Visitors

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Visitors

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
In-laws have got a bird box and a camera.
Dismayed to see a woodpecker getting to the chicks.
And large hole not repaired yet, but one of the daughters has brought what I can only assume is a plate with holes in it, she couldn't get the ladder out of the basement so she couldn't put it up.
they have a younger son and a son-in-law, but none of them seem available, son-in-law is a caretaker at a local school.
I make my own plates with correct hole size But I make my own boxes too.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

mercalia wrote:
100%JR wrote:
mercalia wrote:

We have some pigeon size all green birds. Any idea what they are - look like parrots. Noisy so and sos. And i think a kestrel. Tons of tits 3 floors up

Parakeets are quite common in the SE.

well a flock of 13 or so of them decided to visit the tree across the road today - all that flashing green colour impressive. really very noisey though

They were added to the “general license” in 2009 so can be legally culled.
On the other hand they’re thought to be the reason for increased Bird of Prey numbers in London.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like the squirrels here getting very picky at what they are offered, turning up their noses at some Sunflower seeds I am offering them. I suppose wait until winter bites and they get hungry?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Our resident Hog is only taking dried meal worms, I think he has now started to hibernate.
Saw a robin chirping away in the bush today.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

A couple of Wood pigeons playing at "birds & bees" in the trees behind us yesterday.
Isn't that a bit early for next year ? :?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

cycleruk wrote:A couple of Wood pigeons playing at "birds & bees" in the trees behind us yesterday.
Isn't that a bit early for next year ? :?

I found a discarded pigeon egg shell last week - presumably they're still at it.
Couple of weeks ago I thought it was safe to top some tall hedges at the side of my house only to discover a pigeon nest with a youngster still in it.

Reckon that's at least the 3rd round this year.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I am glad I dont live in Thailand, though this thread would be more lively :lol:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-50067105/thailand-giant-4m-long-king-cobra-caught-in-sewer

What astonishes me is how they are handling the brute. I am surprised it didnt go for them
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The squirrel that visits me for a nosh isnt very bright I think, goodness knows how it has managed to survive not being eaten by a fox or a cat. I give it some sun flower seeds, it goes away and buries them and lo hehold they are starting to sprout all over & I can see where it buried them :roll:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I've had squirrels do the same with peanuts - except they just rot away in the ground.
They're hoarders, it's built into their DNA. Not sure bright comes into it.

Cutting down the laurel at the back of my garden and I found yet ANOTHER bleedin' pigeon. Its nest had already fallen down but it was nestling in the leaves, far too young to fly. It's parents are feeding it although I don't give much for its chances this late in the year.

It's that time when the oak trees are in full acorn mode near me.
How do they know to do that? Every oak tree for miles have decided that this year is the year they have a bumper harvest, my lawn has turned into some sort of acorn carpet.
(Apparently they do this to prevent squirrel numbers becoming so large they eat all the acorns. So a number of years with minimal acorns to keep squirrel numbers low then a bumper year with far too many acorns for the squirrels to eat. Squirrels bury what they can but there's far too much to dig up and eat and so the tree gets to have babies).
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have loads of sparrows in the front garden enjoying the seeds in the feeder. I decided to give them a treat by making some suet, raisin and seed mix but so far they haven't touched it. Any ideas?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

peetee wrote:I decided to give them a treat by making some suet, raisin and seed mix but so far they haven't touched it. Any ideas?

Your "treat" is only a treat in name?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
peetee wrote:I decided to give them a treat by making some suet, raisin and seed mix but so far they haven't touched it. Any ideas?

I had some plums gave one to the squirrel. it took a few bites and threw it away :lol: on the other hand it will eat mince pies. :roll: They are supposed to like carrots - not my one.
peetee

Post by peetee »

kwackers wrote:

Well I certainly won't be eating it!
I thought the temptation of a bit of (insulating) fat would be strong at this time of year. Perhaps it's not cold enough here just yet.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

peetee wrote:Well I certainly won't be eating it!
I thought the temptation of a bit of (insulating) fat would be strong at this time of year. Perhaps it's not cold enough here just yet.

Do sparrows eat suet? Don't see many on my feeder, mostly they scavenge underneath.

"Fatballs" seem to be favoured by tits, starlings and corvids. Not sure about finches - can't remember if I've seen them eat any.
Robins should like them too but they also seem to prefer to scavenge on the floor underneath.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Ah, thanks for that info. I didn't put the suet feeder up purely for the sparrows - any birds are welcome - but the feeder is perhaps a bit too close to the house for most other species. There is another suet filled feeder at the top of the back garden, I will have to pay more attention to that and see if and what are feeding on that.