New chainring. How muuuuuch...?...!!!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

New chainring. How muuuuuch...?...!!!

Post by Brucey »

Trip to the LBS yesterday and they had just fitted a new four-bolt chainring to a customer's bike. The old one was laying on the workbench so I had a quick look at it. The usual wear pattern was evident; clearly the chain had been allowed to wear too much and it had taken out the most loaded teeth.

"Have a guess how much that cost...?"

I was asked.

"Campag isn't it?".

"Yes".

"Oooh, I dunno, seventy or eighty quid..?".

"£140, RRP".

"Blimey...." :shock: :shock:

Now you can do a fair bit better than that if you shop around and/or you are prepared to wait for delivery, but this is very much a niche item, not widely available; in a busy workshop they will get the part in next day through the usual supply chain and get the bike repaired and out the door. [If they waited days for parts for every repair they would need two or three times the space to store bikes in for repair, for one thing.] The folk that manufacture replacement chainrings for third-party chainsets don't appear to offer this sort, and likely volumes are such that it might not be worth tooling up to do it, either.

If the worn ring had been a five bolt one on a training bike, I'd probably have removed the peg, turned it, and carried on. At first sight it looks like you might be able to do this with modern four-bolt chainrings too, but in fact the four bolts are not set in a square pattern, so it will only go on two ways not four, which is no help with chainring wear. Shimano ones are the same too; so much for progress...

BITD I used to run campag NR; it was for the most part -amongst its contemporaries- a robust, durable and functional assemblage of components. Sure it wasn't the lightest but it would mostly keep going for years. Sure, it was pricey too, but I don't remember a spare chainring costing as much as a half decent used bike....?

Needless to say I'm not planning to invest in a similar chainset anytime soon. And -as if it needs saying- chains are relatively cheap, where cassettes and chainrings are pricey. It makes much sense to change the chain before it takes out other transmission parts.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whoof

Re: New chainring. How muuuuuch...?...!!!

Post by whoof »

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

soapbox

Post by soapbox »

Insane. Even for top-end Record and Dura Ace level. There's surely an opening for a company like (I was going to say Hope, but they're not exactly cheap, either) Superstar Components (who mostly make mtb stuff, but also make some road components) to make cheaper, compatible chainrings than that.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Ultegra chainrings are £130 big and £25 for the small one.

£100/£20 online

The 105 ones are 'only' £60/20 (£45/£12 online)

Fwiw a new chainset is £250 rrp/£150 online for Ultegra and £130/£100 for 105

So you could replace your chainset online for less than the price of a single new chainring in the shop. Albeit 105 Vs Ultegra, they are fibreglass rather than carbon fibre on the rear. (the small ring is just alloy)

Weight is almost identical, and I believe that the 105 chainring is a match, so you could fit that instead. I think the 105 chainring would fit on Dura Ace as well, but if you do that it begs the question of why you bought DA in the first place ...

They changed the design between the current and previous generations, so that old chainrings wouldn't fit. This seems a good way to kill any third party copycats.

From what I can see the process of destandardification is intensifying, the intent of which is to make new stuff obsolete in a few years.

Shimano managed with five bolts for decades, albeit some different diameters, and since going to four bolts they now have

GRX chainrings which won't fit on the very similar Metrea which won't fit on the very similar Ultegra which won't fit on the previous generation of Ultegra, nor of course will the GRX fit on the XT

This is deliberately consumer-hostile, not forgetting of course that a lot of this stuff is no lighter than it was 20 years ago, so it's all just done for cult of the new reasons
scottg

Post by scottg »

I don't think the CTC membership is the target market of Campagnolo. :)

TA X112 & X145 for Campagnolo Carbone 4 bolt Cranksets
outer rings for $88 and inners for $50
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It's what happens when cycling becomes the new golf :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

thelawnet wrote:From what I can see the process of destandardification is intensifying, the intent of which is to make new stuff obsolete in a few years.

I solve the problem by not buying the chainset in the first place, if it doesn't have relatively commonplace bolt holes.

If it's attached to a bike with a BB that doesn't permit of fitting a standard chainset in its place when the rings wear out, I don't buy the bike either.

