Ten mental health tips

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Re: Ten mental health tips

Post by francovendee »

Cugel wrote:
mumbojumbo wrote:1.Avoid professionals if possible
2.Read the poem,If,by Kipling
3.Read a good book
4.Limit use of narcotics
5.Exercise mind and body
6.Tell parents to avoid dementia.
7.Drink moderatley
8.Do gardening for self or others
9 Place needs of others before your own
10.Seek out good music and listen eg.Sibelius.Bob Dylan,John Coltrane

You were doing all right 'til No. 3. Many books said to be good by goodbook judges turn out to be tedious drones. I was once recommended to read "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged" by that Aynal Randy person. Gaw, they're tedious (and very silly indeed).

Then you got to No. 9 - a good recommendation or not, depending on who is included or excluded from "others". I feel it will be maddening to put the needs of Trumpet or BoJoklown before my own (and everyone else's, which would be part of the "deal" with them gharks. Yes).

No. 10 wouldn't be so bad if only you'd said "Bob Dylan but only Blood on The Tracks".

Cugel, also a bit wary of Kipling reads, which are often the literary equivalent of Kipling "cakes". Sweet & sickly & tasting queer, like Olde English Spangles past their sell-by date.

Spangles! I'd forgotten those, they always did taste a bit queer. I preferred Refreshers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cycling is good for mental health! I find I can think clearly while tootling along, just need to write my thoughts down and act on them
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cycling is good for mental health! I find I can think clearly while tootling along, just need to write my thoughts down and act on them

If your write down your thoughts as you cycle along, you may find yourself in the gutter or even at the bottom of a drystone wall with blud on it (yours). Why not instead go along dictating your thoughts into a bar-mounted recorder? This would also be an opportunity to out-gizmo the other cyclists, which is very important apparently.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

[quo
Cugel wrote:
Cugel, also a bit wary of Kipling reads, which are often the literary equivalent of Kipling "cakes". Sweet & sickly & tasting queer, like Olde English Spangles past their sell-by date.

Dare I suggest "The Bridge Builders" on a teeming wet and dark Welsh night.
Certainly its flavour is unusual.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The poems of R S Thomas are good for descriptions of life somewhere like Brechfashire, perhaps Cugel could compare and contrast them with the writings of Caradoc
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

PDQ Mobile wrote:[quo
Cugel wrote:

Wot bridge builders are these? I googled and got a thousand of them!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cugel wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:[quo
Cugel wrote:

Wot bridge builders are these? I googled and got a thousand of them!

Cugel

It is a (shortish) story and allegory by Kipling.
Unusual for its day and I thought it might intrigue you.
(Available in digital form Google tells me)
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The poems of R S Thomas are good for descriptions of life somewhere like Brechfashire, perhaps Cugel could compare and contrast them with the writings of Caradoc

Collected Poems ordered. The ladywife, who is a consumer of vast reams of poetry, will parse the tome for gems. If she stamps the libram with her approval-seal I will also read, although I confess to finding most poetry .... can't think of the right word. :-)

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The poems of R S Thomas are good for descriptions of life somewhere like Brechfashire, perhaps Cugel could compare and contrast them with the writings of Caradoc

Collected Poems ordered. The ladywife, who is a consumer of vast reams of poetry, will parse the tome for gems. If she stamps the libram with her approval-seal I will also read, although I confess to finding most poetry .... can't think of the right word. :-)

Cugel

I don't read much poetry,when I do it's usually modern (dnot keen on rap though).I have a bash at writing some,which is mostly crap,but it helps with my mental equilibrium :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Another poetry tip
Lisel Mueller, she was born in Hamburg, emigrated to the US, won the Pulitzer Prize for poetry. In English
'In the new language, everyone spoke too fast. Eventually we caught up'
Just like learning Welsh :wink:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Try working out the combination of router bits needed to produce a picture-frame-style moulding and the sequence in which to use them. Then rout 12 metres of the stuff, retaining your fingers. That's my current puzzler.

Oh - you have to make the router table first.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Audax67 wrote:Try working out the combination of router bits needed to produce a picture-frame-style moulding and the sequence in which to use them. Then rout 12 metres of the stuff, retaining your fingers. That's my current puzzler.

Now then, now then! You'll be making your own tablesaw next!

I have a fine Lee Valley Veritas router table, in which resides a huge Australian router of numerous HP. There are also fences, jigs, stops, hold-downs, micrometer adjusters, sliding carriages and all sorts of other gubbins that together make a wondrous machine that can perform all sorts of wondrous cuts. Let us not, either, forget the woodrat, which is an upside down router table (sort of) for cutting many fine joints with absolute precision.

"What's this", you cry! "Are you, Cugel, a woodworker or a machine operative?"

Well, one can make a case that these toolen are "cheating". But in practice, the set-up of the tool as well as it's proper operation takes quite a bit of experience and the associated skills. And the resulting furniture or other wooden thing is well-made instead of a floppity ramshackler. And how long would it take an amateur to learn to accurately cut a complex picture frame moulding with the 5 different hand moulding planes, eh, eh? I am old now and don't have the five years of 5-day weeks of 8 hour days to do the apprenticeship. No.

One thing the router table can do is to cut a complex moulding with one complex-shaped bit, as the power of the router is immense and will drive the queer shaped cutters sticking up two inches and a ... bit. One must take more than a single pass, of course. And these router bits can be expensive, so one would need to justify them by making lots of a single picture frame style......

On the other hand, think of the cost of a spindle moulder and it's tooling! Also, its habit of eating an unwary human arm.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Audax67 wrote:Try working out the combination of router bits needed to produce a picture-frame-style moulding and the sequence in which to use them. Then rout 12 metres of the stuff, retaining your fingers. That's my current puzzler.

Already done some 30 years ago. :)
Tip,try make the moulding as a composite,you can biscuit joint the two or even three peices together later also using the table,before mitring :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Taking a cruise might be a dream holiday (may one self-cater?), one meets lots of people plusminus?
The cruise ships visit fjords, a bit cramped and narrow, the rocks block out the son, gloaming at noon, solemn music by Greig or Sibelius is played, could be a bit trying for some
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Here's an interesting wee article. It suggests a link between human fear of their own death and a lurch rightward to feelings of a fearful intolerance, all kept at bay (mentally-speaking) by a desperate seeking for a meaningful identity, which inevitably results in "othering".

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... list-death

"Experiments carried out under the rubric of “terror management theory” – the framework I and my fellow researchers used for understanding these behaviours – corroborate Becker’s account. They illuminate the existential underpinnings of hostility and disdain toward designated outgroups. After being reminded of their mortality (by answering the questions above, being interviewed in front of a funeral parlour, or subliminally exposed to the word “death”), Christians had more favourable impressions of other Christians and more negative impressions of Jews; Germans sat closer to Germans and further away from Turkish immigrants; Iranians were more supportive of suicide bombings; and Americans advocated using nuclear, chemical and biological weapons against countries that posed no direct threat to the US".

Or so goes the theory - but based on some experimental evidence. Mind .... I yam very wary of psychological and sociological "science" as it's often 99% theory and 1% evidence, selected from 1001 other factors that may be influencing the case. Nevertheless .... the observations are grokable - but perhaps only because I often feel many of the rightward-leaning ole reactionary-yet-revolutionary ranters are ranting out of fear of .... something, anything, everything. Their mental health often seems ...... precarious.

But is that just my own prejudice?

Wot U fink?

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes