Baseball cap helmet

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Tinpotflowers

Baseball cap helmet

Post by Tinpotflowers »

mattsccm

Re: Baseball cap helmet

Post by mattsccm »

Helmet with peaked cover.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I'll bite. Purely subjective because I haven't tried one, however, I'd want to know more about:
Ventilation
How far back on the head does it need to be worn to give a view under that peak?
Can it be worn on a dropped-bar bike?
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cut from $99 to $29 suggests it has not been a great seller.

300g is heavier than some trad helmets, including the one that hurt my neck.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Can you wear it back to front or sideways?

Can I get it in bright red emblazoned with the word "T..mp"?
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Putting to one side the familiar reservations about how protective a normal helmet is (or isn't) this one sits closer to the skull, especially at the rear, so it is either less protective or it is made using a different construction that offers the same or better protection in a more compact form. I'm guessing that it is less protective.

It has next to no depth above the ears, an area I personally want my helmet to protect from the toppling accident that I wear a lid for. It seems only to protect the top of the head.

And it has next to no air flow, which would stop me using it.
steelframe

Post by steelframe »

I suspect that this is a fake website. The original product is on indigogo and has not been finalized / delivered yet as far as I know: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/park ... 14750908#/

They got ~2.500.000€ in funding from backers so it would be very strange if they sold the product for a bargain price, much cheaper than during crowdfunding, before they even hit their deadline for delivery of the crowdfunded helmets. From the "updates" section of the campaign:

Shipping Schedule:

- Late November - we will begin shipping the first 3,000 helmets (size and color will be sent in an upcoming update)**

- mid-December — we will ship the next 3,001-8,000 helmets (size and color will be sent in an upcoming update)**

- Late December – January 2020, we will begin shipping 8,001+ helmets (size and color will come in a future update)**

- Beginning November 1st, all new orders will be shipped in late January/early February 2020
Last edited by steelframe on 22 Oct 2019, 8:39am, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:It has next to no depth above the ears, an area I personally want my helmet to protect from the toppling accident that I wear a lid for. It seems only to protect the top of the head.

It claims to be breatheable.

As for the toppling point, helmets are only EN/BS tested on the top, aren't they? (5cm above the horizontal axis plane sounds familiar but I've not double-checked) So is yours tested to a higher spec or are you just hoping that the sides are more than cosmetic or strap anchoring?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
steelframe

Post by steelframe »

Oh, just found that on their Indigogo-page they even warn regarding fake-sellers:

FAKE SELLERS

We’ve heard from several backers about fraudulent copycats stealing our ads and trying to sell the Park & Diamond helmet for a very low price. These sites are NOT AUTHORIZED SELLERS and have NO HELMETS TO SELL.

The Park & Diamond helmet is ONLY AVAILABLE on Indiegogo InDemand for USD$89. If you see the P&D helmet on sale anywhere else (for less than USD$89.00) then it is not from Park & Diamond and you should report them and avoid them.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:It has next to no depth above the ears, an area I personally want my helmet to protect from the toppling accident that I wear a lid for. It seems only to protect the top of the head.

It claims to be breatheable.

As for the toppling point, helmets are only EN/BS tested on the top, aren't they? (5cm above the horizontal axis plane sounds familiar but I've not double-checked) So is yours tested to a higher spec or are you just hoping that the sides are more than cosmetic or strap anchoring?

I'm hoping that the sides are more than just cosmetic strap anchoring.

The breathable top on that lid, unless I'm missing something, looks like it ain't gonna let much air through very quickly so it won't keep up with my ventilation requirements.
RichK

Post by RichK »

pwa wrote:...

It has next to no depth above the ears, an area I personally want my helmet to protect from the toppling accident that I wear a lid for. It seems only to protect the top of the head.

Which possibly highlights a major flaw in the certification testing more than anything else.
pwa

Post by pwa »

RichK wrote:
pwa wrote:...

Which possibly highlights a major flaw in the certification testing more than anything else.

Certainly. Like the EU's tests for new car emissions or fuel efficiency, you can't take much from it and you are left to form your own opinions based on your own priorities, life experiences, whatever practical sense you have, and some guesswork. And my non-scientific evaluation is that this particular lid lacks depth in an area I myself feel to be important. Important to me, but not to others.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

It doesn't look too dissimilar to a bump cap from screwfix for 5.99. I use one when I'm venturing into the loft!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bump-cap-black/3539d
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well spotted FP! :D

I may buy one to shut the folk up who want me to wear a stupid helmet.
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Ok I bought one from Facebook I thought I could wear it on the recumbent
C16D37A6-3CE9-4815-8765-9052F1AB5509.jpeg
C16D37A6-3CE9-4815-8765-9052F1AB5509.jpeg (22.21 KiB) Viewed 1125 times

It arrived today as you can see it is just a base ball cap not a foldable helmet Fortunately I used Pay pal so we will see if the buyer protection works.. i knew it was risk. But I expected something sub standard not a baseball cap. :lol:.
NUKe