Diplomatic Immunity?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Now we've segued seamlessly to US Food Standards, may I just say that they do seem to eat and be happy to eat a right load of old carp.

They're eating Carp now?
I thought that was only the eastern Europeans :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

For religious reasons protein-packed carp were eaten at monasteries
They gobble up the muck from the bed of the lake, maybe that is how they got their name
Once a year the water is let out of the pond (a big lake actually) and the poor stranded beasts meet their Maker
People have plenty of other food now but they still have carp parties
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:For religious reasons protein-packed carp were eaten at monasteries
They gobble up the muck from the bed of the lake, maybe that is how they got their name
Once a year the water is let out of the pond (a big lake actually) and the poor stranded beasts meet their Maker

They clearly didnt have diplomatic immunity
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:For religious reasons protein-packed carp were eaten at monasteries

Carp was a year round (Friday) food, and harvested as such. I think that you may be confusing it with Far Eastern commercial farming where discrete ponds are harvested as the inhabitants reach optimum weight.

Carp are omnivores, taking advantage of any and all food sources, including filter feeding by sifting through silt for bloodworm in particular.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Funny thing about diplomatic immunity. The killer wife of the US spook apparently lost immunity by going home as soon as she went home she put herself in the position of being subject to investigation and potentially extradition to the UK to stand trial.

However, it's likely to be the driving equivalent of manslaughter that she'll be charged with. If found guilty community service perhaps? Although I did hear more recently they've tightened things like this resulting in prison sentences more often. Anyone know for sure? Would they even bother with extradition for such a crime?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

OK so we're all ok with Halal butchery ?????
As long as the animals don't smell of chlorine ???

And gassing pigs is their own fault as they shouldn't taste of bacon ... :roll:

Anyway .. Diplomatic immunity revoked ... Let's see if she pops over for the trial ...
Oh!!! Latest news ...! ...No she won't be coming over to stand trial for murder .. Greta says her carbon footprint would be too big ... After all she will get off Scott free anyway !!! .. :evil:
Last edited by landsurfer on 14 Oct 2019, 7:08am, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Latest from the Telegraph .. The family of Harry are flying out to the USA to fulfil a number of media appointments in New York....

Really ?

Justice .......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

landsurfer wrote:Latest from the Telegraph .. The family of Harry are flying out to the USA to fulfil a number of media appointments in New York....

Really ?

Justice .......

By remarkable coincidence there happened to be a camera crew on the same plane as them.

Our immuno-suppressed former neighbour says she wants to meet them to express sorrow and regret.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

landsurfer wrote:OK so we're all ok with Halal butchery ?????

I'm not (or Kosher).
Not all forms of Halal require the animal to be slaughtered without stunning though - like most religious nonsense it's all down to your interpretation.

landsurfer wrote:And gassing pigs is their own fault as they shouldn't taste of bacon ... :roll:

Gassing with CO2 is just as cruel and should be stopped too.
landsurfer wrote:Anyway .. Diplomatic immunity revoked ... Let's see if she pops over for the trial ...

Harry's family are saying they wont meet with her unless she promises to return.
I'm in two minds here, it could backfire if they look like they're being inflexible but on the other hand I'm sure that a combination of pressure at home and a desire to ease her own conscious is what's driving her desire to meet them anyway.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't eat meat. I'd rather that no, or at least many fewer animals died to feed humans, but most Halal slaughter includes stunning the animals prior to slaughter. To be Halal, means the animal must be alive and healthy when slaughtered.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Vorpal wrote:the animal must be alive and healthy when slaughtered.

Can you slaughter a dead animal? :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

kwackers wrote:

:lol: :lol: no, probably not. But sometimes stunning actually kills the animal, which is not permitted according to Islamic law.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Growth hormones are fed to milch cows in the USA to increase milk yield. This can lead to lameness and mastitis and is illegal in the EU.
American farmers also use antibiotics to promote growth.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 14 Oct 2019, 11:52am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:

I don't eat meat. I'd rather that no, or at least many fewer animals died to feed humans, but most Halal slaughter includes stunning the animals prior to slaughter. To be Halal, means the animal must be alive and healthy when slaughtered.
I knew at least one rabbi who (although he never gave an explicit reason) was clearly uneasy about eating Kosher meat, so he and his family became vegetarians. This was back in the 1970s long before veggie became 'fashionable' (and long before I gave up meat). Quite possibly, other Jews and Muslims may have thought likewise.

I was fed kosher meat as a child, but wouldn't eat it now.

My renunciation of meat was based on less ethical lines, I'm afraid. But helping to reduce the carbon footprint of the meat industry? Not much I can do as an individual, but....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:
kwackers wrote:

:lol: :lol: no, probably not. But sometimes stunning actually kills the animal, which is not permitted according to Islamic law.

this is getting way off topic.