Cycle From Amsterdam Port to City Centre

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ashnew

Cycle From Amsterdam Port to City Centre

Post by ashnew »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had cycled from the Port of Amsterdam into the City Centre and could offer advice on routes?
foxyrider

Re: Cycle From Amsterdam Port to City Centre

Post by foxyrider »

When you say 'Port of Amsterdam', do you mean the ferry port (which is actually at Ijmuiden) or do you mean the docks along the Ij waterfront (of which there are many!)? :)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

cycle.travel suggests around 19 miles, pan flat.

Never done the route myself but it looks relatively straightforward.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/128458
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Might be worth following long distance cycle routes i.e. LF1 and LF20. The distance may be longer but the cycle paths tend to be really nice and so can often be quicker.

Taking multiple turns in any city slows progress and is tiring. I found in Amsterdam that following a natural marker like a river is very helpful for the navigationally challenged like myself.
Ron

Post by Ron »

ashnew wrote:I was wondering if anyone had cycled from the Port of Amsterdam into the City Centre and could offer advice on routes?

I've had difficulty finding my way out of Ijmuiden in the past so prefer to leave the ferry terminal head east and keeping the Noordzeekanaal close on the left towards Velsen Zuid. Cross the Zijk kanaal following Amsterdamsweg past the junction into Ruigoord and on to swing right onto Westpoortweg. Passing a dock area on your left, Vopak terminal and Oiltanking Amsterdam, and on towards Westpoort. After that it gets more difficult to explain but should be clearly signed Amsterdam Centrum or Centraal Station.
Segregated cycle route all the way, no gradients, well signposted.

atlas_shrugged wrote:
Might be worth following long distance cycle routes i.e. LF1 and LF20.

LF1 doesn't go in to Amsterdam and LF 20 doesn't go in to Ijmuiden, but could be a possibility after reaching Sloterdijk rail station
Last edited by Ron on 3 Oct 2019, 8:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonners

Post by Jonners »

I realise this is a very late response but if it helps, we cycled in from Ijmuiden last year - I cheated by having google routes on my phone, set it for cycling and just followed the coloured line! The previous poster described the tank storage area so we were on the same route. I clocked it as 17 miles into the Centraal station area.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've ridden from Ijmuiden to the centre of Amsterdam by following the signs saying Amsterdam. And then back again doing the same, didn't have any problems.
mjr

Post by mjr »

whoof wrote:I've ridden from Ijmuiden to the centre of Amsterdam by following the signs saying Amsterdam. And then back again doing the same, didn't have any problems.

For those new to NL, it's the signs with cycle symbols on the top of the posts and on a bicycle, you can follow the names in green or red, so I'd pick whichever has the lower distance.

Alternatively, it looks like following cycleways alongside N202 and S102 near the river is a direct way into the city. Maybe not the prettiest and through some industrial areas.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Why not just take a nice ride through the dunes in the Zuid Kennemerland National Park to Haarlem and take a train.

It’s a fairly easy ride to follow the main road along by the canal if you just turn left out of the ferry port, and keep left (but without crossing the canal by either a bridge or ferry) as far as Westport. You can head South from there to take a train from Halfweg.

You can get most of the way from Halfweg to the centre of Amsterdam along by a canal just North of the railway line, then along a cycle path in the same general direction through Sloterdijk and the Westerparc. You will be pretty close to the city centre by then.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Don't miss out Haarlem. Truly stunning little town with a fantastic medieval square with some great cafes. I used a wire strop (of the type that come with D-locks) to lock my bike to a pillar on the town hall undercroft and had a great explore and a fantastic Indonesian inspired sandwich for brunch).

Then I went South for about 2 miles so I could cross the river on a tiny ferry before cross-countrying to Amsterdam arriving near Rembrandtsplein.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

st599_uk wrote:Don't miss out Haarlem. Truly stunning little town with a fantastic medieval square with some great cafes. I used a wire strop (of the type that come with D-locks) to lock my bike to a pillar on the town hall undercroft and had a great explore and a fantastic Indonesian inspired sandwich for brunch).

Then I went South for about 2 miles so I could cross the river on a tiny ferry before cross-countrying to Amsterdam arriving near Rembrandtsplein.

And if you do go to Haarlem, I think the Schalkwijkerweg cycleway under the Schipholweg bridge is below the normal water level, which some may find an amusing ride.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

whoof wrote:I've ridden from Ijmuiden to the centre of Amsterdam by following the signs saying Amsterdam. And then back again doing the same, didn't have any problems.

That could be confusing, following the signs to Amsterdam top get to Ijmuiden :lol:

Sorry, do know what you meant but on muy first read it just hit the funny bone.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!