Porridge: love or hate? Vote now please!

Do you love porridge?

Yes I have it every day
36%
Yes if offered, e.g. at a YH or BB
3%
2-6 times a week
28%
Not more than once a week
13%
Only in winter/in Scotland
10%
Only when visiting the grandparents
1%
No, I hate it
6%
Not tried it yet
No votes
No opinion / what is porridge?
1%

Total votes: 67

Cyril Haearn

Re: Porridge: love or hate?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Right again Cugel
Porridge doesnae even smell
It is neither solid nor liquid, a sort of jelly one might say :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Debs

Post by Debs »

Jellykiss wrote:I really hate porridge. Oatmeal is probably more boring than anything else.

...so how many years did the judge send you down for? :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Debs wrote:
Jellykiss wrote:I really hate porridge. Oatmeal is probably more boring than anything else.

...so how many years did the judge send you down for? :wink:

Please to be kindly to new members, we have just lost 9000, we need more :wink:

Just got a book about food with a chapter about porridge including a couple of poems, I shall post them soon for our delight
Tip: eating/ drinking porridge alone is not good for ones mental health :?

What landscape most closely resembles porridge?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Right again Cugel
Porridge doesnae even smell
It is neither solid nor liquid, a sort of jelly one might say :wink:

I can smell the oats cookin'. Yes I can. Also, my porridge is solid by the time I come to eat it. During the cookin' it's reminiscent of that mud that boils out of hot holes in places like Yosemite.

Luckily I am ept with a big spoon and can expertly carve a porridge-lump into several fine mouthfuls, each with its complement of nut, berry or other lump of once-dried froot. When I am feeling decadent, I pour on a smidgen of maple syrup. This is sinful but I forgive myself later after showing remorse as I pinch at a fat bit somewhere on my person.

Jelly on a plate, wibble-wobble? No, no - there's something obscene about the stuff, especially the yellow variety. The purple is worse still.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

My granny made porridge first thing
with the same untroubled movements
of hand and eye, the same patience
that she gave to night prayers

It is a holy and wholesome thought
to eat porridge and pray for the dead
every day of your life, I now think,
reaching down a white bowl from its shelf

James McGonigal
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Muesli is a good alternative to porridge, home-made of course (I used to eat Alpen :?)
Debs

Post by Debs »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Muesli is a good alternative to porridge, home-made of course (I used to eat Alpen :?)

Apparently muesli should be thoroughly chewed before swallowing, i always do and never have a problem, except it can be rather fattening if one isn't burning off the calories!. However, i once witnessed a friend gulp down a big bowl of Alpen muesli in 30 seconds flat which resulted in him complaining about chronic indigestion for rest of the day. I can only imagine the aggregate ingredients formed a breeze-block structure inside his big belly gut...
Muesli obviously not good for the impatient gannet :wink:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Debs wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Muesli is a good alternative to porridge, home-made of course (I used to eat Alpen :?)

Apparently muesli should be thoroughly chewed before swallowing, i always do and never have a problem, except it can be rather fattening if one isn't burning off the calories!. However, i once witnessed a friend gulp down a big bowl of Alpen muesli in 30 seconds flat which resulted in him complaining about chronic indigestion for rest of the day. I can only imagine the aggregate ingredients formed a breeze-block structure inside his big belly gut...
Muesli obviously not good for the impatient gannet :wink:

That Alpen doesn't have aggregate in it as it's just dust from Swiss hotel lobbies with added sugar. :-)

There is no substitute for the rolled-oat porridge with plenty of frooty-nutty-seedy aggregate added, to one's taste. None of that salt or sugar mind! Those are for masochistic Scotsmen and soft Southern Jessies, respectively. Real cyclists have porridge so thick and claggy it has to be carved into swallowable chunks with a very sharp spoon.

Cugel, a porridge addict.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Hoping to provoke an argument :wink:

I think porridge is still porridge with salt, milk, yoghurt

With nuts, berries, honey &c it is something else, PSO? Porridge-shaped object maybe
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Hoping to provoke an argument :wink:

I think porridge is still porridge with salt, milk, yoghurt

With nuts, berries, honey &c it is something else, PSO? Porridge-shaped object maybe

Some "porridge" is indistinguishable from wallpaper paste, in look, consistency and taste. Folk who consume such themselves become pasty through lack of nutriment. Their teeth also fall out for lack of anything chewy in their runny grool. Oh yes they do!

Cugel, curling a lip at ghost-porridge.
John Maynard Keynes
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Never use rolled oats. Pinhead oatmeal is the real deal.
DNC123

Post by DNC123 »

Friday is porridge day here. That means tomorrow morning. Comes with blueberries on top. Is that a sin?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What, only once a week? :wink:
DNC123

Post by DNC123 »

Yup. That's my diet. Wifey works it out, so it will be a braver man than me who questions the regime :shock:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

ambodach wrote:Never use rolled oats. Pinhead oatmeal is the real deal.

The pinhead oatmeal has been recommended to me but the recommender also opined that it needs to be soaked for 24 hours to be reet. Wot, plan breakfast 24 hours in advance!? I can barely plan 5 minutes ahead and even then things go wrong.

Of course, I never have to plan breakfast anyway, as the ladywife spoils me by doing it. Tomorrow she plans to give me one boiled egg instead of two as the latest eggs from Len the Fish (yes, I know) are ginormous. The hens must be as big as eagles! They are free range (very free, apparently) so might call 'round demanding their eggs back with menaces.

I was once chased about by aggressive chickens at that Chatsworth Hoose, you know. Them chickens there are adept at mugging children for their biscuits. They are those ones with big fluffy trouser legs (the chickens, not the children) which seem to be the chicken equivalent of drainpipe trousers and beetle crushers.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes