The right way to handle the Scottish Independence?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: The right way to handle the Scotish Independance?

Post by pwa »

rualexander wrote:
pwa wrote:And that expression, which I also use, sums up the way we in the UK deal with these things. If a chunk of the UK displays a wish to leave the UK and they do it for long enough, they will get a chance to vote on it. The Scots have voted on it twice in my lifetime and will probably do so again at some point yet to be decided.

Twice?
When was the other independence vote in Scotland apart from 2014?

I was wrong. The previous two votes were about Devolution (1979 and 1997) rather than Independence. But the point remains basically the same. In the UK if a part of the Union consistently expresses a desire to leave, sooner or later a vote is granted. We don't do what Spain does, which is basically to say that no part of the union / nation can ever have a vote on leaving.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tangled Metal wrote:Btw perhaps mick knows, is cornish more like breton than Welsh?
I am reliably informed, that all three are similar, even sharing some words.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tangled Metal wrote:The wall was south of the Scottish border I thought. Although I think I read once that there was another wall north of hadrian's wall.
The wall was put there to raise taxation and to delineate the Roman Empire from the Pictish people.
The Scots came from Ireland. It was Pictland before the Scots took over.

The Romans allowed passage at specific points and took a payment. It wasn't a sealed border.

Antoninus built another wall further north between the Forth and Clyde, as has been said ............. but it was more of a ditch and dyke thing little of which survives. Still interesting to visit though.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

So nothing to do with the creation of Scottish border where it is then.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:The wall was south of the Scottish border I thought. Although I think I read once that there was another wall north of hadrian's wall.
The wall was put there to raise taxation and to delineate the Roman Empire from the Pictish people.
The Scots came from Ireland. It was Pictland before the Scots took over.

The Romans allowed passage at specific points and took a payment. It wasn't a sealed border.

Antoninus built another wall further north between the Forth and Clyde, as has been said ............. but it was more of a ditch and dyke thing little of which survives. Still interesting to visit though.

The little bits I have seen of it not much of a wall, could climb over it :lol: Great feat of Roman engineering. not
pwa

Post by pwa »

Just like most of Offa's Dyke, those Roman "walls" do not mark modern borders, and probably never were serious defensive structures. They were symbolic markers, basically saying "this side is ours, that side is yours".
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes.
Control of the peoples.
Taxations and restrictions.

I hear the Catalans are kicking off again. I don't blame them at all, and it's a small step for some Scots to get to that too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pwa wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
pwa wrote:Scotland's main trading partner is and probably always will be England, but when all is said and done the status of Scotland must be one that Scots accept. We cannot keep Scotland in a union if the people of Scotland do not want it. That would not be right.

Yet we are dragging them out out of the EU against their will

That was a decision for the whole of the UK together. But if that stops Scots wanting to be part of the UK, in the end they will get to choose. If they do choose to leave the UK, that's sad but fine. If they choose to stay in the UK they will be accepting that they have to abide by UK-wide decisions just like any other part of the UK. Just like Cornwall or the North West of England, or Wales or Northern Ireland. No part of the UK is so special that it gets a veto over UK-wide decisions.

Yet ironically an Eastern European nation can if Boris gets his way?

I am just waiting for the Scottish application to rejoin the EU!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well that'll probably solve the currency question. Euros obviously. :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cunobelin wrote:I am just waiting for the Scottish application to rejoin the EU!

That would be a discussion to be had between them and the EU. It would, of course, put a frontier between Scotland and its main trading partner, but that would be their choice and nowt to do with me.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:I am just waiting for the Scottish application to rejoin the EU!

That would be a discussion to be had between them and the EU. It would, of course, put a frontier between Scotland and its main trading partner, but that would be their choice and nowt to do with me.

put up a Trump Wall to keep them out :wink: Let them freeze and stew in their damp part of this island :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

mercalia wrote:
pwa wrote:

put up a Trump Wall to keep them out :wink: Let them freeze and stew in their damp part of this island :wink:

Now now :lol:
I think we can all still be nice to each other. I will still buy their porridge oats.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Of course we can still be nice to each other! :D
Same as any country.

However, I don't like porridge, and I don't like whiskey. Not fond of haggis though we used to eat it now and again when the girls were little when we lived up there.

What else do they produce that I may like?
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Hydro electricity!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You get that from Wales and England too.
Mick F. Cornwall