** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
horizon

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by horizon »

mjr wrote:[qu
Referendum Party existed 1994-1997 and first Cameron government 2010-2015. Which of them had the time machine?

My apologies, I meant UKIP.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

pete75 wrote:
horizon wrote:
NB Cycle spaces are not available on ticket machines and our local station does not in any case have one (like most local stations in Cornwall).

The ticket machines will print the cycle reservations you've ordered online. The easiest way for you would be to use the GWR phone app which holds tickets electronically or print the ticket from a computer when you make the reservation.

AFAIK it still isn't possible to do that but I'll look into it.

The ticket machine is an interesting one as that requires going to another station (i.e. doing the same journey to collect the tickets).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
I was shocked to arrive at a Brit b&b place near Fleurance on Bastile Day and discover our hosts werent going to go into town and enjoy joining in the celebrations? We did. The next morning then having to accompany them to the Bricolage to translate! Lived in France for years yet totally isolated in a little Brit bubble. Wine boxes abounded... We often stayed at various friends French bolt holes and observed the same sort of behaviour. Sorry, cant feel sympathy for such folk.

Al

Nothing beats a nice bit of stereotyping on a Wed morning.

My own experience is totally different, completely the opposite end of the spectrum.

Ian

Your stereotype, my stereotype...but in my experience mine is nearer the norm, reinforced by various TV documentries and comedys which parody the many booze swilling sunshine seeking Brits in France and Spain who hardly engage with local culture at all.

Al

Yet you have absolutely no idea what level of experience I have. Did you read what you write? "but in my experience mine is nearer the norm". How can you "know" the norm based on your own experience? Oh dear.

Ian
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Psamathe wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Nothing beats a nice bit of stereotyping on a Wed morning.

My own experience is totally different, completely the opposite end of the spectrum.

Ian

Your stereotype, my stereotype...but in my experience mine is nearer the norm, reinforced by various TV documentries and comedys which parody the many booze swilling sunshine seeking Brits in France and Spain who hardly engage with local culture at all.

Al

Yet you have absolutely no idea what level of experience I have. Did you read what you write? "but in my experience mine is nearer the norm". How can you "know" the norm based on your own experience? Oh dear.

Ian

A handful of Als "friends" is enough to convince him it's the norm :wink:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Digital Advertising, more intelligent that previously assumed, more vision as to what is happening. Apparently/allegedly real, un-doctored photos of a digital billboard (though I cannot guarantee that)

Or looking closer
Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Interesting point raised today about the devolved governments (Scotland and Wales)
Boris has somewhat angered Scottish MSPs when today he declared that the Scottish Parliament "has no role” in approving his current withdrawal deal.

I can appreciate their anger given that they have identified
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/oct/23/boris-johnsons-brexit-bill-in-limbo-as-eu-leaders-mull-extension-request-politics-live wrote:While it was immediately pointed out that the bill’s own explanatory notes list more than a dozen instances where consent of the devolved administrations is required ...

Again, Piffle seems to be winding-up those he needs support from and one wonders why. To me it is looking increasingly like he is trying to get his bill blocked at every turn. He's either completely stupid or he is just playing games to the severe detriment of the UK.

Ian
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Psamathe, I don't think that you know my brother? But if you did you might have a fuller understanding how far too many of our Ex-Pats live in enclaves isolated from the natives! El Bingo, El Fish & Chips, HP Sauce via the internet, they really join in with that continental experience. More than enough of them to but flesh on the so-called stereotype portrayal.
We never say all, but certainly far too many.
Oversea living for me would be Birkenhead :oops: :lol: . TTFN MM
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

MM, you have to remember that so many of the intelligentsia live in their own cloistered world, insulated from the lumpen prolotariat! They never watch Bargain loving Brits in the Sun, or Benidorm either :lol: Its the difference between Hyacinth and Onslow!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Psamathe, I don't think that you know my brother? But if you did you might have a fuller understanding how far too many of our Ex-Pats live in enclaves isolated from the natives! El Bingo, El Fish & Chips, HP Sauce via the internet, they really join in with that continental experience. More than enough of them to but flesh on the so-called stereotype portrayal.
We never say all, but certainly far too many.
Oversea living for me would be Birkenhead :oops: :lol: . TTFN MM

So you think the way your brother behaves and your experience of his behaviour establishes "the norm".

I lived in France for over 4 years, brought a house there, etc., etc. I'm not claiming my experience is "the norm" just my experience. But the same applies to you - it's no more than your experience. There are vast numbers of ex-pats throughout the EU so to start claiming "the norm" is those you have experience of through your brother is beyond daft.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:MM, you have to remember that so many of the intelligentsia live in their own cloistered world, insulated from the lumpen prolotariat! They never watch Bargain loving Brits in the Sun, or Benidorm either :lol: Its the difference between Hyacinth and Onslow!

Al

I'm not biting because your post illustrates the shortcomings of your attitude far better than I could.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Nothing beats a nice bit of stereotyping on a Wed morning.

Ian

Al

Ian

Oh dear indeed! :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:

Al

Ian

Oh dear indeed! :roll:

The ramblings of someone with a closed mind. He claims to have left these shores many times. Somehow I doubt that really is the case.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I counted once Pete, 45 countries in my lifetime, some of them dozens of times, especially the US and France. Myopia,slurs and ear muffs characterise so many who dont want to hear truth. This is about fairness. I pay a lot of tax I dont want to see it spent on retired British people who live outside our shores and now contribute nothing. They knew the risks, no use crying in their beer. As for our government trashing the economy thats ridiculous, they are just abiding by the peoples democratic wishes expressed in a referendum that every registered voter living in the UK was invited to participate in.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:.....As for our government trashing the economy thats ridiculous, they are just abiding by the peoples democratic wishes expressed in a referendum that every registered voter living in the UK was invited to participate in.

Al

If they are doing that then we will be £350m a week better of - except of course that is quite impossible as the £350m a week was a complete lie. We should have had the EU "needing us more than we need them" - except of course that isn't happening either. Ms Villiers (NI Secretary at the time) was declaring concerns about the Irish border were just "scaremongering" and how it was not an issue, yet truth turned out very differently. even Farage was singing the praises of the Norway solution. etc., etc.

They are not delivering on the referendum result. A few cult member MPs have twisted the result to their personal ideology and they are delivering something very very different.

Ian
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Psamathe wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:MM, you have to remember that so many of the intelligentsia live in their own cloistered world, insulated from the lumpen prolotariat! They never watch Bargain loving Brits in the Sun, or Benidorm either :lol: Its the difference between Hyacinth and Onslow!

Al

I'm not biting because your post illustrates the shortcomings of your attitude far better than I could.

Ian

Sometimes you don't think someone can sink any lower in your estimation, then Al turns the knob to 11!

Brilliant stuff.
You've gotta love brexit for showing folk up for what they really are.