Eating and drinking on public transport.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Eating and drinking on public transport.

Post by Mike Sales »

I am a little puzzled by the Chief Medical Officer's call to ban eating and drinking on public transport. When I get on the bus I see signs banning food and drink already.
When I take a train it often has a buffet car, and on longer journeys refreshment is needed.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
millimole

Re: Eating and drinking on public transport.

Post by millimole »

Mike Sales wrote:I am a little puzzled by the Chief Medical Officer's call to ban eating and drinking on public transport. When I get on the bus I see signs banning food and drink already.
When I take a train it often has a buffet car, and on longer journeys refreshment is needed.
You are right about the ban on buses - but as with so many things, there is no enforcement.
The train ban proposal was poorly reported - the proposal was for a ban on 'local trains' which I take to mean services like the London Underground, T&W Metro etc.
As I understood the suggestion, longer distance trains would be unaffected. Enforcement is a question that remains unanswered. Peer pressure doesn't work.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'Please to refrain from enjoying heavily spiced aromatic foods in the train' :?

Of course if one takes a train from Aberdeen to Penzance one might get hungry
Surely one is not expected to consume only food from the buff€t
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Of course if one takes a train from Aberdeen to Penzance one might get hungry
Surely one is not expected to consume only food from the buff€t

Surely not. I always take my own supplies on longer journeys. That way I get better food and cheaper.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
sjs

Post by sjs »

Listening with half an ear on the radio the other morning I was baffled by the assertion that a ban on smacking on public transport would help reduce childhood obesity.