Centaur 11 rear mech wobbly????

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
wheel71

Re: Centaur 11 rear mech wobbly????

Post by wheel71 »

I'm not a fan of shimano gears, although I know a lot of people are very happy with them. I put up with them for years and still have it on a couple of bikes but was never happy with the shifting. I find campag stuff much easier to set up and the levers just feel perfect in my hands. Just hope the new rear mech lasts longer (I'll be keeping the receipt safe).
Did another ride on the bike today and it's noticeably worse just after the one ride. Lots of hills, rough Irish boreens and gear changes. I'm not very good at smooth easy roads. :wink:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW in 10s 'road' shimano kept the old shift ratio (1.7) and went from 'washing lines' to underbartape shifting cables. They thought they could make it work well enough by using coated cable inners. They were wrong. The cable pull between the middle gears is only 2.3mm; the slightest problem with the cables and the shifting goes to pot.

So when 11s came along campag stuck with the same shift ratio as had worked for them before, but shimano changed to a different shift ratio so that the cable pull is a bit more reasonable. When they introduced Tiagra 10s they uses the 11s shift ratio not the older 10s shift ratio as was used in the previous 10s groupsets.

So in 11s reliability/shift quality terms there isn't much to choose between Campag and shimano, IMHO; much of the difference is down to the exact chain and cassette that are used. The cable pull with shimano 11s is fractionally longer than with campag 11s, I think. What will probably swing it from a user perspective is probably the ergonomics of the shifters, and that is as much to do with familiarity as anything else, I'd have said.

Shimano have moved away from the once-endemic twin sprung pivot derailleur designs, and now use single sprung pivot arrangements in their later designs. They look ugly, but they work very well.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
wheel71

Post by wheel71 »

I have shimano 5700 10 speed on the old Genesis so that may explain it. I wondered why the new tiagra was different. I have older tiagra 10 speed levers (washing line :lol: ) on my turbo trainer bike with a pretty knackered old rear mech and they actually do work well and feel much nicer on your hands than the 5700.
And 9 speed on the old MTB. The 9 speed is terrible. I even took it to my LBS and after an hour of trying/failing he took it home for a week and fair play to him he did get it working properly.......until about 2 rides later when it reverted back to normal (always 1 jumping gear).
Yes, I have a few bikes :lol:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

9s MTB stuff is normally OK, but bad cable routing (esp on full suspension bikes) and/or bad cable housing can easily spoil that. I've been running 9s for about twenty years now on MTBs and it has mostly been pretty good. They didn't think they'd get away with the same shift ratio in 10s though, so they changed it for 10s MTB; much longer cable pull, much fewer cable issues.

However the 9s cables are not reliable in mucky conditions unless extra (extra on most bikes vs the standard setup) seals are used. In particular the cable run from the seatstay into the RD fills up with crud too quickly; the best solution I have found is to use a ferrule with a long nose, with a rubber boot over that. Once every few rides the boot should be lifted and the space between cleaned. Once every half a dozen rides/cleans it is best if this cable housing is checked/cleaned/relubed e.g. using GT85. Slotted cable guides make this job pretty painless.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
wheel71

Post by wheel71 »

An update on this old thread.
After buying a new centaur 11 rear mech after 3 months it got so much play in the knuckle again that it wouldn't shift correctly so it's gone back under warranty. If you wobbled the bottom of the cage there was at least 15mm of loose movement side to side. I hope I get an explanation when it's sorted.
Has anyone else had problems with these mechs? I can't believe I'm the only one.
I've now bought new shimano 105 gears and levers that work perfectly. The lever shape is still not to my liking but I do some long rides and reliability is most important.