How did I bend my wheel in half!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gbnz

How did I bend my wheel in half!

Post by gbnz »

Hmm.......any thoughts? Further to an accident last weekend my front wheel is bent in two. If not in half by ay least 40 degrees! I can't figure it out! It's the front wheel on the bike, a moderate strength exal rim, 32 spoked, home built, five years use but minimal wear (NB. despite a good mileage).

1. Has the wheel dropped into a grated manhole and effectively bent in two as I've toppled over? (NB. There are grated manholes on the road section in question)
2. Has the construction itself failed? I put it together as a temporary wheel five years ago, a bit concerned that a good few spokes were differing lengths. But following five years use it remained in near perfect true, spokes all tensioned, perfectly acceptable wear to the rim, no sign of issues developing (NB. I check as a matter of routine)
3. Has a vehicle run over it and bent it out of shape?

Can't figure it out (NB. I'll have had a seizure resulting in the accident, but I can't see merely toppling off the bike resulting in this damage :? )
Brucey

Re: How did I bend my wheel in half!

Post by Brucey »

if you turn the steering sideways violently/suddenly enough, the front wheel will just fold over. Wheels are not that strong laterally; I have folded them over in exactly that way (e.g. swerving to avoid someone who stepped out from between parked cars). In Richard's bicycle book I think it describes the result as being like "the front wheel melts into the tarmac" or similar. Maybe something like that is what happened?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PH

Post by PH »

When I had a handlebar break, the wheel turned sharply and did just that.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

This photo of it happening to Cav shows it rather well.
https://www.reddit.com/r/peloton/commen ... does_best/
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Thanks to both, have to admit the concept that a wheel could simply "fold" isn't one I'd have thought of. But it's clearly happened to others, so clearly it can! On a postive note, a passing delivery driver picked the bike up, returned it home and took the care to carefully tuck it behind the wheelie bins.

A fantastic sight to see on arriving home at 04.30am, 40 odd hours post accident :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

half the spokes break at the same time? does that ever happen. maybe a few then the stress does the rest?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Isn't what happened to that wheel sometimes called "crisping", in the sense that the wheel ends up bent like a crisp? I've done it with a rear wheel when I skidded in a crash. Many years ago.
RickH

Post by RickH »

pwa wrote:Isn't what happened to that wheel sometimes called "crisping", in the sense that the wheel ends up bent like a crisp? I've done it with a rear wheel when I skidded in a crash. Many years ago.

I think what you call "crisping", & I have generally heard called "pringling", is a somewhat different phenomenon where the rim twists into another fairly stable state (which it sometimes possible to get the wheel to spring back to something like true from).

I've seen it happen in a cyclocross race where a rider trying to regain control has turned the bars too far & bent the wheel ending up with 2 semicircles of wheel more-or-less at right angles to each other, but the 2 halves each still looking reasonably true.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pwa

Post by pwa »

RickH wrote:
pwa wrote:Isn't what happened to that wheel sometimes called "crisping", in the sense that the wheel ends up bent like a crisp? I've done it with a rear wheel when I skidded in a crash. Many years ago.

I think what you call "crisping", & I have generally heard called "pringling", is a somewhat different phenomenon where the rim twists into another fairly stable state (which it sometimes possible to get the wheel to spring back to something like true from).

I've seen it happen in a cyclocross race where a rider trying to regain control has turned the bars too far & bent the wheel ending up with 2 semicircles of wheel more-or-less at right angles to each other, but the 2 halves each still looking reasonably true.

Pringles didn't exist in about 1990 when I did it to a wheel and told my better half that I needed a new wheel because I had "crisped" one. Whatever it was called, it wasn't rectifiable with a spoke key. Definitely cause by dragging sideways a loaded wheel that wasn't designed for that.
RickH

Post by RickH »

pwa wrote:Pringles didn't exist in about 1990 when I did it to a wheel and told my better half that I needed a new wheel because I had "crisped" one. Whatever it was called, it wasn't rectifiable with a spoke key. Definitely cause by dragging sideways a loaded wheel that wasn't designed for that.

I've never had cause to try it but the situation I'm thinking of is where the distortion is symmetrical - diametrically opposite sides go a bit one way & the opposite sides in between go the other way. Rather than use a spoke key, the roadside repair is to whack one side of the wheel (with the tyre still on) on the ground to try to get it to spring back into shape (or near enough to ride to somewhere where a more permanent repair can be done).
pwa

Post by pwa »

RickH wrote:
pwa wrote:Pringles didn't exist in about 1990 when I did it to a wheel and told my better half that I needed a new wheel because I had "crisped" one. Whatever it was called, it wasn't rectifiable with a spoke key. Definitely cause by dragging sideways a loaded wheel that wasn't designed for that.

I've never had cause to try it but the situation I'm thinking of is where the distortion is symmetrical - diametrically opposite sides go a bit one way & the opposite sides in between go the other way. Rather than use a spoke key, the roadside repair is to whack one side of the wheel (with the tyre still on) on the ground to try to get it to spring back into shape (or near enough to ride to somewhere where a more permanent repair can be done).

I almost want that phenomenon to happen so I can give that "fix" a try.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

:( :( :( :(
pwa wrote:
RickH wrote:

I almost want that phenomenon to happen so I can give that "fix" a try.

Think I would first of all remove my front teeth from the tarmac before trying! :( :(
RickH

Post by RickH »

pwa wrote:I almost want that phenomenon to happen so I can give that "fix" a try.

I found a short video on YouTube demonstrating the technique! :shock:

[youtube]CA3BNeQBIoM[/youtube]
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

"and in my next tutorial video, I'll be showing you how to dig up and replace cracked paving slabs" :mrgreen:
rjb

Post by rjb »

In an idle moment whilst channel hopping i came across the red bull soapbox challenge on the TV. It spiked my interest as I have a 6 year old grandson and was thinking about building one with him. Several of those soapboxes had wheels fold up on them during the run and it surprised me to see that it didn't take much to do it. It's broadcast on Dave at 6pm on Sundays. :wink:
Or look on u tube.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D