Just had my jab an hour ago.
Will keep you posted of any perceived effects
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Re: Flu Jab - side effects?

Post by Psamathe »

Without asking anybodies specific age, what age are people starting to have these flu vaccinations?

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I had my first in my late 50s as an asthma sufferer.
John
rjb

Post by rjb »

I had my first one at 65 on the NHS. Before this you had to pay unless your GP recommended it or it was provided by your workplace afaik.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
horizon

Post by horizon »

Psamathe wrote:Without asking anybodies specific age, what age are people starting to have these flu vaccinations?

Ian

AFAIR it was offered to me this year and last when I reached 65. I've had both a letter and telephone call in the past. Given that no-one wants the flu I imagine it will soon be offered to the entire population (it is already quite a long list).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
softlips

Post by softlips »

Psamathe wrote:Without asking anybodies specific age, what age are people starting to have these flu vaccinations?

Ian

I started having it around 42 years of age. No special risk factors.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I must have started when I was around 40. Never had any side effects beyond a bit of an ache in the injection site that went away once the vaccine had diffused into the bloodstream. Realized a few years ago that what I thought was a persistent ache in my upper left arm caused by the vaccine was in fact a heart attack tendinitis well off to one side.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'm 63 and never been offered one. Not really bothered but never knew at what age NHS regarded these as "recommended".

Ian
DNC123

Post by DNC123 »

Had one last year and went down with cold like symptoms within 15 minutes. Lasted for weeks. Doctor rubbished this saying that the vaccine is inert. He didn't like it when I asked him how it was going to work if inert.

Not going to have one this year, I don't want a repeat performance.
softlips

Post by softlips »

CX-3 wrote:Had one last year and went down with cold like symptoms within 15 minutes. Lasted for weeks. Doctor rubbished this saying that the vaccine is inert. He didn't like it when I asked him how it was going to work if inert.

Not going to have one this year, I don't want a repeat performance.

It isn’t a live vaccine. Even if it were the incubation period is days not 15 minutes.
Carpediem

Post by Carpediem »

Mick F wrote:Not just that.
I've had asthma since my late 30s but no issues until my early 40s.
It made life difficult in the RN and was part of the reason I retired.
Much of my asthma is stress related but as I've aged it's just plain asthma.

Colds often go to my chest and develop into bronchitis etc. Quite depilating really.

Im in the same boat as you Mick,( no pun intended)
Over the last few years(im now 70) a cold almost always ends up in a bout of bronchitis,which as you say is quite dibilitatng and definitely rules out cycling.
Just wondered if you have any special remedies which I might not have tried.
I’ve been offered the flu jab but I’m still undecided.
Cheers Paul.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote:I had my first in my late 50s as an asthma sufferer.
I had mine a week or so after my 50th.
Asthma - suffered from it since late 30s and early 40s, though not treated until early 40s.

All under control unless I have a cold as it always goes to my chest.

BTW, and fit as a flea now. All cold symptoms gone! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I had my first in my late 50s as an asthma sufferer.
I had mine a week or so after my 50th.
Asthma - suffered from it since late 30s and early 40s, though not treated until early 40s.

All under control unless I have a cold as it always goes to my chest.

BTW, and fit as a flea now. All cold symptoms gone! :D

Yep. Well managed for me too except for my annual winter cold.

Plus this summer I ventured to the far south - Hampshire - to visit relatives and pollution got to me and i had seriously bad asthma for about three weeks. Massive steroid treatment and I still have a rather hoarse voice.
John
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

At the end of last week I had a flu jab and a shingles jab. No side effects of any significance - very slightly sore in the jab spots and a teeny bit jaded during the more vigorous parts of dog walks and bike rides. Next week I will have the pneumonia jab!

These are the first anti-lergy jabs I've had in decades. It seems wise now I am 15 & 55 more. I did have too many tetanus jabs when a teen as I was forever damaging myself doing risky things. The jab was much worse than the damage as it seized up the leg, bum or arm for a week!

I had non-H lymphoma four years ago and had a zillion needles and other things (including a bone borer) applied. One gets used to the jabbing but I still faint if I see my own blud. I'm a softy, see? :-)

One side effect of "being in remission" (they won't say "cured") is a seeming reboot of my immune system. I've had one short cold in four years since the treatment ceased. But perhaps it's the dark choc every day? It can't be red wine since that's about once a week or fortnight (one glass).

Now ... flu, shingle and pneumonia jabs are free and no waiting here in Cymru so I has 'em. There is something strangely attractive about being stuck with a needle by an uncompromising nurse. Yes. What else can you have on the NHS in the way of a preventative jab?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Had my pneumonia jab, and similar to the flu, ten seconds of pain and forget about it.
Mind you I have not had opportunity to test there side effects which will be temporary anyway, last one only one time felt 5% less spritely on the bike for three weeks.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.