Gulls

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
100%JR

Re: Gulls

Post by 100%JR »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I think it was said last week that gulls are in decline on the box.
I have lived in a seaside town all my life and they bother me not, even when they drop stuff on the car.
Schoolboy methods at getting rid of them...................... :x
Mind you some are into blood sports here.

The media luv to hype up the terror of the gulls swooping on young children.
But on visiting a seaside town much publicised for the swarms of evil gulls I found them to be normal and timid, even when eating a pie on a bench.
The staged swooping on TV is just that Staged..........like the Bodmin Beast etc etc.

Obviously wasn't Whitby!?
We took shelter under a covered seating area to eat our Fish'n'Chips watching dozens of swooping Gulls nicking stuff from passers by who thought eating on the move would save them.It wasn't just Fish'n'Chips but ice cream,chocolate,coffee.
This has long been a problem in the Harbour area of Whitby.....but not just down the Coast in Scarborough or Bridlington :?
May be the Fish'n'Chips from Whitby's famous Magpie chippy is the problem............ :lol:

BTW culling pests is not a "blood sport" :roll:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Some Malaysian friends on a windermere steamer found it funny when a gull flew off with a tray full of chips. They'd only offered it one from the tray it took the lot and didn't spill that many neither.

We as humans create the nuisance gulls with our behaviour. They're only opportunists, if we never give them the opportunity they'll not become nuisances.

My a level chemistry teacher told us of his roommate in halls at university. He used to get up very early and disappear for a few hours. All very secretive. He eventually found out. The friend found out. It involved a visit to n the cliffs above Swansea with bread and a reactive metal such as caesium. Need I say more? If I do Google caesium water reaction on YouTube.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

100%JR wrote:(snip)

Wot!? You mean I can acquire a large weapon or bag of poison and go out culling the 6.94 billion humans too many? Why was I not told this before?

I can't afford a weapon and the poison's all been used up by the badger murderers so I'll have to train the collies to do the culling of human. It'll save on the dog fud.

Perhaps we should begin in West Yorkshire? :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

100%JR wrote:Obviously wasn't Whitby!?
We took shelter under a covered seating area to eat our Fish'n'Chips watching dozens of swooping Gulls nicking stuff from passers by who thought eating on the move would save them.It wasn't just Fish'n'Chips but ice cream,chocolate,coffee.
This has long been a problem in the Harbour area of Whitby.....but not just down the Coast in Scarborough or Bridlington :?
May be the Fish'n'Chips from Whitby's famous Magpie chippy is the problem............ :lol:

I agree with half of that...

My daughter was eating fish and chips in Whitby and a gull swept down and took the whole fish off her tray !!

I live in Scarborough as does my mate. We picked up a couple of pies, we were just about to shove them into our faces when a gull swept down, landed on my mate's head and promptly took the pie out of his hand before flying off !!!!

Funny now, but they **** you off at the time.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cugel wrote:
100%JR wrote:(snip)

Wot!? You mean I can acquire a large weapon or bag of poison and go out culling the 6.94 billion humans too many? Why was I not told this before?

I can't afford a weapon and the poison's all been used up by the badger murderers so I'll have to train the collies to do the culling of human. It'll save on the dog fud.

Perhaps we should begin in West Yorkshire? :-)

Cugel

From someone who generally makes sense you have surprised me with that load of rubbish.Were you drunk when you posted it?
What’s West Yorkshire got to do with anything :?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Hell of a lot around here at the moment with a lot of ploughing going on. They don't cause any bother though - I don't know why people get so worked up about them. Guess it's the townie reaction to wild creatures when they find they're not all fluffy and cuddly.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

We had a very exotic one for a while. Some fishermen( allegedly) caught one and decorated it using various brightly coloured food dyes. Caused a lot of puzzlement for a while and twitchers appeared to record this new exotic species. The dye wore off eventually.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pete75 wrote:Hell of a lot around here at the moment with a lot of ploughing going on. They don't cause any bother though - I don't know why people get so worked up about them. Guess it's the townie reaction to wild creatures when they find they're not all fluffy and cuddly.

Some just like killing creatures so will demonise them with names such as "pest" which then allows them to go a-killing-oh with an excuse for we snowflakes, who find their murderous impulses unpleasant and their excuse a transparent fiction, so look down upon them as savages.

But I yam a hypocrite as I often fantasise about hunting badger-baiters with large savage hounds; or hare coursers with a cheetah. :-) On the other hand, I haven't done so (yet).

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
sjs

Post by sjs »

Cugel wrote:It's dismaying to read so many nasty little gripes and wails from miserable old gits seemingly only to happy to expunge the natural world to increase their little comforts. One could almost wish for an extra large blackback gull to appear and gobble down the lot o' ye!

But perhaps the gulls have an interweb of their own on which they are even now discussing how to deal with the bluddy humans and all their lethal toxins, doing-in the fish and so forth? If I was a gull I'd be practicing my aim so as to go $h*!*3-hawking on the two-legged pests.

Cugel

+1
sjs

Post by sjs »

pete75 wrote:Hell of a lot around here at the moment with a lot of ploughing going on. They don't cause any bother though - I don't know why people get so worked up about them. Guess it's the townie reaction to wild creatures when they find they're not all fluffy and cuddly.

Yep.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cugel wrote:

Some just like killing creatures so will demonise them with names such as "pest" which then allows them to go a-killing-oh with an excuse for we snowflakes, who find their murderous impulses unpleasant and their excuse a transparent fiction, so look down upon them as savages.

But I yam a hypocrite as I often fantasise about hunting badger-baiters with large savage hounds; or hare coursers with a cheetah. :-) On the other hand, I haven't done so (yet).

Cugel

Typical hypocritical statement.
Calling a legitimate action “murderous” and labelling certain people “savages” is actually quite offensive....but you knew that...and you also know how to get around your post being deleted.
I’ll ask again re your earlier rambling.What has West Yorkshire got to do with this thread?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

100%JR wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

Typical hypocritical statement.
Calling a legitimate action “murderous” and labelling certain people “savages” is actually quite offensive....but you knew that...and you also know how to get around your post being deleted.
I’ll ask again re your earlier rambling.What has West Yorkshire got to do with this thread?

He huffed and he puffed and he .... just went red in the face. :-)

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I know this is changing the subject (thread drift happens right?).Does anyone think we should be encouraging the rat and feral pidgeon population?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well to control them would mean you're a killer out for bloodthirsty reasons. There's no other reason to kill other animals right?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:Well to control them would mean you're a killer out for bloodthirsty reasons. There's no other reason to kill other animals right?

:wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden