Bike Express??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Bike Express??

Post by Woodtourer »

Being here in the US I am not familiar with this company/service. Anyone here have any information about them?
Thanks!
robgul

Re: Bike Express??

Post by robgul »

They have a website - used them - faultless, no hassle service (the only downside is the length of time sitting in a bus!)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Graham

Post by Graham »

While awaiting any new contributions . . . . . .

I did an ADVANCED search ( top right-hand corner )
Searching on +bike +express
Filtered by Topic Titles only => search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=+%2Bbike+%2Bexpress&sf=titleonly

Other parameters may yield more.

Otherwise the company website is : http://www.bike-express.co.uk/
PH

Post by PH »

Used it a couple of times, the timetable doesn’t often suit me or I’d have used it more. Yes, long time on a bus, but it’s full of other cyclists and you know your bike is safe.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

You need to make your mind up early. They usually get fully booked very quickly.
As others have said, a long time on a bus, but the seats are at a greater pitch than the average tourist coach and they stop every couple of hours so you can stretch your legs. I've used it about 5 times over the last 15 years, often as a one way trip.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've used it a couple of times.
Obviously it involves all night on a coach - the seats are well spaced though.
Bikes are secure.
Sometimes delayed.
The main drawback I find is that the dates and routes don't match my requirements.
Relatively expensive compared to flying - or even train for early booking - of course the train provides its own logistical difficulties.
pwa

Post by pwa »

We used it several years ago for a very long return trip to Provence and my bum still remembers the seating. Hour after hour of discomfort. The bus itself was a tired old thing, not the "luxury" experience promised. The "catering" consisted of a bloke serving up microwave "meals". The concept was good, but I wouldn't put myself through that again. Sadly.
robgul

Post by robgul »

pwa wrote:We used it several years ago for a very long return trip to Provence and my bum still remembers the seating. Hour after hour of discomfort. The bus itself was a tired old thing, not the "luxury" experience promised. The "catering" consisted of a bloke serving up microwave "meals". The concept was good, but I wouldn't put myself through that again. Sadly.

That's about right - I likened it to sitting in a turbo-prop (if you are old enough to remember the likes of the Viscount, Vanguard, Britannia etc!) aircraft haring down the runway ... but never taking off!

That said the 15 hours of discomfort from Montpellier to Gravesend with some respite on the ferry was OK against the alternatives, with the knowledge that the bike was in good hands.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
PH

Post by PH »

I think people have different tolerance to comfort, I didn’t mind the bus, even 26 hours from Rossa to Trowel, though I did get the best seats for that one. One thing for sure, whoever named it Express had a sense of humour.
Astrobike

Post by Astrobike »

I have used bike express several times and have never had any problems , yes 24 hours on a coach
can be uncomfortable but you know that when you book and I have enjoyed all my trips with bike express.
My problem with bike express this year is the choice of routes this year there is only 1 Atlantic journey and none to
The western Pyrenees as they no longer go to Bayonne or Lourdes.
Mike
ddot

Post by ddot »

I used it to Narbonne this year and thought it was excellent. Yes 24 hours on a coach was a long time but there were a lot of breaks including the ferry crossing. The coach was very comfortable, blankets and pillows for the night section, usb plugs, WiFi, magazines books, tea and coffee and meals onboard. There was only 10 people on our coach so we were able to spread out which made it more comfortable. Planning to use it again next year.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've used it on one return trip. Expensive* and limited choice of routes. Especially annoying if you live in the west of England. But otherwise brilliant.

*Though not compared with taking a bike on a plane.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
BruceJ

Post by BruceJ »

Excellent service, especially if taking a tandem. We have travelled both on the old double decker and the new coach twelve times since 2009 and have already booked for 2020. What with good crack with steward and other cyclists, and sufficient stops to stretch the legs, the time soon passes. Vegetarian snacks produced in microwave are fine. Overall, highly recommended.
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

The routes are much more limited these days. I guess it's take up pressure. Wanted to use Med B to access Moselle but the option has gone. Good luck to the company who provide a good service on Med A and Atlantic routes.
Arturo

Post by Arturo »

Compared to train or 'plane, what I love is that it takes all the hassle out of the journey. With bike secure, your holiday starts as you get on the bus.