Concussion and head injury

661-Pete

Concussion and head injury

Post by 661-Pete »

Although I mentioned my little 'mishap' on another thread, I think I need to bring it up again in H&F....

Fact is, about 5 weeks ago I took a tumble backwards off a step-ladder in France, banging my head hard on the ground. I also hurt my back, but that seems to have cleared up now. I went to the local hospital the following day and was given a checking-over including a CT scan: and was given the all-clear - just told to rest and take painkillers as necessary.

Now I'm still getting headaches and dizzy spells at times. I'm assuming that this is still the after-effects of a fairly severe concussion (reading up about the subject supports this assumption). But I don't get dizzy when cycling (otherwise I'd have had to stop cycling). I do get headaches - particularly when I cycle over a bump in the road (I try to mitigate the jolt to my head by standing off the saddle when I see a bump ahead - but don't always see it in time). No, the dizzy spells usually come after I've been sedentary for a while (e.g. sitting at the computer - like now).

So I'm still cycling - modest amounts, never more than 10 miles in one go. And definitely slower that I used to - I probably average about 10mph on level roads.

I'm sure at least someone on here has had similar, so I'm looking for advice. Should I go back to the doctor? I'm not exactly a cripple, though it is uncomfortable...
Last edited by 661-Pete on 19 Jan 2020, 9:15am, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tinnishill

Re: Concussion (?)

Post by Tinnishill »

Here is a link to the standard NHS advice on head injuries;

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg176
Agitate, educate, organise.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

That's a site for medics. I need a site for patients.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Try this;

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg176/ ... -191717245

I should say, I'm a first aider, not a medic. Bottom line, if worried bother your Doctor.
Agitate, educate, organise.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Check out patients.co.uk and the. Mayo clinic from the us. The first one is what my gp uses to explain things to his patients. Usually I just read up before I see him to save time and have further questions that it doesn't answer ready for him. :D
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

661-Pete wrote:That's a site for medics. I need a site for patients.

This is for patients https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/minor-head-injury/ or this https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/severe-head-injury/ or https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/severe-he ... /recovery/
Richard M
Cardiff
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes, you should talk to your doctors again
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Hi,

I also am no doctor but I have unfortunately been concussed a couple of times.

Pain from the head injuries passed fairly quickly but for whiles I was plagued by what is known as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. http://www.menieres.org.uk/information- ... tions/bppv.

Simple head movements can trigger dizziness, from mild to near vomiting in my case.

It seems that a severe head knock can move debris in your inner ear which affects your balance. In my case it passed after a month or so, but there are physio exercises to move the debris in your ears to less sensitive areas.

It's possible that you may have this too but you would do well to check with your doctor.

Cheers
geomannie
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Here's an interesting article. I don't know where the proper gen is (one should be wary of the precis of a newspap writing).

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... ury-deaths

Perhaps we cyclists who feel at risk of a bonce-bonk should be carrying about some of this stuff rather than perching a plastic bonnet upon our heads?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
filiasphil

Post by filiasphil »

Sounds like you have Post Concussion Syndrome. With regard to your dizziness, take a look at the Dizziness Handicap Inventory and answer the questions. If you answer "yes" or "sometimes" to several of the questions, you will have suffered from some form of balance dysfunction. I would suggest you see a Vestibular Physiotherapist for an assessment and advise.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I had a head injury in a car crash which left me with occasional dizziness for a while, generally triggered by laying on my back. The Dr prescribed Vertigon, but it's difficult to say whether the improvement was any faster than it would have been without it.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

I had similar experience after a rear end from a drunk driver. I'm pretty certain though it was the pain medication I was taking, as the side effects were pretty full on. They included dizzy spells, nausea, lack of appetite and worst of all that 'spaced out' feeling which nearly resulted in me cycling into a brick wall (walls are hard, they do not move and hurt quite a bit when you hit em!)

All of these symptoms stopped almost immediately I quit the pain medication.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Concussed heads can take a while to heal. I might give it a week or two, and go back after that, if it isn't better.

But if you are worried, a trip to the GP certainly won't do any harm.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I need to post an update: things are getting more serious.

I thought I was well on the mend, until last Sunday evening (3rd), when I suffered what I thought was a heavy cold. The cold had more or less cleared up the following morning, but now I find I can hardly mount the bike. Once I'm on it, I'm OK: it's the getting on.

It came to a head this afternoon when I gave up and walked the bike home. It must be down to my balance I suppose. When not on the bike I'm almost normal. Anyway, the doctor (on Tuesday) said, if it gets worse, go to A&E. Will probably do that next week. Will keep you guys updated.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I hope you are okay 661pete.
my issues are not as bad as yours but I have noticed I struggle to balance sometimes, I keep thinking it's old age, I am okay on the bike but when I come to a slow track stand It's like feeling a bit drunk. I get it standing and turning at home sometimes.
Get well soon.
Mine is probably my medication.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.