Phone with google

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Phone with google

Post by Oldjohnw »

Since I am unable to get BBC Sounds on my ancient 5 year old iPad mini I installed it on my new Moto phone.

As soon as I plug the ear phones in the sound goes all over the place. It switches off and on, goes from full to zero volume. At first it was constantly interrupted by good assist asking me what I wanted. This was almost permanent.

I was able to disable Google assist but now a get a message which partially obscures the screen suggesting I switch assist on.

This happens whether using the radio app nor sounds.

On my iPad if I try to get radio on the internet using the BBC website, the programme appears but it won't switch on.

All I am able to do is use an app I found for the iPad and get live radio. I tend to listen to old programmes at home and want radio when away. Neither works.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks.
John
Psamathe

Re: Phone with google

Post by Psamathe »

I don't know about the streaming apps but for BBC Radio many programs are available a podcasts so you could try and subscribe to the programs you want through the built-in podcasts app. These tend to be downloaded and can be played offline.

If it's an old device you might find be best to use the built-in Podcast app. I can't comment on that app as I use a different app for podcasts.

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The phone is brand new. I will try podcasts on the iPad. But when I away I only want the phone with me.

Two separate problems, I'm afraid
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:The phone is brand new. I will try podcasts on the iPad. But when I away I only want the phone with me.

Two separate problems, I'm afraid

If it's a newer device there are far better apps (in my opinion) than Apple's built-in podcast app, but they may no longer be supported on older devices (depends on OS versions ...).

Suggested podcasts as an alternative way to get to listen to your BBC radio programs (almost certainly better/more reliable than in a web browser).

Ian
rjb

Post by rjb »

I can't download podcasts through the BBC sounds app. It's a less than 2 year old android tablet which doesn't support the app. :(
The BBC sounds app lets you download most radio programmes for a limited timescale, most of these are not available as podcasts.
I don't know who is responsible for this lack of foresight, the BBC, the app developer, Lenovo the tablet maker, or the Android developers.
Why can't they all get together and make something that works. Grrrrrrrrrr!
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We listen to BBC Radio on our ancient iMac running Yosemite 10.10.5 max it'll taake ............ and our ancient iPad Mini plus both our ancient iPhone 5c.

iPad and iPhones are at the max software IOS 10.3.3 and work perfectly though BBC Sounds isn't supported.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Any help for my phone? A brand new Moto phone with Google. Whatever I try to use - radio, sounds, podcasts - as soon as he head phones are inserted the system goes haywire. I imagine that it thnks I am trying to communicate with Google Assist.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Oldjohnw wrote:Any help for my phone? A brand new Moto phone with Google. Whatever I try to use - radio, sounds, podcasts - as soon as he head phones are inserted the system goes haywire. I imagine that it thnks I am trying to communicate with Google Assist.

Google assist requires something to wake it up, either saying "hello google" (which you can turn off) or pressing the 'mic' icon on the screen.

One possibility though is your headphones are tripping some sort of 'awake and listen' mode for Google.
Did they come with the phone? (Do they have a mic and a 'talk' button? I'm thinking a talk button could trigger Google if it was faulty.)
Have you tried different headphones?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I've just tried some other headphones and it works. It does seem that headphones trigger assist. No headphones came with the phone.

Unfortunately for obvious reasons I want small earphones. I will need to get in touch with where I bought the phone (BT)

Thanks guys.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

BBC Sounds can be accessed thru a browser

Alot of people have been complaining about the Sounds app. I listening to a BBC show last night reporting the complaintes and the spokesman for the app seemed rather complacent....and young..... and robotic in tone ( you old fogies you need to do this and that duh)
rjb

Post by rjb »

mercalia wrote:BBC Sounds can be accessed thru a browser

Alot of people have been complaining about the Sounds app. I listening to a BBC show last night reporting the complaintes and the spokesman for the app seemed rather complacent....and young..... and robotic in tone ( you old fogies you need to do this and that duh)

I've tried that too, but it doesn't let you download programmes unless there is a podcast or you stream it and listen. Not very convenient if you want to carry it with you to listen later. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:I've just tried some other headphones and it works. It does seem that headphones trigger assist. No headphones came with the phone.

Unfortunately for obvious reasons I want small earphones. I will need to get in touch with where I bought the phone (BT)

Thanks guys.

Check for differences between the working and non-woking headphones. Specifically, do they both have or not have microphone and the additional connection on the 3.5mm jack i.e. tip plus 3 rings (with mic) or tip plus two rings (normal stereo).

I also find I don't get on with a lot of headphones though am lucky in that one of the few I do find good are the standard Apple ones (the ones that come with their phones).

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I think I might have it sorted. The mic seems to tell Google Assist that I want to communicate. It is fine without a mic.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:I think I might have it sorted. The mic seems to tell Google Assist that I want to communicate. It is fine without a mic.

If it's the mic. Google probably just want to listen in on your conversations.

Ian
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

rjb wrote:
mercalia wrote:BBC Sounds can be accessed thru a browser

I've tried that too, but it doesn't let you download programmes unless there is a podcast or you stream it and listen. Not very convenient if you want to carry it with you to listen later. :(

I have been able to download programmes without them being podcasts and without listening to them first. I don't remember the detail but it may be that I had to start it playing and then pause it to find the download option.
Richard M
Cardiff