged peccadillo with one Ms Arcuri...

That does not imply that Ms Edwardes' story is fabricated.

You added the words "guilty by default" - meant sarcastically. That amounts to stereotyping. As to "failing to see...." etc. - can't help you there.

Well In your opinion it appears so.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

20 years ago a woman would have been told 'toughen up
Men do that get used to it.' So no surprise she kept quiet. Thanks to some courageous women in recent years that notion has been exposed for what it is.

Sadly, there are still men who don't give a damn or who victim blame. I do hope none of them frequent these pages.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Here endeth the latest lesson... er, I mean the latest pile of tripe :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
slowster

Post by slowster »

Tory Party members galvanised at a buzzing Conservative Party Conference:

https://twitter.com/artymesia/status/1178407898831085570

Andrea Leadsom firing up the party faithfull:

https://twitter.com/dcakraemer/status/1178658460986159104
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

slowster wrote:
mercalia wrote:sounds to me like he was drunk

That is not an excuse.
mercalia wrote:Unless this is a habit of his I dont see any point in raking it up other than to harm the man now

As I understand it, she was writing an article to mark the second anniversary of the MeToo movement. It's quite understandable that a female journalist writing about the MeToo phenomenon would describe her own personal experience of being on the receiving end of sexual groping by a man in a position of power. The fact that in her case it was Boris Johnson and that makes her story so sensational and newsworthy is not something which she had any control over. Boris Johnson was the person in a position of power as editor of the Spectator, and the person who was in a position to ensure that this would not come back to damage him years later, by not doing it in the first place. The fact that she is now senior enough and secure enough in the industry to speak out*, and the timing happens to be bad for Boris Johnson, is not her fault. If she is exploiting its newsworthiness and sensationalism, well so what - once again, that is not the point. The point was what he did and what it tells us about the man and his character.

I agree with you however that the key question for all practical purposes is whether it was a habit of his. If it was, and other women start to come forward, Johnson is toast. If he goes, the likelihood of a no deal Brexit would probably go with him.

* This was her first article as deputy editor of the Sunday Times.

We'll her experience is hardly a Harvey W moment. The MeToo thing has been around some time now and she chose not to add her experience before now. Why? She presumably thought it not significant enough? Maybe Boris misread the signs as he was drunk. We don't know if she chose to sit next him or was assigned a seat?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:Here endeth the latest lesson... er, I mean the latest pile of tripe :D

Al

OO! You're aweful,but I like you! :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
slowster

Post by slowster »

mercalia wrote:We'll her experience is hardly a Harvey W moment. The MeToo thing has been around some time now and she chose not to add her experience before now. Why? She presumably thought it not significant enough?

You're right. It's just a big fuss about nothing very important.

mercalia wrote:Maybe Boris misread the signs as he was drunk. We don't know if she chose to sit next him or was assigned a seat?

For all we know she may even have smiled at him. Probably had a short skirt on as well.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Oldjohnw wrote:20 years ago a woman would have been told 'toughen up
Men do that get used to it.' So no surprise she kept quiet. Thanks to some courageous women in recent years that notion has been exposed for what it is.

Sadly, there are still men who don't give a damn or who victim blame. I do hope none of them frequent these pages.

Plus 1. But I don't share your "hope".
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It's a funny thing how people can get all angry about wearing helmets or electric bikes or children sounding car horns but couldn't give a fig about young women been sexually molested.

Perhaps I'm too politically correct.
John