Found - Twenty Quid

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
arnsider

Re: Found - Twenty Quid

Post by arnsider »

Way back in 1967, I was on a block release at Liverpool college of Art and I took up with LU Caving club who kindly introduced me to caving in the Dales.
Back then, the valley entrance to Kingsdale master cave had not been pushed, so down Simpsons and back up Swinsto was popular.
I remember wallowing in the entrance canal in Simpsons and finding a twenty foot electron ladder.
We had an eleven strong party so it was no bother to cart this ladder to the bottom and back out.
These days, people even solo the exchange on rope!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ellieb wrote:So, out of interest. How much money would people say ‘finders keepers’ to before they handed it in to the police?
It all depends on where and what.

A loose wet filthy note found on the road nowhere near any houses or anything, it's finders keepers. I suppose as Kwackers said, give it to charity. We do loads for charities and never claim expenses, so the odd £20 is nice.

We found a handbag locally and opened it up and noticed that we knew the lady. No money in it, but cards and driving licence etc. Straight round and handed it in.

Found a wallet once on my way cycling to work. ID in there and address, so we posted it off with a covering letter to say where and when.
Unless there's any ID in it, all you can do is hand it to the police ................... nearest cop shop to us is 20miles from here though.
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Ellieb wrote:So, out of interest. How much money would people say ‘finders keepers’ to before they handed it in to the police?

I would say it's the other way round.
How little?

I've found a wallet with cards and £50 - phoned up the guy, he collected and gave me a fiver (which I'll be honest I thought was a bit tight but the real reward is in returning it).
Handbag next to a car in the station car park, can't remember what was in it. Gave my contact number to the station (they wanted the bag but I've no idea how trustworthy they are whereas I know how trustworthy I am). Woman came round and collected.

Obvs the £20 I mentioned earlier.

Change I pick up and put in my bottle.

Hypothetical scenarios:
If its just a note blowing around I'd probably do what I did and give it to charity. In an envelope I might hand it into the police, significant amount I'd definitely hand it in.
If I had any information I'd ring up, I might also post on the local group pages - minimal information so the genuine owner could be identified.

But say £100k in used notes?
I'd like to say I would but £100k is a lot of money and I don't know if my principles would survive it. In fact I'm 95% certain that if I saw it fall out of the back of a Securicor van it'd be going under my bed. :lol:
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

kwackers wrote:I've found a wallet with cards and £50 - phoned up the guy, he collected and gave me a fiver (which I'll be honest I thought was a bit tight but the real reward is in returning it).

So what reward would have made you happier in this case?

A while ago I left a Billingham bag in a fast-food restaurant in Hungary with 400 euros of cash alongside essentially all of my possessions of any monetary value. Story here. The young restaurant manager rummaged around the contents including my wallet, found my email address, and reunited me with the bag a few hours later. I gave her a reward. How much would have been appropriate? I’ll tell you later how much I gave. If it matters (it might not), I live frugally and have a modest and uncertain income.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Any time one finds cash one should search around for more, a lost note or coin is often not alone :wink:

Money has a herd instinct? :shock: Well that explains a lot.
:mrgreen:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Samuel D wrote:
kwackers wrote:I've found a wallet with cards and £50 - phoned up the guy, he collected and gave me a fiver (which I'll be honest I thought was a bit tight but the real reward is in returning it).

So what reward would have made you happier in this case?

I was happy, I just thought it slightly stingy.
Probably made worse because he went through his change and gave it me in coins...

Obviously I've no idea of his circumstance. If it'd been my wallet I'd probably share the £50 equally on the basis I'd lost it anyway - but I do appreciate for a lot of folk that would be far too much.
(Probably wouldn't split it if it was £500, I reckon £100 would cover it).

Lets say a tenner.

