Found - Twenty Quid

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Found - Twenty Quid

Post by Mick F »

Cop car?
Devon and Cornwall Police have one each! :lol:

Police Station?
There's one in Launceston and one in Plymouth.
Launceston is 15miles away and Plymouth 20miles.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Donate it to the National Cycle Museum!
The town museum in Llan3 is worth a visit too, one could easily spend a week there

Same with the Heddlu, Constable Dyfed and Sergeant Powys at your service :wink:
It is a queer business with cash
In Germany it is still ubiquitous, but in Sweden it is hardly used any more
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Up until some months ago, our daughter was running a pub in Bedford town.
She would tell you there, that some folk don't use cash at all. All transactions done via cards or phones or even watches even for a single pint and a packet of crisps.

We call cash, "beer tokens" as it's probably the only times we use it - in pubs.

Maybe a bottle of milk from the shop every now and again but shopping generally, is done with a card. Petrol always with a card.
Mick F. Cornwall
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Found a £50 once in a changing room in a very posh shop where suits cost £1000+. I am embarrassed to say I just kept it. Finders keepers and all that :D Paid for a very nice meal, it wasn't wasted.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Donate it to the National Cycle Museum!
The town museum in Llan3 is worth a visit too, one could easily spend a week there

The reason cash is so infrequently used in Sweden is their stringent tax, and tax avoidance strategy. If you sell anything, even at a market stall, you have to use a special card payment device, from which tax is deducted at source. And the state can check it at any time.

Kinda reduces the Black Market to almost zero consequence.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Interesting, plusminus?
Germany is not so different from Sweden in other ways, mind
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Interesting, plusminus?

You use this "plusminus" phrase, all one word, a lot. What do you actually mean by it?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Interesting, plusminus?

You use this "plusminus" phrase, all one word, a lot. What do you actually mean by it?

Minusplus too
Means, I think there might be something to be said for it, and something to be said against it
Plusminus might be more positive, minusplus might be more negative
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Polisman wrote:Found a £50 once …... Paid for a very nice meal, it wasn't wasted.

W.C.Fields wrote:.... I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.....

He may not have been the first to say it and he certainly won't be the last...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Polisman wrote:

The reason cash is so infrequently used in Sweden is their stringent tax, and tax avoidance strategy. If you sell anything, even at a market stall, you have to use a special card payment device, from which tax is deducted at source. And the state can check it at any time.

I am a bit puzzled. about what you say about cash and card payment device, seems to contradict one another? Cash is used in the UK to avoid taxes; are you saying the "card device" is used even if you pay cash and not meaning credit card device? How does the card device make sure a cash payment dont go unrecorded?
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

mercalia wrote:
Polisman wrote:

I am a bit puzzled. about what you say about cash and card payment device, seems to contradict one another? Cash is used in the UK to avoid taxes; are you saying the "card device" is used even if you pay cash and not meaning credit card device? How does the card device make sure a cash payment dont go unrecorded?

Cash is virtually extinct in Sweden. You literally cannot sell anything without taking either an electronic payment or using the machine to do the same. It has virtually eradicated the ability of people to work and sell goods 'on the black'. The machine is linked online all the time, so taxes on goods and services are paid real time, and frequently vetted, so its very very difficult to get away with tax avoidance.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There was a nice phrase about someone being so mean, she would use her teeth to pick a penny out of a pile of muck

I pick up small coins too, I always check whether more coins are nearby, recently I found a small allen screw, just what I need for my bottle cage, one finds plenty of bolts, washers and the like :wink:
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

When travelling in Europe I have reverted to cash. I am very thrifty(and poor)!
My card transactions were being subject to varying "non sterling" fees and variable (not particularly good) exchange rates.
I know there are (were?) some card providers that don't charge fees- Nationwide was one but frankly a bit of cash changed is easier, though a tad riskier.
I am also very disillusioned with banks generally.
I resent their excess profiteering.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There was a nice phrase about someone being so mean, she would use her teeth to pick a penny out of a pile of muck

I pick up small coins too, I always check whether more coins are nearby, recently I found a small allen screw, just what I need for my bottle cage, one finds plenty of bolts, washers and the like :wink:

20p is my minimum - and that's touch and go.
I know from experience I'm as likely to walk past it as to pick it up.

I did pick up 5p the other day but that's only because I'd walked past it for several days and it hadn't moved.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

PDQ Mobile wrote:When travelling in Europe I have reverted to cash. I am very thrifty(and poor)!
My card transactions were being subject to varying "non sterling" fees and variable (not particularly good) exchange rates.
I know there are (were?) some card providers that don't charge fees- Nationwide was one but frankly a bit of cash changed is easier, though a tad riskier.
I am also very disillusioned with banks generally.
I resent their excess profiteering.

Or you can take cash out from the ATM, which also gives you a choice of accepting the ATM's rate or your bank's.