** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote: ..if only the UK had a head of government that did that instead of points-scoring and piffle-waffle.
Has UK got a head of government? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Psmathe, Always view the creation of such economic models as about as reliable as feeling seaweed to predict weather!
My rheumatism is more accurate :lol: :lol: :lol: . MM
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Psmathe, Always view the creation of such economic models as about as reliable as feeling seaweed to predict weather!
My rheumatism is more accurate :lol: :lol: :lol: . MM

Your alternative?

Government policy should be entirely evidence free? Government shouldn't plan at all?

Everyone, remainer or brexiter, should be afraid of a government that either 1) doesn't have a clue how its policies will pan out, or 2) wants to hide its findings from the public.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi again, Economists are like Barristers, - Ask 3 Barristers for an opinion on a matter and you'll get at least 6 answers! MM
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

bovlomov wrote:
Everyone, remainer or brexiter, should be afraid of a government that either 1) doesn't have a clue how its policies will pan out, or 2) wants to hide its findings from the public.

Sounds like every Government we've ever had :lol:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Spinners wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

And why we're in the current mess!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Spinners wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

Well, yes. Evidence based policy is a rare thing. But when the country is about to embark on the biggest change is living memory, you'd think someone would have done a few calculations about the possible effects.

This idea, that economists get it wrong so there's no point, I find extremely dangerous. It's like the argument that all politicians are as bad as each other. Basically, it concedes that everything is a race to the bottom and that there is no point trying. Economist do get things wrong and many politicians do lie. But there is a huge difference between a world of imperfect forecasts and imperfect politicians, and a world of reckless policymaking and thoroughly dishonest rogue politicians (such as Johnson). I'd prefer to live in the former.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:
Spinners wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

Well, yes. Evidence based policy is a rare thing. But when the country is about to embark on the biggest change is living memory, you'd think someone would have done a few calculations about the possible effects.

I think they have but aren't letting anyone know.There's been two court cases recently to shed light on what the government didn't want even the HofC to debate and decide on!

This idea, that economists get it wrong so there's no point, I find extremely dangerous. It's like the argument that all politicians are as bad as each other. Basically, it concedes that everything is a race to the bottom and that there is no point trying. Economist do get things wrong and many politicians do lie. But there is a huge difference between a world of imperfect forecasts and imperfect politicians, and a world of reckless policymaking and thoroughly dishonest rogue politicians (such as Johnson). I'd prefer to live in the former.

Me too.
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

bovlomov wrote:Well, yes. Evidence based policy is a rare thing. But when the country is about to embark on the biggest change is living memory, you'd think someone would have done a few calculations about the possible effects.

Your average Joe plus the internet is now a match for any expert.

Gut feelings and ignorance trump experts and facts every day of the week.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

kwackers wrote:
Gut feelings and ignorance trump experts and facts every day of the week.

Trump, experts and facts... all in the one sentence. How rare is that :wink:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Psamathe wrote:I see that the Government if refusing to release crucial information to allow MPs to amke an informed decision.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-latest-chancellor-sajid-javid-boris-johnson-economy-damage-a9161391.html wrote:Brexit: Chancellor refuses to publish analysis of economic damage from Boris Johnson's deal before MPs vote
The chancellor is refusing to publish an analysis of the likely economic damage from the new Brexit deal ahead of Saturday’s crunch vote, amid suspicions it would reveal a £130bn hit.

Senior MPs have condemned as “unacceptable” a failure to publish the information, when the Commons is being asked to make its most momentous decision in decades.

So Piffle and his cronies think it best MPs make an un-informed decision by withholding available and relevant and crucial information from them. To me it would seem impossible to make a sensible decision if you don't have the facts available.

Maybe it's just another illustration about how daft our politics in the UK has become (and Leave supporters want to give more power to these people in Westminster!).
N
Ian

Of course the logical thing to do is accept the situation!

Without full and relevant information it would be irresponsible to vote in support of the deal on Saturday... this could so easily backfire
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Spinners wrote:Trump, experts and facts... all in the one sentence. How rare is that :wink:

These days, not very... :wink:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:No they'r enot professionals.
Who said being a professional was a badge of honesty in every case. I certainly didn't. What i said was that your claim that professional people are like drug dealers is wrong.

And my point was that professionals can get upto illegal practices which cause distress and death just like drug dealers

What you actually said was ""Professionals" manipulate people to start unnecessary wars that kill millions to sell arms and associated equipement is that any better than drug dealers?"
Very different to what you claim you said.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Roubaixtuesday, Let me correct my wording to explain a constantly raised point.
The way you treat all who seek a proper orderly ingress into the U.K. is as follows - You don't out and out accuse any of us of "Being" xenophobic, what you do though is accuse us of "Being on a "Xenophobic Agenda", always creating a short mental leap to direct accusation!
Well we now have to be very careful over using any words at all these days, so many words and phrases our no taboo! To point terms that have been at the core of legal training are now deemed to be terms of abuse. We have "Cut Throat Politics", but we can't use terms such as "Cut Throat Defence", ironic isn't it?
I'm told that language is constantly evolving, well that is as may be, but if words that have been in service with an agreed meaning get hi-jack for a completely different meaning then trouble is bound to arise!
If we take the trouble to explain fully be may get labelled verbose, so damned if we do, damned if we don't :( . TTFN MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:No they'r enot professionals.
Who said being a professional was a badge of honesty in every case. I certainly didn't. What i said was that your claim that professional people are like drug dealers is wrong.

And my point was that professionals can get upto illegal practices which cause distress and death just like drug dealers

What you actually said was ""Professionals" manipulate people to start unnecessary wars that kill millions to sell arms and associated equipement is that any better than drug dealers?"
Very different to what you claim you said.

OK Pete you win,it ain't worth the hassle,have a nice day :)
W H Auden