Worth pointing out this was possibly 30 years ago - I was less principled in those days and skinter... ;)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Pastychomper wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Any time one finds cash one should search around for more, a lost note or coin is often not alone :wink:

Money has a herd instinct? :shock: Well that explains a lot.
:mrgreen:

I once went to Blackpool with friends.
Parked on the car park and tried to feed the 'pay and display' machine which promptly ate my money.
So I banged it and some cash fell out - but not the coin I'd put in.
So I banged it some more and more cash fell out.
Several minutes of banging turned up enough cash for fish and chips for the four of us.

So probably not lost but definitely not alone.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What about finding a lottery ticket that you KNOW is a BIG winner because you follow the results.
Cash it in, or hand it over?

Say the Euro lottery in the news today. 170odd million squids.
What were the numbers? They never said on the news but they must be publicised somewhere.
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:What about finding a lottery ticket that you KNOW is a BIG winner because you follow the results.
Cash it in, or hand it over?

Say the Euro lottery in the news today. 170odd million squids.
What were the numbers? They never said on the news but they must be publicised somewhere.

I'd go all "My Name is Earl" and use it to right past wrongs. (If I could think of any).

What happens if you hand it in? If the rightful owner can't be found then presumably it becomes yours after 28 days.
If the legit owner was found and gave me a fiver I'd definitely consider that a bit mean though...

Is there anything in the lottery rules that says you wouldn't be able to claim? I'd think if the police handed it back then you'd have a legitimate claim unless they word it such that you have to be the person who bought it in the first place.
Perhaps you need to know the place it was purchased from?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Virtue is its own reward, besides I believe in doing good, I may get my reward later in another way

In Germany the law says one may claim a reward, starts at 5%, for a lost/found animal 3%, if I found Sailor I could claim 3% of his value :?
If I found a herd of 100 cows I could claim three cows
I believe one may decline the reward :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Even if you were the rightful owner, you may not remember where you bought it from.
Not ever bought any lottery ticket, but Mrs Mick F has done once or twice.
Do they not have a serial number on them that would identify where and when?

Find someone who can decode it, and split the money two ways. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:

I would say it's the other way round.
How little?

I've found a wallet with cards and £50 - phoned up the guy, he collected and gave me a fiver (which I'll be honest I thought was a bit tight but the real reward is in returning it).
Handbag next to a car in the station car park, can't remember what was in it. Gave my contact number to the station (they wanted the bag but I've no idea how trustworthy they are whereas I know how trustworthy I am). Woman came round and collected.

Obvs the £20 I mentioned earlier.

Change I pick up and put in my bottle.

Hypothetical scenarios:
If its just a note blowing around I'd probably do what I did and give it to charity. In an envelope I might hand it into the police, significant amount I'd definitely hand it in.
If I had any information I'd ring up, I might also post on the local group pages - minimal information so the genuine owner could be identified.

But say £100k in used notes?
I'd like to say I would but £100k is a lot of money and I don't know if my principles would survive it. In fact I'm 95% certain that if I saw it fall out of the back of a Securicor van it'd be going under my bed. :lol:

£100k could also be drug money. I think there was a film based on your premise, they came after him....buying a Porshe rather singled him out...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On honesty, I'd like to know statistics on proportion of wallets handed in with no cash in them?

seems like larger quantities bring out the not so honest side of us.

So you find 100 K in Used notes.
Decide to keep it, how would you launder it?
Without attracting attention from the authorities, brought on by that Porsche parked on your drive :mrgreen:

If I'd bothered to contact someone/hand in cash I don't think you be looking for a Reward, but you might wait to see if there is a finders fee first?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Even used notes might be marked, the serial numbers might have been noted
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Even used notes might be marked, the serial numbers might have been noted

Obviously buying any large item in cash is a no no also any item that needs delivering to your address.

Shopping sprees for mid priced goods definitely - make sure you scatter them about the country though and centre weight the average distance so the centre isn't on top of your house.

Basically take your time, bank your wages where possible and use the cash to live on instead.