Wahey! I am going to Mercian at last!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mlteenie

Postby mlteenie » 6 Oct 2008, 8:57pm

pigman, well, I know what you are saying.. I was thinking of Condor when I said that.

C&A, you will just have to cope somehow! Good luck.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 7 Oct 2008, 12:07am

ColinandAlly wrote:A full six months...Groan!....
We ordered ours about 7 weeks ago and have been counting down to early January but quietly keeping our fingers crossed that we might have them for Christmas. It looks like we'll have to wait until February now! I e-mailed the shop to change the rear rack I'd specified and it seems from the reply that work on the frames hasn't yet started.

You're absolutely right that the wait will add value to the bike. You've had so much time to imagine it being built and looking forward to the moment that you first lay eyes on it, so you've built a bond with it already. I find myself hanging around for a few minutes if I see a Mercian locked up so that I can chat with owner should they return. They're always a very friendly bunch who want to discuss their bikes, sometimes for ages.

I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Colin

Ah Colin - I went through all those emotions myself. If you're as satisfied as I was, you'll think it was worth waiting for. I still look out for Mercians outside tea stop places - their owners usually will wax lyrical.......

I hope that you're going to keep your existing bikes, because it'll be a long time before you can bring yourself to take your new Mercians out if there's even the slightest threat of rain - I can't. Mine must be the lowest mileage Mercian in the world at the moment!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 7 Oct 2008, 8:32am

Although I can understand people's reticence for not taking out their new pride and joy, they really ought to. That's what it's for.

Please don't worry about the frame, the enamel paintwork that the good people at Mercian use is tough and strong and will withstand the winter roads.
Mick F. Cornwall

Colin63

Postby Colin63 » 7 Oct 2008, 3:14pm

Mine will be on the road within minutes of ownership. I used to use my first Mercian for a commute from the Essex suburbs to central London 12 months a year whatever the weather and the frame didn't suffer from any corrosion after several years. I'm paying a shed load of money and I intend for it to start paying me back straight away... The bike is for riding!

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 7 Oct 2008, 7:44pm

MickF - ColinandAlly-------------that's what the lads in the Halifax section say to me, in between bouts of uncontrollable laughter.

I do, however, have other bikes for wet weather.

whoops

Mercian/Paul Smith

Postby whoops » 7 Oct 2008, 9:48pm

I believe Paul Smith is something to do with men's fashion, and I have just seen his bike colour schemes. They say that pictures don't lie. In this case I hope that they do. Oh, dear! Oh dear!

GrahamG

Postby GrahamG » 8 Oct 2008, 1:17pm

Interesting - I'd considered ordering a frame from Mercian and followed this and a couple of other threads at the time. I ended up getting a custom audax frame from Paul Hewitt which happened to take less time than originally anticipated! I was measured up and placed the order on 21st June and took delivery on 6th August!

Here it is:

I look forward to seeing the Mercian - I was very tempted by the lovely lugs etc. but in the end went a little more lightweight/sporty with Columbus life tubing and carbon fork.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 9 Oct 2008, 12:22am

GrahamG wrote:Here it is:

Mmmmmm - nice - does Paul Hewitt build his own frames?

GrahamG

Postby GrahamG » 9 Oct 2008, 12:35pm

JohnW wrote:Mmmmmm - nice - does Paul Hewitt build his own frames?

I believe that the 'off-the-peg' models (Cheviot tourer etc.) are made in the far east and checked/finished here in the UK. He has a frame builder who works for him part-time in the back of the shop to build the custom frames, the only thing they don't do on-site is the paint which makes sense to me given the huge investment needed to meet regulations.

meic

Postby meic » 9 Oct 2008, 3:04pm

I am interested in having a custom frame and Hewitts keeps coming up.
The prices are not obvious on his website, so dare I ask how much?
Yma o Hyd

GrahamG

Postby GrahamG » 9 Oct 2008, 4:07pm

Prices obviously vary according to materials etc. - this was using Columbus Life tubing for the main triangle so fairly high spec - came to £850 F+F which seems a lot for steel frame plus carbon forks but it's pretty good compared to some others (Argos charge £1200 f+f+hs, and many others into 4 figures for the equivalent model)

mlteenie

Postby mlteenie » 9 Oct 2008, 7:48pm

Nice bike GrahamG!

I have been wondering what your bars are. I need a pair that have a shallow reach and drop like that.

GrahamG

Postby GrahamG » 11 Oct 2008, 1:16pm

I'm checking back to see a Mercian photo!

The bars are FSA omega compacts (Wiggle link), absolutely superb for me as I've got quite small hands.

mlteenie

Postby mlteenie » 11 Oct 2008, 6:51pm

Sorry, GrahamG, but the frame hasn't arrived yet. Like the rest of the Mercian service, they are probably being very thorough with the packaging - look at the pics online or in the catalogue of John Ely wrapping a frame!

Anyway, I am pretty confident it will be with me next week.

(sound of drumming of fingers, sighing, etc) :roll:

mlteenie

Postby mlteenie » 17 Oct 2008, 8:02pm

OK. I finally received the frame pretty much 6 months to the day. I will post photos when the build is complete.

(Edited while I consider my options)
Last edited by mlteenie on 18 Oct 2008, 12:31am, edited 1 time in total.