Bluewater anti cycling stance

deckertim

Bluewater anti cycling stance

Post by deckertim »

There has been a long campaign in Kent to get a signalised crossing for Ncn1. Thanks @gaz

Currently cyclists and pedestrians have to take their lives in their hands crossing on a blind bend that has fast moving traffic leaving the Bluewater shopping centre. 

As part of junction improvements it was finally agreed to install a crossing. 

However, we have now learnt that Bluewater aided by consultants called Vectos are going to object to this as it will inconvenience their 'guests' . 

They clearly don't value the safety of non motorists and I cannot begin to say how angry this makes me. 

More details below. I am attempting to shame them into withdrawing their objections. 

If you are on twitter please comment and share this tweet. 

Thanks. 

https://twitter.com/deckertim/status/11 ... 33376?s=19

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my JSN-L21 using hovercraft full of eels.
mjr

Re: Bluewater anti cycling stance

Post by mjr »

I've commented. I see you had a supportive reply from Vectos but nothing yet from Bluewater.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
deckertim

Post by deckertim »

Thanks. Hopefully this will all turn out OK, but having seen the way that Canary Wharf has objected to cycling infrastructure in the past I have little trust in big business.

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I would contact sporting goods & bike shops there, like Ribble, JD sports, Footlocker, etc. and ask their support for active travel to & from Bluewater.

Shops raising it it with centre management may have more effect than cycle campaigners.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
deckertim

Post by deckertim »

mjr wrote:I've commented. I see you had a supportive reply from Vectos but nothing yet from Bluewater.
Unfortunately, Vectos don't appear to be telling the full story. Their consultant definitely raised the issue at the roundtable discussion and this has now been picked up at the Public Inquiry.
Please check twitter for updates and feel free to comment.

https://twitter.com/deckertim/status/11 ... 48929?s=19

gaz

Post by gaz »

Vectos are simply doing whatever their client (Bluewater) has paid them to do.

At present I am wondering whether it was a fishing trip at the Public Inquiry's round table discussion, to see if anybody else present would jump on their bandwagon.

Thinking about it further the real client will be Lend Lease Group, who own the Bluewater site. Added to the Twitter thread, let's see if they respond.

Digging around the Public Inquiry docs, KCC, DBC, GBC, and EDC all show broad support for the signalised crossing. KCC have some concerns with regard to design detail, unsurprising as they'll be responsible for it once the scheme is complete and the highway is handed back over to them.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade