Extinction Rebellion

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:
100%JR wrote:Can you explain why you (wrongly) think I’m a petrol head?

This perhaps
100%JR wrote:......Couple of Supercars(Lambo/Aston Martin/McClaren,couple of runaround cars(Range Rover,Bentley) couple of Superbikes,couple more bikes and a really nice custom VW T6.......

Thanks pete75. Saves me the bother of trawling through a lot of drivel.

And this bit bothers me a bit, too:
buy three or four new rifles too.
Remember one thing, JR. What to you may be merely sarcasm, can be taken literally by others.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
Remember one thing, JR. What to you may be merely sarcasm, can be taken literally by others.

He may be a farmer or other land owner and need to control deer and/or he goes lamping.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Why does it bother you about someone buying rifles if legally held? Especially since it's easier to own cars and be more dangerous that way?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:Why does it bother you about someone buying rifles if legally held? Especially since it's easier to own cars and be more dangerous that way?

Tangled Metal wrote:Why does it bother you about someone buying rifles if legally held?

I don't know why it bothers him but possibly because almost all the UK mass shootings, Hungerford, Dunblane, Cumbria etc have been carried out by folk with legally held weapons.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pete75 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Why does it bother you about someone buying rifles if legally held? Especially since it's easier to own cars and be more dangerous that way?

Tangled Metal wrote:Why does it bother you about someone buying rifles if legally held?

I don't know why it bothers him but possibly because almost all the UK mass shootings, Hungerford, Dunblane, Cumbria etc have been carried out by folk with legally held weapons.

Indeed.

The purpose of a weapon is its use.

The use of a rifle is to shoot things, generally live things.

The live things are often other humans. (See army, criminal gangs, etc.).

Of course, some think the primary purpose of a car is its use to run over PEOPLE IN MY WAY. :-) Mind, some think similar thoughts about the hammer or even the woodworking chisel. Myself I have a dozen hammers and many more woodworking chisels. I ignore any suggestions they make about going out with one to run amok. So far.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:
100%JR wrote:Can you explain why you (wrongly) think I’m a petrol head?

This perhaps
100%JR wrote:......Couple of Supercars(Lambo/Aston Martin/McClaren,couple of runaround cars(Range Rover,Bentley) couple of Superbikes,couple more bikes and a really nice custom VW T6.......

Thanks pete75. Saves me the bother of trawling through a lot of drivel.

So because I’d buy a few cars if I had millions that makes me a petrol head?By your weird logic then that means every one who owns cars is a petrol head?
Why does it bother you regards the rifles?
You’ve obviously put two and two together and come up with five.Like cycling different disciplines require different equipment.I have three bikes(had 5 at one point)I also have three rifles.Does it bother you I have three bikes?
Maybe you should actually read through my “drivel” before making assumptions :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

How did this topic come up?

Oh well, let's go with it. I was talking to a park ranger a few weeks ago and he was telling me about the culling of the deer that happens each winter. The people doing the shooting start by demonstrating their marksmanship by hitting small targets at a set distance, before turning their attentions to the deer. The idea is that they must kill the deer quickly, rather than inflicting a wound that will cause prolonged suffering. The carcasses go for food. If you have eaten venison it will have come from this sort of operation. I don't eat meat at all, but if I did I would consider venison to be fairly high on the livestock welfare scale. The deer live a good free range life and die quickly. The guns that kill them are the tools of professionals who use them responsibly. But I would not want to live in a place where any Tom, Dick or Harry could have a gun.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

pete75 wrote:

Out of how many who legally own guns but didn't go on a shooting rampage? Isn't that fear of the incredibly rare event a bit like being against cyclists because they mow down pedestrians by cycling furiously?

There has been one spree killing using legally held guns since the law was changed post Dunblane in 1996. That was in 2010 in Cumbria. In 2016 three pedestrians died due to collisions with cyclists. Compared with 12 people killed in that incident in 2010.

I'm just pointing out that there's far more things that should be higher up your list of things to be afraid of than guns in the UK.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There was a deer farm near Ribchester when I lived near there as a kid. Roe deer for the meat. Not exactly free range.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tangled Metal wrote:There was a deer farm near Ribchester when I lived near there as a kid. Roe deer for the meat. Not exactly free range.

Our local deer source is Margam Park. Red and fallow deer (and Pere David's, though I don't know if they cull them), and while they are behind fences...