This will account for why I'm still riding old fashioned steel, with readily available and cheapish parts on.
If someone comes up with a nice carbon "gravel" bike that's got mudguard fittings, a hole in the front of the fork crown for a dynamo light, and a BSA 68 bottom bracket, I'd very likely buy it, but it's not happened yet, nor seems likely to.
mig

Post by mig »

scottg wrote:I don't think the CTC membership is the target market of Campagnolo. :)

TA X112 & X145 for Campagnolo Carbone 4 bolt Cranksets

who is? and why?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

andrew_s wrote:
thelawnet wrote:From what I can see the process of destandardification is intensifying, the intent of which is to make new stuff obsolete in a few years.

I solve the problem by not buying the chainset in the first place, if it doesn't have relatively commonplace bolt holes.

If it's attached to a bike with a BB that doesn't permit of fitting a standard chainset in its place when the rings wear out, I don't buy the bike either.

This will account for why I'm still riding old fashioned steel, with readily available and cheapish parts on.
If someone comes up with a nice carbon "gravel" bike that's got mudguard fittings, a hole in the front of the fork crown for a dynamo light, and a BSA 68 bottom bracket, I'd very likely buy it, but it's not happened yet, nor seems likely to.

Why does it have to be carbon?

As I understand it carbon doesn't get on with threads, that's why you end up with press **it.

Incidentally I read this thread with some amusement

http://ridinggravel.com/forum/?p=%2Fpos ... ce-9480807

It's about a Chinese carbon copy of some expensive carbon gravel aero job.

AFAICT, the seat post was a non-standard size and all the frames ended up cracking.

I'm not completely convinced the original would have been that much better, from what I've seen the more expensive the bike the more numerous and the more expensive the failure modes. The main difference seems to be that when you spend £8k on some Sworks or whatever other bike then you'll probably be able to return it when it fails expensively and exotically.

I suggest that your wants list is inconsistent with the carbon raison d'etre, which is to be the sterotypical high-maintenance bride.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Actually had a shock trying to find an old campag 144bcd chainring of about 44ish teeth. Finished up with a good Middleburn or something off eBay for about thirty quid used.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

scottg wrote:TA X112 & X145 for Campagnolo Carbone 4 bolt Cranksets

ah they do exist then. £64 from wiggle.

Still nearly a lot more than other TA chainrings.... -why?- because they can....

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

iandriver wrote:Actually had a shock trying to find an old campag 144bcd chainring of about 44ish teeth. Finished up with a good Middleburn or something off eBay for about thirty quid used.

TA rings in 144BCD are available in 3/32" and 1/8"
Andel chainrings are a bit cheaper (about £30 new) and are also made in 144BCD size.

cheers
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

The whole thread seems more another rant, than something useful?

Truth is a bigger picture than just "the price of one chainring".
Modern 10 and 11sp groupsets are not tolerant about wear of single parts, so unless you are very precise with keeping things clean and replacing the chain accordingly, the wear will ramp up swiftly and it becomes a triple bill. Modern chainrings have improved a lot the shifting, but they also wear out pretty quick.
So the problem is not just the price of the outer Record/Super-Record chainring, but of chainrings in general: Shimano 105 and Ultegra aren't cheap either, nor are the Veloce ones; Sram chainrings are cheaper but have terrible shifting to boot and won't last long anyway. High-grade cassettes are expensive too, so there's no real escape if you want the top notch.
But then, it's the kind of people that would spend about £40 for "aero" socks....! :lol:
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Castel ... Socks/HYZ0
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Gattonero wrote:The whole thread seems more another rant, than something useful?

Truth is a bigger picture than just "the price of one chainring".
Modern 10 and 11sp groupsets are not tolerant about wear of single parts, so unless you are very precise with keeping things clean and replacing the chain accordingly, the wear will ramp up swiftly and it becomes a triple bill. Modern chainrings have improved a lot the shifting, but they also wear out pretty quick.
So the problem is not just the price of the outer Record/Super-Record chainring, but of chainrings in general: Shimano 105 and Ultegra aren't cheap either, nor are the Veloce ones; Sram chainrings are cheaper but have terrible shifting to boot and won't last long anyway. High-grade cassettes are expensive too, so there's no real escape if you want the top notch.
But then, it's the kind of people that would spend about £40 for "aero" socks....! :lol:
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Castel ... Socks/HYZ0

I'm going into business selling My Acme Rocket Shoes,My ARS....E they're fast,beep,beep..........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden