Another mapping app request

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
velorog

Another mapping app request

Post by velorog »

When riding in the UK I use Memory Map to record my track. I just set my phone to logging and put it in my bag where it stays for the day. At the end of a day's ride the battery is still at over 50% charge. Last month when riding in the Alps I had downloaded OsmAnd. The battery did not even last a full day. The other problem with OsmAnd is that the maps have to be stored on internal storage - most of which is used by my OS maps - so I could not download all the maps I needed.
So, I am looking for a simple Android mapping app - I don't need any bloatware - that will store off-line maps on the SD card and is OSM based (or OpenFietsMap) and has a range of settings so that it will not drain the battery after a few hours.
Recommendations please.
ChrisF

Re: Another mapping app request

Post by ChrisF »

I have been using Locus Maps for several years - I also found OsmAnd to use too much battery (not as bad as RideWithGPS though). But I'm unsure, from your post, what you're really looking for. If your phone stays in your bag all day then you're not using the maps while riding, so why do you need a mapping app? If you are using your phone for navigation, then the battery life will obviously depend on how many times you need to refer to the map (screen takes more power than GPS). That will be much more often in unfamiliar territory .
Chris F, Cornwall
Bez

Post by Bez »

I’ve not used Android for a few years now but I used to sometimes use My Trails by Frogsparks. It has a bunch of options which let you reduce the battery usage. Back in 2012 I used it on a Sony Xperia Active for navigating and recording a 36-hour ride, during which I had to recharge it once from an external battery.
velorog

Post by velorog »

I do not need turn by turn navigation. In the UK I am sufficiently familiar with the roads to be able to memorize the route and on the continent I usually follow signposted cycle routes which may require occasional reference to the map. Being able to store the maps on an SD card is more important than battery life. I can always supplement the phone with a power pack, but I am hoping that once I find a suitable app I can set the power settings appropriate to my needs.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

velorog wrote:I do not need turn by turn navigation. In the UK I am sufficiently familiar with the roads to be able to memorize the route .

You must have a brain - or memory capacity - the size of a planet.
Sweep
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

velorog wrote:I do not need turn by turn navigation. In the UK I am sufficiently familiar with the roads to be able to memorize the route and on the continent I usually follow signposted cycle routes which may require occasional reference to the map. Being able to store the maps on an SD card is more important than battery life. I can always supplement the phone with a power pack, but I am hoping that once I find a suitable app I can set the power settings appropriate to my needs.

I find that following signposted routes in Europe requires fairly frequent looking at the map, because missing, hidden or confusing signs abound! Anyway, Locus Maps does allow you to use an SD card for storage
Chris F, Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:
velorog wrote:I do not need turn by turn navigation. In the UK I am sufficiently familiar with the roads to be able to memorize the route .

Or just a memory that remembers shapes (such as junction layouts) easily. My memory is pretty awful but it still does this.

velorog wrote:Last month when riding in the Alps I had downloaded OsmAnd. The battery did not even last a full day. The other problem with OsmAnd is that the maps have to be stored on internal storage - most of which is used by my OS maps - so I could not download all the maps I needed.
So, I am looking for a simple Android mapping app - I don't need any bloatware - that will store off-line maps on the SD card and is OSM based (or OpenFietsMap) and has a range of settings so that it will not drain the battery after a few hours.
Recommendations please.

I recommend OSMAnd! You can store the maps on the SD card (Settings: General: Data Storage Folder) and you can save battery by turning down how frequently it records track points (Plugins: Trip Recording: Bicycle: and then various logging interval settings) and changing other settings.

Personally, I use AAT these days after a few disagreements with OSMAnd while trying to navigate Cornwall, but I am not sure as many people would like it because it is very cycling/running orientated, it has almost no navigation (only a snail trail - no prompts), it seems less configurable and the map user interface tries to cram as much into a small space as OSMAnd does... although I guess you can ignore more of the interface for simple use than you can with OSMAnd.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bez

Post by Bez »

mjr wrote:
Sweep wrote:
velorog wrote:In the UK I am sufficiently familiar with the roads to be able to memorize the route .

Or just a memory that remembers shapes (such as junction layouts) easily.

Or just ride short routes ;)
velorog

Post by velorog »

I seem to have an uncanny ability to memorize routes and roads. I just need a few minutes studying the map at the start of a ride and usually can remember most of the route. It may be down to the ability to remember shapes whereas I have a terrible memory for faces. I can meet someone and then fail to recognize them the next day, whereas I have a photographic memory for junctions. Many years back when car rallies were navigational tests I was able to win a couple of local championships as a navigator.

Back to the app. I have seen comments that the latest versions of OsmAnd do not allow maps on an SD card. But thanks for your comments mjr which I will follow up. ChrisF and Baz, I will download your recommendations and give them a try.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

velorog wrote:
Back to the app. I have seen comments that the latest versions of OsmAnd do not allow maps on an SD card. .

Not true. My osmand maps are on a card. You do need a quality fast card though.
Sweep
sjs

Post by sjs »

I use Maverick because of its willingness to download OS map tiles. But it will only put them on and use them from internal storage. So I move them to the SD card and use them with Locus Maps, which is a much better app for navigation.