** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^
Horizon
If there's one thing I don't want it's to be a "superpower"!
Time to stop winding up the Dambusters gramophone- let it run down and grind to a halt.

I want to be compromise ready.
Stand up for fairness and honest dealings both personal and International.

Do not overlook the demonstrable and manifold benefits EU membership has brought.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Audax67 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Simplistic and slanted analysis of Greece is simplistic :lol:

Admittedly, but the true situation is more like a cat-herding competition.

The true situation is entirely of the EU's making.

What worries me is the rational of Country A gets more than they pay whilst Country B pays more than they get.

We have seen the attitude of the Tories to Universal Credit and benefits

How long before the same mantra is used to justify further cuts in the welfare system

After all, the long term unemployed cost more than they pay in, and the disabled are in a similar situation (although many disabled are employed and do contribute)

The self interest of Brexit is going to hit these groups
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Audax67 wrote:
Admittedly, but the true situation is more like a cat-herding competition.

The true situation is entirely of the EU's making.

What worries me is the rational of Country A gets more than they pay whilst Country B pays more than they get.

We have seen the attitude of the Tories to Universal Credit and benefits

How long before the same mantra is used to justify further cuts in the welfare system

After all, the long term unemployed cost more than they pay in, and the disabled are in a similar situation (although many disabled are employed and do contribute)

The self interest of Brexit is going to hit these groups

Yes it will. And the poor, and anyone who might be categorised as a have-not.

Presumably, since everyone is insistent that they knew exactly what they were voting for, those that did, did so with eyes wide open?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:... most ordinary thinking people...

Hate to break it to you Al, but you speak only for yourself.

You forgot the other 17.4 million...the majority. But then you don't even live here so how can you possibly know. Out of Britain and out of touch. Enjoy the cheap plonk.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 20 Oct 2019, 10:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote:But then you don't even live here so how can you possibly know. Enjoy the cheap plonk.

Al

I'm not sure why you feel my opinions should be constrained by my location, but nevertheless, your conviction leaves me dazed and confused.

Where is "here"?

Where am I?

We deserve an answer.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:By default?

I don't support this government or any Tories of the past. I admired Thatcher for her strength, but not her politics. She's twice or three times the "man" of any that followed ....... and are likely to follow of any political leaning. Couldn't stand the woman or what she stood for and what she did, but at least she was strong and had the backing.

I want to leave the Union of Europe asap.
I never wanted to join in the first place.
We all know my sentiments on this!

However, I do not agree that all people who want to leave UofE support BoJo or any of his ilk.

Your political leanings appear to be further to the right after voting for that odd Widdiecombe homophobic woman :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

........What even a Tory Blair :mrgreen:
Even Balls and Red Ed said they got it wrong saying spend it out of recession.
Though I don't agree what councils are doing like closing toilets just to save pennies.
Care seems spasmodic choosing some and leaving most to suffer.

What are you on about ?
I never had any truck with Blair,my record on this forum is clear on that :?
Closing toilets,are you for real?
Your last cryptic sentence needs deciphering,care for what or whom?
Don't rely on the Tories to care about anyone but themselves.
Sheesh,you become more bizarre and unfathomable with each post you write :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 20 Oct 2019, 10:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:As long as we end up with something like the original Common Market with the ability to trade with whomsoever we want, make all our own laws and control our own borders I believe most Leave voters will be content.

Something which we already have!

The overarching Superstate is an athema in which we are 1/28th of the whole to most ordinary thinking people.

Al

And which we have veto over anything like a 'superstate'

Yer needle's suck in the same worn out and untruthful groove! :roll:
Last edited by reohn2 on 21 Oct 2019, 8:34am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Big week ahead.

Once we leave, I think there should be an all-party committee to reform Parliament, the referendum process (I suggest a 60% majority to change the status quo on any future national referendum vote) and agree upon some form of PR.

It's clear that far from being "the mother of all parliaments" what we've actually got is not fit for purpose.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

al_yrpal wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:... most ordinary thinking people...

Hate to break it to you Al, but you speak only for yourself.

You forgot the other 17.4 million...the majority. But then you don't even live here so how can you possibly know. Out of Britain and out of touch. Enjoy the cheap plonk.

Al

A majority of the vote. Just over a third of the electorate. Just over 25% of the population. But yes, the vote was won.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:As long as we end up with something like the original Common Market with the ability to trade with whomsoever we want, make all our own laws and control our own borders I believe most Leave voters will be content.
Al

Well we can trade with whoever we want as an EU member (we do at the moment and have done so for years).

We currently make our own laws (our democratically elected representatives do).

We currently control our own borders but after departure we will be losing control of our only land border.

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

So many remain people are so badly informed, twist truths or are delusional.. It doesn't actually matter though. We'll get there in the end .

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Perhaps Al will share with us his knowledge of those laws we don't make. Is it taxation, healthcare? Social security? Military size or spending? Education? Whether our infrastructure, phones, rail, power should be public or private?
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:Perhaps Al will share with us his knowledge of those laws we don't make. Is it taxation, healthcare? Social security? Military size or spending? Education? Whether our infrastructure, phones, rail, power should be public or private?

Don't hold your breath.

Ian
horizon

Post by horizon »

Spinners wrote:
It's clear that far from being "the mother of all parliaments" what we've actually got is not fit for purpose.

I know what you are saying but we still have a group of citizens struggling to determine the outcome of a complex and controversial process by a set of rules governed by law. Frankly I thank God every day that we have that rather than the examples seen across the world and in the annals of recent history. Sometimes talking takes a long time.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher