It's very wet! - submerging the electric motor in floodwater

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
rbrian

It's very wet! - submerging the electric motor in floodwater

Post by rbrian »

Aberdeen has some heavy rain today, leaving some large puddles, possibly enough to be classed as flooding. I rode through one that was deep enough to soak me half way up my shins, I'm not certain but I think my centre drive motor was fully submerged for a few seconds. That was 3 miles ago, and it's been working ok. Is there anything I need to worry about? It's a Tern Vektron S10, if that has any bearing. The chain was also submerged, does it need anything other than oil?

On a tangentially related matter, what's a good way of drying steel toed safety shoes? I have to work again on Sunday, if they're not dry by then, I'll just take advantage of the lack of management and wear comfy shoes instead.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
rotavator

Re: It's very wet!

Post by rotavator »

Stuff newspapers into your shoes to help them dry out, that is the good old fashioned way
hemo

Re: It's very wet! - submerging the electric motor in floodwater

Post by hemo »

Mid drive motor should be ok but not what they have been designed for, what they don't like is water under pressure as some do when cleaning /hosing down then it can get in to and beyond the bearings.
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

rotavator wrote:Stuff newspapers into your shoes to help them dry out, that is the good old fashioned way

I haven't had an actual newspaper for years. I did try stuffing my iPad in, but it didn't fit, so they're sat on top of the radiator!
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

hemo wrote:Mid drive motor should be ok but not what they have been designed for, what they don't like is water under pressure as some do when cleaning /hosing down then it can get in to and beyond the bearings.

Thanks. I don't have a pressure washer, or even a hose. I was just a bit concerned because the plastic cover has a gap at the bottom, but since it's German and it still works, it'll probably be fine.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

rbrian wrote:
rotavator wrote:Stuff newspapers into your shoes to help them dry out, that is the good old fashioned way

I haven't had an actual newspaper for years. I did try stuffing my iPad in, but it didn't fit, so they're sat on top of the radiator!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
stodd

Post by stodd »

rbrian wrote:I haven't had an actual newspaper for years.
We rarely have one, but when we go on holiday we usually buy a local newspaper to get a feel for the place, and then to stuff our boots with once we've found the local wet spot.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

For shoes, it is better to have two or more pairs so the wet ones can be left to dry out in peace
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
hemo

Post by hemo »

rbrian wrote:
hemo wrote:Mid drive motor should be ok but not what they have been designed for, what they don't like is water under pressure as some do when cleaning /hosing down then it can get in to and beyond the bearings.

Thanks. I don't have a pressure washer, or even a hose. I was just a bit concerned because the plastic cover has a gap at the bottom, but since it's German and it still works, it'll probably be fine.

Being German doesn't mean it's better, it may designed and the bike made there but all the components inc frame, motor etc are all produced in China factories.
The Kalkhoff brand have suffered a lot of collateral damage by the continued flaw/failure in it's impulse drive mid motor and Bosch aren't exempt hundred's of their drives being replaced under warranty (if lucky to still be within ) as they also have had bearing and other internal drive issues.

Just keep out of deep water that can cover the drive.
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

Cyril Haearn wrote:For shoes, it is better to have two or more pairs so the wet ones can be left to dry out in peace

If only my employer agreed... and they don't let me buy my own, the only approved ones are supplied by the company, even if they're horribly uncomfortable. They seem to have dried out ok on the radiator though.
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

hemo wrote:
rbrian wrote:

Being German doesn't mean it's better, it may designed and the bike made there but all the components inc frame, motor etc are all produced in China factories.
The Kalkhoff brand have suffered a lot of collateral damage by the continued flaw/failure in it's impulse drive mid motor and Bosch aren't exempt hundred's of their drives being replaced under warranty (if lucky to still be within ) as they also have had bearing and other internal drive issues.

Just keep out of deep water that can cover the drive.

You are, of course, right. A friend of mine had no end of issues with a brand new VW Golf, but the Fiat Panda I had at the same time was fine. Its surprising how deep these preconceptions run, even in the face of overwhelming evidence. Perhaps I was just trying to make myself feel better. The bike itself is from the far east, the motor is a Bosch. I'd still rather have that than a Lucas. It's only 2 months old, but I daresay the dunking had invalidated the warranty. :(

I didn't know how deep the puddle was until I was in it, and by that time it seemed easier to continue than go back. I'll be more careful in future, I've since discovered thanks to my local Facebook group that that spot is well known for flooding. There was a picture taken a few hours later, a car was floating in a new lake where earlier it was just a small puddle!
bob simpson

Post by bob simpson »

My Riese and Muller Supercharger got a similar soaking when I rode through a flooded dip in the road. I went on to cycle another 25 miles no problems so I wouldn't worry.
hemo

Post by hemo »

The warranty won't be void if you don't tell them, if a warranty issue does arise you tell them it can get very wet in the area you ride.
Good thing now if an issue occurs out of warranty is ' The Bearing Man' Peter Collard at Performancelinebearings.com can sort out issues with overhauls to any of the current mid drives available, his company have back engineered most mid drives to produce new parts to match the existing as out of warranty the main players will fleece you.
stodd

Post by stodd »

bob simpson wrote:My Riese and Muller Supercharger got a similar soaking when I rode through a flooded dip in the road. I went on to cycle another 25 miles no problems so I wouldn't worry.
I'm afraid that if there is water ingress it could take quite a long time before the issues really start to show. Hopefully they should survive brief submersion anyway.
hemo

Post by hemo »

stodd wrote:
bob simpson wrote:My Riese and Muller Supercharger got a similar soaking when I rode through a flooded dip in the road. I went on to cycle another 25 miles no problems so I wouldn't worry.
I'm afraid that if there is water ingress it could take quite a long time before the issues really start to show. Hopefully they should survive brief submersion anyway.

SW and another couple of forum users on Pedelecs recommend with crank drive bikes that the outer bearing case/protector is removed and liberal amount of grease is applied to repel water ingress at the first stage, they also recommend periodical re- application.