Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

mikeymo

Re: Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

Post by mikeymo »

fastpedaller wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:
I think the Police wouldn't be interested at all (even if he'd knocked me down) - but I'm sure they'd be interested if I did it to them :shock: So I'll pass on that opportunity :lol:

You could report it anyway. If you report it somebody at least has to make a record. And consider if it's worth considering. If they get enough then the police might take action, either in the form of a prosecution or driver "re-education". In my city of Leeds, West Yorkshire Police just had a close pass campaign. Officer on bike, calling close passes in to officers further up the road, pulling drivers up, offering a course instead of prosecution etc.

No point in reporting because I didn't get the vehicle number (they'd probably want a description of the driver as well :? ), additionally I'm of the belief (rightly or wrongly) that cyclists' complaints to Police just add up to US (the cyclists) being labelled as 'the common factor' and therefore the cause (in the eyes of the authorities).

Do you have any evidence to support this "belief"?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Jaywalking isn't a thing in the UK, and it never will be. For the simple reason that rights of way were there for people before they were for cars.

If people *act* like that, well, it's the motor-centric culture, and it has to change.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Ellieb wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:
Mick F wrote:Don't blame motorists.

I understand there were more people killed on the roads BEFORE the advent of the motorcar.
Horse-drawn vehicles were the killer.

This tells me you simply don't get it, you think might is right and that those with might have greater priority and entitlement to travel unencumbered than people getting in the way whom are much more vulnerable/have less might, and if they get in the way and get hurt it's their fault, not the person who is travelling in a carriage that kills/maims with impunity ... :roll:

as a person who rides a bike I thought you would understand how that is massively wrong, seemingly not!

Alternatively: People using different forms of transport need to realise that we all have to get along together, if we are all going to get where we are going in safety. I won’t wander aimlessly into the road if you don’t drive on the pavement. I’ll pay attention when I’m riding my bike, if you’ll treat me with courtesy & consideration. Being on foot doesn’t make me morally superior in the same way ‘paying road tax’ doesn’t give you more right to use the public highway.

This, a thousand times. The "them and us" mentality, and it's partner "I'm right, you're wrong" is displayed in every internet forum, and no less in discussions about transport. God knows why. But it's depressing, and disappointingly I see it in many cycling forums, with umpteen people referring to themselves as "cyclists" if engaged in a discussion about traffic. Bizarrely they even refer to "pedestrians" as though it's a distinct group - anybody who cycles is also a pedestrian, some of the time. I drive a car, ride a cycle, and use my legs to walk, at various times. I'm in all three groups. What should I do, start a special internet group where I can call myself "a moron" in three different ways?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

mikeymo wrote:
This, a thousand times. The "them and us" mentality, and it's partner "I'm right, you're wrong" is displayed in every internet forum, and no less in discussions about transport. God knows why. But it's depressing, and disappointingly I see it in many cycling forums, with umpteen people referring to themselves as "cyclists" if engaged in a discussion about traffic. Bizarrely they even refer to "pedestrians" as though it's a distinct group - anybody who cycles is also a pedestrian, some of the time. I drive a car, ride a cycle, and use my legs to walk, at various times. I'm in all three groups. What should I do, start a special internet group where I can call myself "a moron" in three different ways?

Agreed - However I suspect a good proportion of motons only use their legs to walk a short distance to their car! :roll:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't like 'them' and 'us', but I also don't entirely agree with the 'everybody has to get along'. Drivers, by nature of being in control of a machine with killing capability have a far greater burden of responsibility to other road users. Pedestrians and cyclists follow the rules, and still get killed.

Secondly, cars are killing us. Not just because of crashes, but also, pollution, microplastics, lack of exercise, social isolation, and many other things.

I am a driver, as well as a pedestrian and a cyclist, yet I will blame drivers. I don't deserve their pollution and danger, and neither do my children.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Don't blame motorists.

I understand there were more people killed on the roads BEFORE the advent of the motorcar.
Horse-drawn vehicles were the killer.

This tells me you simply don't get it, you think might is right and that those with might have greater priority and entitlement to travel unencumbered than people getting in the way whom are much more vulnerable/have less might, and if they get in the way and get hurt it's their fault, not the person who is travelling in a carriage that kills/maims with impunity ... :roll:

as a person who rides a bike I thought you would understand how that is massively wrong, seemingly not!

But don't blame Mick,it's been ingrained in UK citizens since they first went to school,don't cross the road unless it's clear and safe to do so,ie; no motors coming.
It's been that way for a long time.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Vorpal wrote:Jaywalking isn't a thing in the UK, and it never will be. For the simple reason that rights of way were there for people before they were for cars.

If people *act* like that, well, it's the motor-centric culture, and it has to change.

No, but as others have said, looking out for just even a fraction of a second when by not you might cause harm to others should be the minimum we expect of human beings, obviously when you're in a big lump that kills and maims in excess of 20million people globally then those are the people we should target first and foremost, the next group should be those on foot as even the bias/discriminating anti cyclist police apportion blame to people on foot more so than people on bikes when those two groups collide and someone dies.

If a person on foot is giving another person absolutely no chance whatsoever to react even when the other party has slowed to little more than jogging speed, have swerved once or twice to avoid a collision and there's still a collision then isn't it fair that we apportion blame on the person who has done little if anything to avoid a collision with another person?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If a person on foot is giving another person absolutely no chance whatsoever to react even when the other party has slowed to little more than jogging speed, have swerved once or twice to avoid a collision and there's still a collision then isn't it fair that we apportion blame on the person who has done little if anything to avoid a collision with another person?

I only said that drivers have a greater burden of responsibility. I didn't say they had the only reponsibility.