Found - Twenty Quid

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Found - Twenty Quid

Post by PDQ Mobile »

This seems topical.
Dave Allen.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sA-iF45pOlI
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

While skiing at St Moritz I found a heavy gold bracelet and I handed in to the lift attendant at the bottom of the hill. Rather wish I hadn't now!
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Back in the mid-70's I can remember finding a £1 note and I felt like a millionaire. Probably spent it on sweets and whatever Airfix model kit I was lusting after - probably from 'Series 5' as the little 'uns were only 19p at about this time. Happy Days.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I lost my Garmin Edge Touring just south of Lancaster on our 2018 LEJOG.
It was found by mountaineering club members doing their weekly cycle fitness training.
Our Paulatic found a post on the interweb and i was reunited with it on my return home ...

Happy days ... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

AND ....

Last day of our holiday in Majorca, dived into the pool and saw a cigarette pack on the bottom.
Surfaced, shouted to Julie .."Some dirty git has thrown a pack of cigs into the pool" ..
I dived down grabbed the pack and returned to the surface waving the pack at Julie...

"I think you'll find thats your wallet ..."

oops ... in my back pocket when i dived in .... :lol:
Be more Mike.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Nothing on the road, but a few pounds a year from £1 coins stuck in the lockers at the gym.

Used to hand them in, but routinely found myself being questioned as a "guilty party" so now simply retain them. Made a £1 last week :)
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Years ago before coming back to Wales, to live and bask forever in baradws (Snowdonia), whilst staying at what was then a ‘funky’ pre refurb Bryn Tyrch Inn in Capel Curig for a couple of nights midweek.

I’d been out walking with a new exciting beautiful girlfriend up Moel Siabod on a really grand late autumn day and returned to the bar for bevy before a shower and supper - and spotted a £20 note on the floor under a table. No one else was in the bar and the only car in the car park was a very new Range Rover.

I picked the note up, instinctively pocketing it, then considered my options over a pint whilst looking back up at previously mentioned mountain.

Went to our room and cleansed, appearing again in the bar for more dwinks wearing typical 'Cotswold Outdoor' uniform après hill/leisure gear and what turned out to be a delicious (so non Brakes Bros/Warrington factory estate-esque pre made usual pub fare) supper.

Another couple were also partaking of an early meal, the man was dressed in full tweedy country style, red socks with little flappy bits like tiny wings below his knees, plus fours, brogue shoes, waistcoat and checked shirt and a rather clashing coloured Paisley cravat! His companion, a female in matching vibe attire, 3/4 length full shaped heavy skirt, woolly tights, almost identical shoes, cream silk blouse, petit cashmere cardi only two buttons done up and fine shiny hair all built tall into a knotted sculpture that must have taken hours?

We over heard them saying to the European accented waitress/bar tenderess "how wonderful a day they'd had dwiving around Snowdonia and what a view from those tables over there", pointing to where we had our first thirst quenchers and the discovery of the £20 note.

As you do? we put two and two together, aka made assumptions and worse still 'judgements', so decided to keep the ‘apple core’ in me pocket and stay shtum a while longer.

Next day after breakfasting heartedly with only the other ^ couple in the room, they drove off in the Range Rover and we were off up Glyder Fawr via Devil’s Kitchen and returning via Y Garn.

But I'd had a sleepless night wondering, perhaps the £20 was the barmaid's? Perhaps it was a previous unknown's? I didn’t need it.

Any road up, drove the short journey along the A5 heading west to Ogwen Cottage for our day out on another hill again. In those days there was a tiny 'cabin' which sold hot drinks and pies and maps etc. It had a 'charity box/tub' for the local Ogwen Mountain Rescue Team, so I decided to relieve myself of any guilt and folded the note as tightly as possible to insert into the container's slot. Having ordered a polystyrene cup of Nescafe from the cabin's grumpy guts, he returned from the kettle and sink, to find me struggling to ram the said note in the charity box. He assumed I was trying rob it! That's what his face said, before I explained the whole story to him.

Luckily he calmed down and came all over himself with a glow of kindness - he said "it’s rather full so let me hold the pot and you concentrate on getting the money in there with your two hands". That worked a treat and he was all smiles and offered us a piece of bara brith each to "take up the hill" for free!

Several years later, before his cabin and the whole Ogwen Cottage got a make over, I returned for another day on the hill and he recognised me and remembered. I got another free piece of overly sweet bara brith to “take up on the hill” :)
Last edited by deliquium on 8 Oct 2019, 7:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

gbnz wrote:Nothing on the road, but a few pounds a year from £1 coins stuck in the lockers at the gym.

Used to hand them in, but routinely found myself being questioned as a "guilty party" so now simply retain them. Made a £1 last week :)

I take the girls swimming twice a week ... so far £7 ahead on the coins in the locker ... which is somewhat offset by their combined £50 / month swimming lessons ... :)
Be more Mike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Any time one finds cash one should search around for more, a lost note or coin is often not alone :wink:
I pick up small coins too of course
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

deliquium wrote:Years ago before coming back to Wales, to live and bask forever in baradws (Snowdonia), whilst staying at what was then a ‘funky’ pre refurb Bryn Tyrch Inn in Capel Curig for a couple of nights midweek.

I’d been out walking with a new exciting beautiful girlfriend up Moel Siabod on a really grand late autumn day and returned to the bar for bevy before a shower and supper - and spotted a £20 note on the floor under a table. No one else was in the bar and the only car in the car park was a very new Range Rover.

