LEJOG by Cicerone Route (Entire) 2019 Reflections & Advice

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
awinf

LEJOG by Cicerone Route (Entire) 2019 Reflections & Advice

Post by awinf »

My wife & I completed an self supported trip in June 2019 using the Cicerone route exclusively but supported by advice & comments on this fantastic forum, thank you everyone.
I hope I can provide some 'pay back' to the forum by sharing my own thoughts & advice via my blog & diary here: https://through-the-lens.exposure.co/lands-end-to-john-ogroats-by-bike?source=share-through-the-lens
Happy to answer any questions anyone has, an absolutely fantastic trip, wouldn't change it for the world.
Adam
Chat Noir

Re: LEJOG by Cicerone Route (Entire) 2019 Reflections & Advice

Post by Chat Noir »

That really is an excellent read and some great photos.

Thank you.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Plus One from me! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
loafer

Post by loafer »

Good write up and Great photo's Thoroughly enjoyed ...I felt I was riding along with you both :D
robgul

Post by robgul »

awinf wrote:My wife & I completed an self supported trip in June 2019 using the Cicerone route exclusively but supported by advice & comments on this fantastic forum, thank you everyone.
I hope I can provide some 'pay back' to the forum by sharing my own thoughts & advice via my blog & diary here: https://through-the-lens.exposure.co/lands-end-to-john-ogroats-by-bike?source=share-through-the-lens
Happy to answer any questions anyone has, an absolutely fantastic trip, wouldn't change it for the world.
Adam

Would you like to add this to the Journals at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk ? If so drop me an email from the Contact page on the website and I'll be in touch to set it up.

Rob
cycle-endtoend.org.uk webmastster
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
awinf

Post by awinf »

Thank you, I hope the advice will be of use to others.
Robgul, I've sent a message via the website's contact form, thanks.
Adam
PH

Post by PH »

I enjoyed that, well written and a good set of photos.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Nice report.

Supprised about the tire my wiggle 25mm race tyres is still going strong.

Perhaps the Extra weight of panniers increased the wear of the rear tire.

Probably about the best time scale 14 days fast enough to do it in a reasonable time but slow enough to see stuff.

Cheers James
awinf

Post by awinf »

Jamesh wrote:Nice report.

Supprised about the tire my wiggle 25mm race tyres is still going strong.

Perhaps the Extra weight of panniers increased the wear of the rear tire.

Probably about the best time scale 14 days fast enough to do it in a reasonable time but slow enough to see stuff.

Cheers James

James - indeed, I'm sure it was the load from the panniers that affected it, especially as the added load sat just behind the axle, that and atrocious road surfaces along Lock Lomond! All three other tyres were absolutely fine so I was surprised and hope others will know to take this into account.

14 days allowed us to focus on the riding without too much pressure but even then we had some full on days, mainly due to the weather.
Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it.

Adam
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

A good read, and nice to read about a different route to our Wimps route, used in 2018
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Great read and some wonderful images.

I always tour on 25c tyres - usually Conti Gatorskins - despite telling readers of the Cicerone guidebooks I've written to use 28c as a minimum and preferably something wider and more substantial. Sure it wears the rear tyre out fairly fast but it generally isn't a problem and earlier this year I rode the fire tracks on the Queen Elizabeth Forest stretch of NCN 7 north of Aberfoyle while doing LeJog without any problem despite the Sustrans warning sign at the entrance suggesting road cyclists might find it unsuitable.

They're the widest I can fit on my early version Enigma Etape with mudguards, but I ain't buying a new bike anytime soon.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

awinf wrote:My wife & I completed an self supported trip in June 2019 using the Cicerone route exclusively ... ...
Adam

I see you entered Ashton Court, but then presumably stayed on the lower level, and found the resulting trip up the A403 miserable. Although the A403 does now have a related cycle route, including broad shared pavements that are generally rather wider and better than many parts of the Portway cycle track, there are two much better, rather pleasant ways through North Bristol.

(a) Climb up through Ashton Court, cross the Clifton suspension bridge and follow minor suburban roads down into the Trym Valley, thence to Easter Compton, and the Severn bridge.

(b) Follow your low level route along the Portway cycle track only as far as the slip road to Sea Mills station, then join the Trym Valley route above.

See related recent thread, for other related options: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=132914
videoman

Post by videoman »

Great report and photos and a ride I would love to do before I get much older, thanks for sharing.
scarletnut

Post by scarletnut »

Great read - did this route on my own in September 2018 at the age of 65. It was tough but definitely doing LEJoG again in a few years time! Looking back at my diary I realise the Cicerone route is based primarily on Youth Hostels and I will avoid the Forest of Bowland and Clun (the climb 3 miles out of Clun probably one of the worst!) although I agree that that one before Fowey on Day 1 is cruel.... Loved Moffat, hated the road surface to Glasgow, loved Tyndrum to Glencoe, hated the A82 to Fort William too!!
So next time I would do northwards out of Cornwall/Devon, avoid Clun hill, go Mersey crossing, Lancaster and A6 to Carlisle and after Gretna go east through Edinburgh but can't wait to do Inverness north exactly the same, but without Storm Ali.... Never had the climbing stats on my bike computer so thanks for this. Doing Bristol to Monmouth on a Sunday also helps with the Avon industrial section.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well I am glad you liked Dartmoor.
Best done from tavistock - princetown - mortenhampstead, or in reverse :)
That way it will be exhilarating both ways....seriously, the big dipper from princetown to merrivale or princetown to yelverton will pull your hair out :P
Hair raising yep down into mortenhampstead :lol: Probably the best drop by far off Dartmoor.
Easy route up Dartmoor from Plymouth would be the "Drakes Trail" not sure which way you went but the road up from Plymouth is busy to yelverton, straight on up to Dartmoor this is a climb too, (unless you would head straight for tavistock then on up to Oakhampton) then on to postbridge and on into mortenhampstead. As you know many views on Dartmoor.

Its a pity that many shun Dartmoor, the weather in summer is nothing compared to the north and Scotland for sure in summer, you found that out the hard way.

Well done!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.