Bike built from bits

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Bike built from bits

Post by reohn2 »

cycle tramp wrote:Just toadd that that I really like those handlebars - does anyone know what that style is called? I'd really like to get a set :-)

On one Mary's and PlanetX Mike bars are similar
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Brucey wrote:if the rack is mounted on the other set of eyes, maybe it will clear the mudguard?

Maybe, but I’ve done my back in, the mate is picking it up shortly and he won’t be in the slightest bit bothered either way :D.

The rack is pretty crusty no-name thing of unknown origin, but seeing as it works I’m going to banish all thoughts of its tilt and leave it as it is. At least until the first service...

Mudguards are definitely 26 inch chromoplastics. I don’t think SKS make them anymore.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

horizon wrote:That means there isn't much space between mudguard and rack so perhaps a 700c rack would do better.

Perhaps something for ElCani to make sure he has in his box of unneeded parts for the next time!

Looks good, though. May it improve the life of your friend as I’m sure it will.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Samuel D wrote:
horizon wrote:That means there isn't much space between mudguard and rack so perhaps a 700c rack would do better.

Perhaps something for ElCani to make sure he has in his box of unneeded parts for the next time!

Well I've got one, as everyone should have really. :wink:

The point is though that no-one seems to know why the rack won't fit properly.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

horizon wrote:
Samuel D wrote:

Well I've got one, as everyone should have really. :wink:

The point is though that no-one seems to know why the rack won't fit properly.

It's because of the unusual position of the forward eye on this frame, it looks both a bit further forward and maybe 10-15mm lower than is typical.
Munsell

Post by Munsell »

Is it not possible to move the forward eye?
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Munsell wrote:Is it not possible to move the forward eye?

Nothing is possible, I’ve given the bike away. :lol:
scottg

Post by scottg »

I brought my newly built pride and joy to a ride.
A bike enthusiast looked at for while then said. "Emptied the parts bin did ya ?"
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

I used the rearmost bolthole on my Cannondale M700 frame the one you have the mudguard in. this makes the rack flat and has the added advantage of great heel clearance when touring. I then attached the mudguard to the rack as shown.
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-10-04-15-20-13.png
Screenshot_2019-10-04-15-20-36.png
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

zenitb wrote:I used the rearmost bolthole on my Cannondale M700 frame the one you have the mudguard in. this makes the rack flat and has the added advantage of great heel clearance when touring. I then attached the mudguard to the rack as shown.

Nice job, I may well revisit the rack fitting when something else goes wrong. Any chance of a pic of your whole bike?
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

ElCani wrote:
zenitb wrote:I used the rearmost bolthole on my Cannondale M700 frame the one you have the mudguard in. this makes the rack flat and has the added advantage of great heel clearance when touring. I then attached the mudguard to the rack as shown.

Nice job, I may well revisit the rack fitting when something else goes wrong. Any chance of a pic of your whole bike?

My tragic blog post on the Cannondale mods is here http://zenit-b.blogspot.com/2016/11/can ... g.html?m=1

I really like these classic Cannondale frames...probably the last genuine "made in the USA" frames before they shipped it sll out to Taiwan ...I'm keeping mine :-)
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

My tragic blog post on the Cannondale mods is here http://zenit-b.blogspot.com/2016/11/can ... g.html?m=1

I really like these classic Cannondale frames...probably the last genuine "made in the USA" frames before they shipped it sll out to Taiwan ...I'm keeping mine :-)

Turns out I’ve read that in the past! A great example of one of the things I love about good quality bike frames - they can have a useful life spanning decades, in multiple iterations/roles.
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

I’ve built a few mtb-all purpose bikes, most recently for my daughter to use at University. It’s based upon a true-temper cromo steel Diamondback of 1991 vintage, which was in fantastic condition and cost £50. Like you, I bought some Vittoria hypers at £8 each from Planet X. I also bought a new chain and had a nos wide range cassette which I put on. Old mudguards, her favourite saddle and her lomo frame bag finish the build. This frame bag is great for her U lock, drink, pump, tube, snack and waterproof..it is made of ortlieb-type material and is 100% waterproof.

The pedals were my son’s old ones which I cleaned up and re-sprayed black, so they no longer look tatty anymore.

Since taking the photos I’ve changed the wheel and seat post quick releases for Allen bolts (spa Allen bolt skewers) - for security.
Attachments
DEF9653C-D154-457D-A3AF-8774E996E6C5.jpeg
5D49E142-59DD-42B3-A280-900D08CA6447.jpeg
Last edited by hoppy58 on 5 Oct 2019, 12:38pm, edited 2 times in total.
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Now that really does look brand new, nice!
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

Thanks..that’s the problem. It looks too nice for a university bike!! Hopefully any potential thieves will pass over it in favour of something a bit more up-to-date!!