Intentionally struck by vehicle - what recourse?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Oldjohnw

Re: Intentionally struck by vehicle - what recourse?

Post by Oldjohnw »

Darkman wrote:Do the plod actually do anything these days? :evil:

Yes. They arrest climate campaigners. And anti-WMD campaigners.

And, of course, all those almost 90,000 people in prison at any time were nicked. About 250k p.a.
John
Avspider

Post by Avspider »

Darkman wrote:Do the plod actually do anything these days? :evil:

Yes they do. I Was hit deliberately and the driver tried avoiding the police and his own insurance company, who have now taken him to court and got 6 points plus a fine. It was all on camera. Apparently leaving the scene to make a food delivery was more important.
When did start shouting at me as soon as he got out the car demanding to know if I was insured, my reply was yes. For all what he has done, his insurance premiums must be going through the roof.
Btwin 540 commuter
BMC Granfondo 02
Venge pro disc CLX64 :D
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

If you are genuinely targeted, and struck by a vehicle, it's a Criminal Assault .(or an attempt if no injury but the intent is there) but that's getting in the grey area between an Assault and a Road Traffic Collision.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

I have an ex colleague who has been knocked off twice (once deliberately) by bad drivers. His advice is: if you think you're going down, and it's a bad driver at fault, stay down. Don't get up, under any circumstances. Make an attempt at being in pain. Plead with any witnesses to phone 999. Whatever happens (unless you are in danger of further collisions), don't move. Stay put.

I realise this is rather extreme behaviour, but from my long experience the dice are always heavily skewed in favour of the bad driver. I once heard a senior policeman phone a victim at home and ask them not to press charges against the driver because 'she was a nice woman, from a nice area'.

This is what you're up against when bike /car collisions occur,
playing the good guy card will get you nowhere.