** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Mick F wrote:Hang on a sec!
No negotiations from me

You have no choice.

You need a relationship with them, and that means negotiations.
No it doesn't.
Keep everything as it is, but not run by the EU.
Co-operation. You don't need the EU for that.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

horizon wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Give me evidence that the UK will be better off economically,environmentally or socially outside the EU and I'll be willing to listen to a Brexit argument.

It isn't a case of the UK being better off. It's a case of a big chunk of the population feeling more secure in their identity as British.

Well, I have repeated my reasons again and again and they just don't listen and ask for 'evidence' proof etc and seem to think Brexit is all about economics which it isn't. So, I feel I am just wasting my time repeating myself. Looking forward to Brexit and an end to all the wailing, but, am not expecting it to change. :? Thank goodness for the good sense of the more objective members of our population.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

No negotiations from me, other than "we should never have joined in the first place".

The issue I have, is that we voted to leave. We didn't vote for arguments or hardship or upset ........... well, I didn't anyway. Can't comment on why other folk voted leave.

I have no issues with the EU in general, but it's the U bit of it that I object to and always have done. Co-operation, trade, free movement of people etc is fine by me. In Europe, but not ruled by Europe is a mantra I can agree with.

It's a small step from European Union to Union of Europe.
Get out whilst we still can. It's going to be difficult I know, but out we should go.

We never have been ruled by Europe and never will be unless we agree to be and that won't happen.
But you're willing to see the country go down the tubes because the think there's even the slightest chance we could possibly agree to something that we know we won't!
INCREDIBLE!!
I hate to remind you of this but you did say on this thread of foreigners "there's too many of them here"
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:
horizon wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Give me evidence that the UK will be better off economically,environmentally or socially outside the EU and I'll be willing to listen to a Brexit argument.

It isn't a case of the UK being better off. It's a case of a big chunk of the population feeling more secure in their identity as British.

Well, I have repeated my reasons again and again and they just don't listen and ask for 'evidence' proof etc and seem to think Brexit is all about economics which it isn't. So, I feel I am just wasting my time repeating myself. Looking forward to Brexit and an end to all the wailing, but, am not expecting it to change. :? Thank goodness for the good sense of the more objective members of our population.

Al

Please state clearly why we should leave the EU,you say you've stated it clearly but I haven't seen it on this thread or anywhere else on the forum maybe I missed it.
So please repeat it I'd be very interested to read it and you'll have my apologies if it stands up to scrutiny.
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
No negotiations from me

You have no choice.

You need a relationship with them, and that means negotiations.
No it doesn't.
Keep everything as it is, but not run by the EU.
Co-operation. You don't need the EU for that.

Keep everything as is is?? Free movement, ECJ juristiction, customs union all unchanged? I don't think you mean that?

Cooperation does not just emerge fully formed from the aether. It is negotiated.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote:
Mick F wrote:The issue I have, is that we voted to leave.
I do wish people wouldn't keep repeating that canard. What happened was, about 51% of those who actually went out to vote in 2016, voted at that time for the Leave option.

Proves nothing.
Of course it doesn't.
Who said it does?

All you can do with any vote, is take a snap-shot.
It would never be the whole picture.

Perhaps you have an issue with First Past the Post?

R2.
We are ruled by the EU.
They make laws and regulations that we must abide by.

There are two many foreigners here. No objection to them personally.
There's too many people in UK be them home-grown or incomers.
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:We are ruled by the EU.

In which case we're also ruled by NATO.

And by the Irish through the GFA.

And by the World Trade organisation.

etc etc etc.

Any international treaty involves following the rules set out in that treaty.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Can we import Donald Tusk to be interim PM? At least he's exposed Piffle's, piffle and realises this is serious! To quote:

What’s at stake is not winning some stupid blame game. At stake is the future of Europe and the UK as well as the security and interests of our people. You don’t want a deal, you don’t want an extension, you don’t want to revoke, quo vadis?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:R2.
We are ruled by the EU.

Name me one rule of law the EU has made without the UK's consent and agreement to and which it didn't vote for in the EU parliament

There are two many foreigners here. No objection to them personally.

But the immigration figures show a 50/50 split between EU and the rest of the world migrants.
The half from the rest of the world could be stopped instantly if the UK government wanted it.
The The EU half come hear to work because there's work here for them to do,work that UK citizens either can't or wont do,and if they can't support themselves here they must return home.
Your argument has no foundation when the country needs people to work here!

There's too many people in UK be them home-grown or incomers.

I'll start with myself and Mrs R2,we have three children who have given birth to 9 children,if you're going to put the world right start with yourself!

EDITED for typos and clarity
Last edited by reohn2 on 8 Oct 2019, 3:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You might as well say that we are ruled by the British Standards agency because that is closer to the role the EU fulfill with regard to British law.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stradageek wrote:Can we import Donald Tusk to be interim PM? At least he's exposed Piffle's, piffle and realises this is serious! To quote:

What’s at stake is not winning some stupid blame game. At stake is the future of Europe and the UK as well as the security and interests of our people. You don’t want a deal, you don’t want an extension, you don’t want to revoke, quo vadis?

BoJo is leading this country to disaster
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Vorpal wrote:You might as well say that we are ruled by the British Standards agency because that is closer to the role the EU fulfill with regard to British law.

Brexiters don't see that.

What's funny is British Standards will track EU standards anyway because it makes no sense not too and the chances are hard brexit or not at some point we'll sign a deal and we'll be beholden to those standards anyway.

It's a tragedy in the classical sense.
RickH

Post by RickH »

horizon wrote:As the Irishman* said to the person asking directions: "Well, I wouldn't start from here if I were you!".

* Why does it always have to be an Irishman?

When I first heard it, it was a Liverpudlian!
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Fear, uncertainty and emotional attachment could equally apply to Remainers too. As for the other slurs and unwarranted insults its just par for the course in a stream of bile and hate that those who voted leave have had to put up with. Personally its like water off a ducks back. I am quite clear and confident that we are leaving which suits me fine, with or without a deal.

Al :lol:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote:Fear, uncertainty and emotional attachment could equally apply to Remainers too. As for the other slurs and unwarranted insults its just par for the course in a stream of bile and hate that those who voted leave have had to put up with. Personally its like water off a ducks back. I am quite clear and confident that we are leaving which suits me fine, with or without a deal.

Al :lol:

I believe this is known as "projection".