I picked the note up, instinctively pocketing it, then considered my options over a pint whilst looking back up at previously mentioned mountain.

Went to our room and cleansed, appearing again in the bar for more dwinks wearing typical 'Cotswold Outdoor' uniform après hill/leisure gear and what turned out to be a delicious (so non Brakes Bros/Warrington factory estate-esque pre made usual pub fare) supper.

Another couple were also partaking of an early meal, the man was dressed in full tweedy country style, red socks with little flappy bits like tiny wings below his knees, plus fours, brogue shoes, waistcoat and checked shirt and a rather clashing coloured Paisley cravat! His companion, a female in matching vibe attire, 3/4 length full shaped heavy skirt, woolly tights, almost identical shoes, cream silk blouse, petit cashmere cardi only two buttons done up and fine shiny hair all built tall into a knotted sculpture that must have taken hours?

We over heard them saying to the European accented waitress/bar tenderess "how wonderful a day they'd had dwiving around Snowdonia and what a view from those tables over there", pointing to where we had our first thirst quenchers and the discovery of the £20 note.

As you do? we put two and two together, aka made assumptions and worse still 'judgements', so decided to keep the ‘apple core’ in me pocket and stay shtum a while longer.

Next day after breakfasting heartedly with only the other ^ couple in the room, they drove off in the Range Rover and we were off up Glyder Fawr via Devil’s Kitchen and returning via Y Garn.

But I'd had a sleepless night wondering, perhaps the £20 was the barmaid's? Perhaps it was a previous unknown's? I didn’t need it.

Any road up, drove the short journey along the A5 heading west to Ogwen Cottage for our day out on another hill again. In those days there was a tiny 'cabin' which sold hot drinks and pies and maps etc. It had a 'charity box/tub' for the local Ogwen Mountain Rescue Team, so I decided to relieve myself of any guilt and folded the note as tightly as possible to insert into the container's slot. Having ordered a polystyrene cup of Nescafe from the cabin's grumpy guts, he returned from the kettle and sink, to find me struggling to ram the said note in the charity box. He assumed I was trying rob it! That's what his face said, before I explained the whole story to him.

Luckily he calmed down and came all over himself with a glow of kindness - he said "it’s rather full so let me hold the pot and you concentrate on getting the money in there with your two hands". That worked a treat and he was all smiles and offered us a piece of bara brith each to "take up the hill" for free!

Several years later, before his cabin and the whole Ogwen Cottage got a make over, I returned for another day on the hill and he recognised me and remembered. I got another free piece of overly sweet bara brith to “take up on the hill” :)

Wonderful story Paul.
I fully understand you recalling what the glamorous young lady was wearing at the time, but am a bit concerned in you recalling the chap's attire too. :wink:
Anyway, a fine decision made by your good self and it's remarkable how such thoughtfulness resulted in a memorable exchange with the proprietor of the caff, who later gave you your due reward. :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
That's a looooonnngg story :)
Bought a safe off a workmate, rusty so cleaned it up and "£$$%^ me if there wasn't a tenner stuck in the rusty bottom :)
Wish I hadn't told him what I found, the safe would of been a real bargain.
Last coin I found I stuck in some spare mastic on the forks on my skip trainer 20p.
If I find coins at counters etc then I normally place on the counter.
In the street etc no chance I am charitable :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

So, out of interest. How much money would people say ‘finders keepers’ to before they handed it in to the police?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Years ago when I was 19 I had a weekend job at a petrol station and earned approximately £15 a week. I saved up so a mate and me could cycle to Essex to stay with rellies. beforehand I collected two wage packets from work, cycled 7 miles home and found I had lost both wage packets. I was gutted and rode the same route 4 times trying to find them without success.
The holiday went ahead and, incredibly while riding past another petrol station in Epping Forest I found a wallet in the road with foreign and British currency inside but no ID. The £ it contained was almost exactly the same that I had lost.
I don't remember handing it in to the plod. 8)
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

1973 ...
2 huge car bombs in the centre of Bangor ... the CO-OP wiped out ... 3 story shop to rubble in seconds ... no casualties ....
The clean up was by a company called MISCO .. the first skip company in Ulster.
The owners son, in my class, commented on the amount of burnt out tills they where dumping ..............
That next day me, David M., and Steven descended on the dump at the Lead Mines between Bangor and Newtownards.. many tills where found, all paper monies burnt ... but such a harvest of coins was had ..... my Mum cried when i walked into the house and handed over the bag of coins to her .. over £60 .. months of wages for a school dinner lady in the early 70's.
At 14 I was the provider for my family ... whether at the Crawfordsburn Inn, Friday and Saturday evenings, or raking about in the landfill site ... it was my job .....
Be more Mike.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Ellieb wrote:So, out of interest. How much money would people say ‘finders keepers’ to before they handed it in to the police?

I'd go on a guess as to whether the loser would go to the police to check whether it had been handed in. Loose notes would be less likely to be handed in than the same amount in a purse. The availability of a police station would factor in too - there aren't as many as there used to be.

The most I ever found was 450 French francs (a bit over £40), as loose notes over spread an area of about 30 m (following Cyril Haearn's advice). It came in handy - I'd just reached the stage of wondering whether my money would last to the end of the holiday, or whether I'd have to divert to find a cash machine.