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.564327, ... 0?hl=en-GB

.... the land within is extensive so they roam around. That is my idea of Free Range. A bit like sheep but without the live transportation bit. They live on poor grazing land not fit for much else.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

He may be a farmer or other land owner and need to control deer and/or he goes lamping.

Equally so he may be an Olympic level target shooter.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

100%JR wrote:So because I’d buy a few cars if I had millions that makes me a petrol head?By your weird logic then that means every one who owns cars is a petrol head?
Why does it bother you regards the rifles?
You’ve obviously put two and two together and come up with five.Like cycling different disciplines require different equipment.I have three bikes(had 5 at one point)I also have three rifles.Does it bother you I have three bikes?
Maybe you should actually read through my “drivel” before making assumptions :wink:

Your choice of cars betrays you. Who else - even if they had the money - would want a "Lambo/Aston Martin/McClaren/Range Rover,Bentley (don't know what a VW T6 is)..." other than a car fanatic - ergo, "petrolhead"? Sorry, but the cap fits. I have one - repeat one - car for those occasions when other means of transport won't do. It certainly isn't any of the above. And I don't think the cap fits me!

As to the rifles - why more than one? You may indeed be a shooting enthusiast, granted, but "three or four new rifles" is a tad suspicious. Do they break down that often? (like Lambos/Astons/etc. are reputed to do :lol: )

OK, no doubt you'll do your best to demolish these arguments. How about your signature line then? OK - so it's meant to be a joke? I've seen you post stuff hostile to safety cameras on this forum. I think you're in a minority!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

It seems to me that knocking 100% JR has become a marvellous diversion for the activities of XR, I can only guess that that is why some people seem to be going after him.

Personally I think that XR have become a very poor advertisement for green issues, they seem to have got carried away with themselves rather than engaging with the public. Certainly the disruption that they have caused in London has made a point or two but the magnitude of that disruption and its length discredits them as a responsible organisation. Simply put there are better ways to protest and engage support from the general public, to my mind they have completely unnecessarily scored many home goals and that doesn’t help the green movement at all.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:As to the rifles - why more than one? You may indeed be a shooting enthusiast, granted, but "three or four new rifles" is a tad suspicious. Do they break down that often? (like Lambos/Astons/etc. are reputed to do :lol: )

You may have apoint there. Rifles are only really needed for shooting bigish stuff and that means deer in this country. The best deer shot I know uses an old ww2 vintage mauser 98k. He only has that rifle. Any smaller animal and a 12 bore will do. You can use them on deer but very often it's not the most humane way to kill them.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Carlton green wrote:It seems to me that knocking 100% JR has become a marvellous diversion for the activities of XR, I can only guess that that is why some people seem to be going after him.

Personally I think that XR have become a very poor advertisement for green issues, they seem to have got carried away with themselves rather than engaging with the public. Certainly the disruption that they have caused in London has made a point or two but the magnitude of that disruption and its length discredits them as a responsible organisation. Simply put there are better ways to protest and engage support from the general public, to my mind they have completely unnecessarily scored many home goals and that doesn’t help the green movement at all.

Perhaps we all need to have our comfortable consumer lives disrupted - even stopped - since we seem unable to halt the plunge into climate disaster of our own volition? You. me and everyone else (even many of the XRers) continue to consume and to participate to various degrees in a thousand human activities that will continue to warm the atmosphere, make hundreds of species per decade extinct and otherwise pollute the biosphere that is now quite rapidly becoming unusable by future generations.

The vast generation of pollution by humans in cities is a consequence not just of the cars but all the other stuff, from throwaway plastics to the energy used (and pollution produced) by even trains and buses. Our normal mode of wealth creation is itself an enormous pollutant on several levels, from the production of landfill to the vast use of energy just to get from home to work.

I can fully understand the panic of those XRers who have realised that we, the human species, is continuing the plunge because all of us find it hard to give up even the smallest convenience.

You might make a case that the more disruptive XR activities are not very politic, merely hardening the attitudes of we do-nowt humans. We can observe several flavours of hardened attitudes against doing what XR wants here in the forum, including yours. From this point of view, I would agree with those that opine that XR actions will change nothing of the large policies that governments, business and other dominant organisations continue to rope us into, as we maintain our incomes, comforts and lifestyles.

But the XRers are not the big problem, are they? All of us humans and our activities are the big problem.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes