Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
old_windbag

Re: Pictures of your bike(s)

Post by old_windbag »

I've recently built up a Light Blue Darwin as an all round tourer/gravel bike. I've posted detailed information plus an image at my blogsite( it's easier than trying to post images here ). The detail of the blog post may be of use for anyone currently deciding on a frame-set or fully built bike in this category.

https://thelonewheeler.blogspot.com/2019/09/my-latest-bike-build-light-blue-darwin.html

Hope this may add an alternative option to someones wish-list.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Latest incarnation of my 1976 Dawes Kingpin. 3 speed sturmey dynohub. 500A wheels replaced by 20" 406 wheels which meant i had to manufacture some drop bolts to lower the brakes. Steel seatpin replaced by an alloy one. Original chainset replaced by Stronglight cranks cut down to 150mm. Gearing lowered to a more sensible level by changing the rear sprocket from 16 to 19 teeth. Lighting fitted using a salvaged B&M lumotec front light in which the electronics had failed. I rewired the led only to a simple bridge rectifier using 4 diodes taped with green insulating tape around the rear carrier leg. This then supplies the 1 Farad capacitor,( glued to the back of the rear led bracket ) salvaged from the front light which acts as a standlight keeping the rear led flashing for a good 10 minutes even after only 1 minute of riding if stationary. The lighting load means the dynamo runs at 4volts ac and after rectification it drops to 3.2v dc meaning i could use an off the shelf rear led with the battery compartment cut off and the dc supply cable soldered directly to the battery terminals. I kept it simple by not fitting a switch so the lights are on all the time, to turn them off i could just remove one of the leads from the dynohub if necessary. The lights do have a low speed flicker but soon disapppears as speed picks up and is not a problem. I suspect this would be less of a problem with a bottle dynamo which spins faster.

heres a photo of a previous incarnation viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3832&p=379088&hilit=kingpin#p379088

and as it is now. Weighs 14.3 Kg :D

DSCF0012.JPG
DSCF0014.JPG
DSCF0015.JPG
Last edited by rjb on 14 Sep 2019, 3:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Hers my Cannondale CAAD8. Given to me by my son in law after I broke my Trek Domane, it’s a little bit small for me but fits fine now I’ve put a slightly longer upward sloping stem on it.

It’s 11 speed 105 - 50-34 on the front. 11-28 at the back.
Attachments
F524DF55-E8C2-43C3-B857-791E019A9F7A.jpeg
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Here’s the latest steed. A £50 eBay special that is the cheapest bike I’ve ever bought by a long way. A 1980 Viscount Metro 3 that is in amazing condition for the year. SA 3 speed and 26” / 650A wheels. It also came with Woods valves on the inner tubes, something that I’m sticking with despite non of my track pumps fitting them ( behold it’s vintage purity! ). It’s bought as a town / shopping bike and I absolutely love it.
PS the dyno lights even work :-)
Attachments
626517B1-E4F6-4F09-AC5B-07E53CE48AC4.jpeg
53DBB544-CB26-419F-A6A4-21B9FA9F00FC.jpeg
rjb

Post by rjb »

What's the braking like in the wet with those steel rims.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PH

Post by PH »

My Airnimal Joey Rohloff in full non camping touring mode, front mudguard removed for easy transportation and the dynamo light because it's a bit vulnerable, though it would only take a few min to re-attach. Bought S/H via this forum last year and the used Rohloff added a few months later. Just completed a hilly but not high mileage tour of the Picos, the first tour I've used it for, generally very pleased, no issues riding and handling, gearing and brakes spot on, riding position a little different with less reach but never uncomfortable. Might make some changes to ease packing, otherwise looking forward to using it for some more touring.
Joe on tour.jpg

And here it is all bagged up ready for the bus (On which I might start another thread)
Joe on tour-2.jpg
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

rjb wrote:Latest incarnation of my 1976 Dawes Kingpin. 3 speed sturmey dynohub. 500A wheels replaced by 20" 406 wheels which meant i had to manufacture some drop bolts to lower the brakes. Steel seatpin replaced by an alloy one. Original chainset replaced by Stronglight cranks cut down to 150mm. Gearing lowered to a more sensible level by changing the rear sprocket from 16 to 19 teeth. Lighting fitted using a salvaged B&M lumotec front light in which the electronics had failed. I rewired the led only to a simple bridge rectifier using 4 diodes taped with green insulating tape around the rear carrier leg. This then supplies the 1 Farad capacitor,( glued to the back of the rear led bracket ) salvaged from the front light which acts as a standlight keeping the rear led flashing for a good 10 minutes even after only 1 minute of riding if stationary. The lighting load means the dynamo runs at 4volts ac and after rectification it drops to 3.2v dc meaning i could use an off the shelf rear led with the battery compartment cut off and the dc supply cable soldered directly to the battery terminals. I kept it simple by not fitting a switch so the lights are on all the time, to turn them off i could just remove one of the leads from the dynohub if necessary. The lights do have a low speed flicker but soon disapppears as speed picks up and is not a problem. I suspect this would be less of a problem with a bottle dynamo which spins faster.

heres a photo of a previous incarnation viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3832&p=379088&hilit=kingpin#p379088

and as it is now. Weighs 14.3 Kg :D

DSCF0012.JPGDSCF0014.JPGDSCF0015.JPG

Was just reading about the superiority of the Kingpin compared to the raleigh 20 shopper.
Nice bike.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

windmiller wrote:Was just reading about the superiority of the Kingpin compared to the raleigh 20 shopper.
Nice bike.

Do you have a link/references?
Sweep
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Sweep wrote:
windmiller wrote:Was just reading about the superiority of the Kingpin compared to the raleigh 20 shopper.
Nice bike.

I hope that at some point some links are posted. From what little I understand of it the Raleigh used a lot of non-standard components whereas the Dawes used both standard (fit) and better quality parts. For what it’s worth the Dawes comes in both folding and non folding versions. If I had one then I think that I’d want alloy rims (rather than the original steel ones) but I anticipate that they are hard to find in that size and spoke hole number.

I love this thread, it’s so good to see that real cyclists can and do ride a very wide variety of bikes.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

IMG_0138.JPG
My Hetchins
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

IMG_0135.JPG
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Sweep wrote:
Nice bike.

Not sure which one it was but here are some links

https://raleightwenty.webs.com/thedaweskingpin.htm

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37410

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw_R0Snasjc
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

531CTC.jpg

My slowly evolving "Simon Davey" bought on here. Very smooth ride (should be with XTR M900 hubs on D521s and skinny 531 All Terrain with LWB geometry) and XT Thumbies have long been my favourite shifters! Second most comfortable bike (of at least 100) that I've owned, even after dropping tyres down to 1.5s from 26 x 2.0 (which were an uncomfortably close squeeze in rear end. Bosses too close really for Vs, but sort of get by with slim blocks. Keep wanting to spend money on it, but short of switching to drops with bar cons nothing REALLY needs improving! Mint retro XTR C'set maybe....
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

OK so technically not a bike(yet) but the start of my new build 8)
Lynskey R480 Disc

Hoping to have it finished for our annual Mallorca trip next May.
PH

Post by PH »

New workbike, Deliveroo/Just Eat, well new frameset and front rim the rest moved over from it's written off predecessor. Pretty pleased so far, a couple of weeks, stable and smooth, the right tool for the job. I'd rather have not needed the tensioner, but couldn't find a frame that met the other criteria and price that didn't need it.
P1100570.JPG