Gulls

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Gulls

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
This is the place where gulls carry off dogs........and baby's :P
They never found chihuahua :(
Attachments
6AF8F8B9-6BC0-4C01-9FAE-0DD81473FC73.jpeg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rjb

Re: Gulls

Post by rjb »

Someone told me to feed them with a small piece of bread filled with a tablespoon of bicarb of soda. When it hits their acidic stomachs it explodes. Never tried it but has anyone else or seen a gull frothing at the mouth! :evil:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One could poison them with pringles, that might learn them to go away
I remember the story about Gizmo the Chihuahua :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Most gull species are in decline. They tend to gather in the wrong place because we feed them chips.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Well inland here the blighters nest on the adjacent church tower attracted by the muppets in the town that feed them. Result is a squawking fest at 4.30am on summer mornings, most unwelcome in our single glazed old pile. Insomnia!

We have tried this....
https://youtu.be/8okPzxAjl0c with no visible results

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
My builder neighbour says that's customer on our estate moved house because of them :?
It's not that bad, swap anyday to get rid of the pooping cats :evil:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

rjb wrote:Someone told me to feed them with a small piece of bread filled with a tablespoon of bicarb of soda. When it hits their acidic stomachs it explodes. Never tried it but has anyone else or seen a gull frothing at the mouth! :evil:

will it also work on pigeons?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

al_yrpal wrote:Well inland here the blighters nest on the adjacent church tower attracted by the muppets in the town that feed them. Result is a squawking fest at 4.30am on summer mornings, most unwelcome in our single glazed old pile. Insomnia!

We have tried this....
https://youtu.be/8okPzxAjl0c with no visible results

Al

Happens also at Portland YHA, woken up at the same early hour when I was camping there a short time ago, they used to fly over and perch on the same roof tops then start squawking :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote:Most gull species are in decline. They tend to gather in the wrong place because we feed them chips.
Not aware of gull species in decline.

I gather they like chips, ice cream, pasties, and anything they can get their beaks into. Rubbish bags before the collections is normal round here.
Millions of them. Not seen any decline here in the SW as far as I'm aware.

Do you have a ref to this?
An internet link?
Mick F. Cornwall
ossie

Post by ossie »

Last edited by ossie on 30 Oct 2022, 11:02am, edited 1 time in total.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

rjb wrote:Someone told me to feed them with a small piece of bread filled with a tablespoon of bicarb of soda. When it hits their acidic stomachs it explodes. Never tried it but has anyone else or seen a gull frothing at the mouth! :evil:

About 50 years ago there was a dirty old plant in the Port Tennant area of Swansea known as 'Carbon Black' and the workers would do something similar, putting little bits of this carbon black into bread and throwing it up to the gulls who would catch it in mid-air and explode a few wing beats later.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

It's dismaying to read so many nasty little gripes and wails from miserable old gits seemingly only to happy to expunge the natural world to increase their little comforts. One could almost wish for an extra large blackback gull to appear and gobble down the lot o' ye!

But perhaps the gulls have an interweb of their own on which they are even now discussing how to deal with the bluddy humans and all their lethal toxins, doing-in the fish and so forth? If I was a gull I'd be practicing my aim so as to go $h*!*3-hawking on the two-legged pests.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Most gull species are in decline. They tend to gather in the wrong place because we feed them chips.
Not aware of gull species in decline.

I gather they like chips, ice cream, pasties, and anything they can get their beaks into. Rubbish bags before the collections is normal round here.
Millions of them. Not seen any decline here in the SW as far as I'm aware.

Do you have a ref to this?
An internet link?

According to the RSPB the herring gull is redlisted. All hills except the Mediterranean Gull are in decline.
John
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I think it was said last week that gulls are in decline on the box.
I have lived in a seaside town all my life and they bother me not, even when they drop stuff on the car.
Schoolboy methods at getting rid of them...................... :x
Mind you some are into blood sports here.

The media luv to hype up the terror of the gulls swooping on young children.
But on visiting a seaside town much publicised for the swarms of evil gulls I found them to be normal and timid, even when eating a pie on a bench.
The staged swooping on TV is just that Staged..........like the Bodmin Beast etc etc.