Can anyone recommend to me a breathable, brightly coloured & reflective waterproof jacket?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
andrew_s

Re: Can anyone recommend to me a breathable, brightly coloured & reflective waterproof jacket?

Post by andrew_s »

PH wrote:
andrew_s wrote:. You can do a fair amount by good care - keeping it clean, and reproofing occasionally (i,e, restoring the DWR using Nikwak or Grangers etc) , but it will never be as good as new.

There is unfortunately a bit of a conflict there, as the reproofing bonds better to any already existing on the fabric. So if you do a good job of the cleaning... you've just washed it all off.
I don't think there is a right answer, I'm currently washing in a very mild soap solution, which isn't enough to do a thorough clean, then reproofing, it's working so far and I can accept the jacket looking a bit grubby.

On the other hand, DWR with dirt on top doesn't repel water very much.
I believe that current manufacturer advice is a normal plain detergent (without fabric softeners or such nasties), on the grounds that it gets the fabric cleaner than things like a mild soap.
PH

Re: Can anyone recommend to me a breathable, brightly coloured & reflective waterproof jacket?

Post by PH »

andrew_s wrote:On the other hand, DWR with dirt on top doesn't repel water very much.
I believe that current manufacturer advice is a normal plain detergent (without fabric softeners or such nasties), on the grounds that it gets the fabric cleaner than things like a mild soap.

As I said I don't think there is a correct answer. Not being fully clean will also in itself affect the breathability. Yet it's a very common complaint that the reproofing didn't last long, this isn't because it isn't good stuff, just that it hasn't bonded well. I washed a Goretex Paclite jacket in detergent some years ago, it was so far gone I had nothing to loose, any reproofing afterwards washed off in a couple of downpours, I still used it as a commuting jacket for a few years, half an hour at a time so wetting out didn't seem so important.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:On breathability, even in principle, no jacket is breathable in the rain (they depend on a humidity gradient to dispel water). And in rain for any length of time you end up wet from sweat regardless of how
+1 In 50+ years of cycling and fellwalking I've found nothing that keeps you dry if you're in the rain long enough. All I ask of a jacket is that if I'm wet at least I'm warm. This may not sound like much of a requirement but I once got a Gore Bikewear jacket that leaked like a sieve, I got caught in a sleet storm at over 4000' and could feel ice water running down my arms. Gore replaced it for free even though I sent it to the US Gore operation and I'd bought the jacket the year before in Keswick.
Oddly one of the best waterproofs I came across for hiking the fells was a cycling cape! I suppose it was the ventilation. I've never used a cycling cape on a bike, a cape may be a solution for the OP
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Cycle capes suit some and not others.

A proper cycle cape will have tape loops for the thumbs (using drop bars - presumably you'd use a finger or two on flat bars), and a waist tie. Other capes re-purposed won't have these, and can, in windy weather blow inside out over your head. You can sort of stop this by sitting on the rear end, but I would expect most people would briefly stand or move about enough that this wouldn't be reliable.

Problems with capes I found are...
They are a hazard to bike control in windy weather.
They are un-aerodynamic enough to make a noticeable difference to speed (an extra 10 mins on a 10.5 mile ride into the start of the club ride, in my case).
They make proper signalling in traffic difficult.
They are usually made of something non-breathable, on the grounds that the ventilation from below is sufficient, but that doesn't help your shoulders and back where the material of the cape lies against you.

I gave up on mine.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I purchased this one about 10 minutes ago.
Last edited by De Sisti on 9 Oct 2019, 10:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Bin Bag Gilet.jpg

Here's an inexpensive cape, not very breathable but light. They come in white as well as black.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

De Sisti wrote:I purchased this one about 10 minutes ago.

In the orange linked to? Good colour! I hope it works for you (in terms of waterproofing, breathability, durability and, yes, aesthetically).
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

andrew_s wrote:Cycle capes suit some and not others.

can, in windy weather blow inside out over your head...
I gave up on mine.

You could well be right about that but I can't say I ever saw it happen (with a school party in the Trossachs) Many of us had ex WD "gas capes" Remember them? Which were even worse - if you didn't unfold them very very carefully they tore.

Yet another downside to bike capes appears to me to be the puddle that forms between your arms.
Ant...

Post by Ant... »

Bmblbzzz wrote:

In the orange linked to? Good colour! I hope it works for you (in terms of waterproofing, breathability, durability and, yes, aesthetically).

Looks like a very expensive boil in the bag job.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Bmblbzzz wrote:

Yes, it was the orange one I wanted.
freiston

Post by freiston »

PJ520 wrote:Yet another downside to bike capes appears to me to be the puddle that forms between your arms.

A downside! The puddle (and knocking the water out) is part of the fun of wearing a cape for me - it's a bit like the satisfaction of hearing the rain on your flysheet when you are dry in your tent.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Bmblbzzz wrote:

Wore it this morning (as it was spitting throughout the ride). I went one size up and bought the large.
It fitted perfectly (not too tight around the chest). Arms were long enough (with elasticated cuffs).
Kept me dry all ride (although I perspired inside the jacket).
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

De Sisti wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:

Wore it this morning (as it was spitting throughout the ride). I went one size up and bought the large.
It fitted perfectly (not too tight around the chest). Arms were long enough (with elasticated cuffs).
Kept me dry all ride (although I perspired inside the jacket).

I wonder if this is the jacket that a friend of mine has just bought? Had coffee with him this afternoon, he told me he'd just been tempted into buying a new Rapha waterproof jacket, also in orange. He said it was waterproof but 'boil in the bag'. He wasn't wearing it today so didn't see it.
Noelie

Post by Noelie »

I haven't read the full thread, but in my quest for the perfect cycling jacket, i've bumped into these. Thought i'd share in case it's of any interest:

GORE BIKEWEAR MENS C3 ACTIVE JACKET
https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/gore-bikewear-mens-c3-active-jacket-N1114067.html?colour=155

Inov8 Ultrashell Pro FZ
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-waterproof-shell-c51/ultrashell-pro-fz-p12113

Alpkit Gravitas [Mens] lightweight waterproof
https://www.alpkit.com/products/gravitas-mens

unfortunately, none seem to have underarm vents.

Good luck
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Do you get Showers Pass brand in the UK? I've got one that's very good and has pit zips plus a high collar that keeps out the worst but not cheap. Hmm... seems you do https://showerspass.co.uk/