Tenting/Camping LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
pne2163

Re: Tenting/Camping LEJOG

Post by pne2163 »

Hi Freelander
I am planning to do LEJOG in June 2020, first time for me, doing it solo, i think camping is the way. I have a route planned, no specific mileage planned per day, i will see how it goes each day, hoping to do it in 10 days, cant decide on tent or bivvy bag & basher (save on weight). My plan is not to have a plan that can limit me, i am sure at the end of each day i can find a farm or wood that i can bed down in. Best of luck.
Freelander

Post by Freelander »

Thanks! Good to know there are lots of options. Once I start route planning, I’ll start looking at options.
Freelander

Post by Freelander »

Further for the OP: Archies camping ...

Thank you. Very useful!
Freelander

Post by Freelander »

Is the UK officially metric or Standard/Imperial. I know here we use both but road signs are in metric. What is it in the UK? Thank you.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

The important things, draught beer and cider and miles are Imperial. Vehicle fuel is litres. Milk can be either. Canned and bottle booze is mostly metric as well. Food is mostly metric but sometime a metric version of an imperial measure. Cycle tyres are either depending on your bike. MTBers like inches, roadies metric unless its old and British.
8 pints to a gallon which is about an evenings drinking :D .
Many of us use a mixture. Eg a mm is handy, so is a cm but then its a long way to a metre so a foot works nicely.
Newby cyclists who read all the fancy mags and websites, wishing they were a racer, talk in K but old timers with Carradice saddle bags use miles unless they are audaxers who use k. (other categories and stereotypes are available)
OS maps are in K and M
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Freelander wrote:Is the UK officially metric or Standard/Imperial. I know here we use both but road signs are in metric. What is it in the UK? Thank you.

Road signs in the UK are in miles and generally speed is in miles per hour.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Note that UK pints are 20 oz, unlike 16 oz US pints.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Much better that way. I remember a visit to Maine in the early 90's when English pubs were trendy over there. You could buy beer by the pint in handled glasses. Bar staff were not happy when I pointed out that a fifth of the pint was missing. All very amicable though.
Freelander

Post by Freelander »

8 pints to a gallon which is about an evenings drinking :D .

Thanks.sounds a lot like here except for the bigger pint.I think I need to train more for the drinking than the cycling! Cheers, Daryl
F70100

Post by F70100 »

mattsccm wrote:Much better that way. I remember a visit to Maine in the early 90's when English pubs were trendy over there. You could buy beer by the pint in handled glasses. Bar staff were not happy when I pointed out that a fifth of the pint was missing. All very amicable though.

I guess that saying a fifth is missing is better than saying you need a quarter more... :wink:
Freelander

Post by Freelander »

Thanks to everyone for all their help and suggestions to date. Just getting back to the planning again. I now know it will be either the last three weeks in July or the first three weeks in August that I will be in the UK. I know that summer vacation will be in full swing. I am wondering if there is any reason one time would be better than the other. I am thinking about weather primarily but also wondering if access to attractions, traffic or costs would vary during these two times. Also is there any major holidays, celebrations, etc. That I might want to consider when making my decision. Thank you, Daryl
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Out of those two options I’d plump for the 1st 3 in August.
July is often wet IME with heavy downpours. Both periods are during school holidays so no difference there.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
DNC123

Post by DNC123 »

How are you thinking of getting back from the far north of Scotland? It is somewhat remote up there. Public transport can be a bit hit and miss. Trains will do their best to be unhelpful. You are a long way from any major connurbation.

Last Monday in August is last Bank Holiday of the year and the world and his friend take their little princes and princesses on a grocklefest. Traffic can be heavy, and cyclists are sometimes seen as an nuisance, especially bikes full of panniers etc.

Give some thought to your return.
Freelander

Post by Freelander »

Paulatic wrote:Out of those two options I’d plump for the 1st 3 in August.
July is often wet IME with heavy downpours. Both periods are during school holidays so no difference there.

Thank you. Very helpful. Now I can start looking at flights. Is August generally warmer (and drier) or just drier? Just so I can start thinking about was type of clothing to bring.
Last edited by Freelander on 3 Dec 2019, 5:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freelander

Post by Freelander »

“Deleted”
Last edited by Freelander on 3 Dec 2019, 5:58pm, edited 1 time in total.