Last night I caught thieves breaking into bike sheds of a well known hostel

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Last night I caught thieves breaking into bike sheds of a well known hostel

Post by Mick F »

Yes, well done!

Years ago, I stayed at Lochranza SYHA on the Isle of Arran.
Terrible bike shed, and my Mercian was the first or second bike in that afternoon. Shed was un-lockable, though Mercian was locked.

I checked on it later, and the shed was full of MTBs all manky and dirty and strewn about everywhere, with my precious Mercian sitting proudly and cleanly and prominently on show.

I objected strongly to the scene before me, so rescued Mercian and took him up to the dorm where he leant against the wall behind my bunk!!! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

1982john wrote:I dont want to say where yet as they may not have fixed them.

I was awake as usual at 3am and heard some metal clunking noises outside which did begin to seem unusual but when I heard voices I knew something was up. Fortunately, my room could have a partial view of the bike sheds and with the window being open I could hear it quite well and saw some lights there.

I got dressed went down the 3 flights of stairs and recalled that at this hostel you could get to the bike sheds via the self-catering kitchen (instead of having to go all around the grounds like people normally would).

I opened the door and made some noise rattling the tables and chairs and they legged it pronto. Thankfully they didnt think of taking on their accuser as Im 5ft 4 and 140 lbs :lol:
Once they had ran away I inspected the damage. They had broken the lock of the shed. My bike was ok but they had tried to crowbar cable lock by twisting it and damaged a rear wheel of another two bikes. I took my bike to my room

I called the contact number left by reception and some staff and I handed it over to them. Got to sleep at 5am for one hour...

I felt lucky myself as I was only using a cable lock and if they knew what they were doing (I think they were amatur making too much noise) could have had my bike easily.

What a small world :D
I was at a family gathering yesterday and my niece and her husband say "Thank you". It was their bikes that were targeted.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I stayed a few nights at Lee Valley YHA north of London @ 50% off deal. :D :D
very nice yha open 24/7. Cheshunt station is justa few minutes walk away and the lee valley lakes on the door step. Well worth a visit if you are looking for some where to stay in London. Look at how they protect guests bikes. They have heavy duty steel cargo like boxes to put them in

click to enlarge
WP_20191001_13_32_07_Pro - Copy.jpg

WP_20191001_13_31_38_Pro - Copy.jpg

They have 5 of them. I didnt get a look inside as I didnt have my bike with me
radek

Post by radek »

Well done ! Very brave of you.

I had once a guy trying to steal my bike. I went to a supermarket and could see the bike through the window. A junkey looking dude started hovering around my bike. He had a backpack and I bet that he had bolt cutters inside. I have approached him and asked what is going on . He then aks me if the bike was electric and do I have a problem. I told him to FO! I went ballistic and almost got into a fight with the guy. He run away :) My bike is my best friend and now way I will let anyone take it grrrr.
Invicta Tourist

Post by Invicta Tourist »

I stayed at the Lee Valley hostel back in 2017 with my cycling group. We put the bikes in the storage units at night, usually one or two bikes into each unit, but the units could probably hold three bikes if they're carefully placed.
Attachments
IMG_20170513_114720-240x320.jpg
IMG_20170513_114720-240x320.jpg (70.69 KiB) Viewed 551 times
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Invicta Tourist wrote:I stayed at the Lee Valley hostel back in 2017 with my cycling group. We put the bikes in the storage units at night, usually one or two bikes into each unit, but the units could probably hold three bikes if they're carefully placed.

so no bottom? are they bolted to the ground ( I hope so, other wise just tip it over?)
Invicta Tourist

Post by Invicta Tourist »

No, you're right, Mercalia, they're a five sided structure with no metal base. It could be that this storage unit is bolted to the ground. I can see what look like bolts in the near right and far left cormers.
Shuggie

Post by Shuggie »

Invicta Tourist wrote:No, you're right, Mercalia, they're a five sided structure with no metal base. It could be that this storage unit is bolted to the ground. I can see what look like bolts in the near right and far left cormers.

It looks like the Asgard 2 bike store which doesn’t come with a floor, but has bolts to fasten it to a concrete or other suitable base hooks like that’s what they’ve done).

Very much doubt you’d be able to get 3 bikes in without loosening & turning handlebars and possibly removing a couple of pedals too; might try it out on mine [emoji848]

Hugh
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I emailed the hostel about this issue and seems they are a bit lacking in brain cells there as the only reply I got was yes they have bike sheds just ask at the reception :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I will try again. Dont seem to understand English :roll: What makes me think they arent bolted to the ground is the rather haphazard way they are placed on the ground?
terrybiker

Post by terrybiker »

Yeah I had one of these lockers for a while, they are pretty secure, I had an attempted breakin – they never got in, but made a mess. I spoke to Asgard – they said these are shelters for everyday use, secure, but not long term. They suggested one of their Secured By Design ones if theft is an issue or for long term storage or top end bikes – they cost more, but I got 10% off my bike insurance so not bad. Seems rock solid and stronger than the shelter.