Wild Flowers in Autumn

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
dodger

Wild Flowers in Autumn

Post by dodger »

Looking at the grass and thinking of the last cut of the year and there I see primroses and campion in bloom.What's going on?
mercalia

Re: Wild Flowers in Autumn

Post by mercalia »

dodger wrote:Looking at the grass and thinking of the last cut of the year and there I see primroses and campion in bloom.What's going on?

lasr Hurrah! before the gloom and misery of Brexit?
rjb

Post by rjb »

And i had itchy eyes and bouts of sneezing. what's likely to be causing that at this time of year. I blame all those mushroom spores.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well well well! I think I must have been about 5 or 6 years old; I remember a Rupert Bear story (!) in which our eponymous hero discovers primroses growing in the autumn. Of course, even at that tender age, I knew the story was all make-believe. Prove me wrong! :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

rjb wrote:And i had itchy eyes and bouts of sneezing. what's likely to be causing that at this time of year. I blame all those mushroom spores.

Each year I have eye problems at the end of summer / very early autumn, which I've been told is due to fungal spores.
This is well before what we consider as fungi appear, but I think it's more down to the breakdown of other plant matter.

Most of my coughs and sneezes are down to being allergic to grandchildren. :wink:

Back on topic, my strawberries have started fruiting again and the Welsh poppies are in full bloom once more. :roll:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

fausto copy wrote:
rjb wrote:And i had itchy eyes and bouts of sneezing. what's likely to be causing that at this time of year. I blame all those mushroom spores.

Each year I have eye problems at the end of summer / very early autumn, which I've been told is due to fungal spores.
This is well before what we consider as fungi appear, but I think it's more down to the breakdown of other plant matter.

Most of my coughs and sneezes are down to being allergic to grandchildren. :wink:

Back on topic, my strawberries have started fruiting again and the Welsh poppies are in full bloom once more. :roll:

Iss, iss - things that shouldn't are blooming and there are strawberries quite large albeit refusing to ripen! These are, of course, harbingers of doom. A fairy once told me that plants bloom and seed like mad when they know a bad thing is coming, weather-wise. as the seeds (and spores) will replant the scene after the hurricane and flood has blown or washed all the extant plants away. away to the bottom of the sea.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

dodger wrote:Looking at the grass and thinking of the last cut of the year and there I see primroses and campion in bloom.What's going on?
Not to mention dandelions and buttercups :( Climate change, innit?!?
"42"
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Quite normal in this part of the world.
Primroses almost 12months of the year, campion too. We have a yellow poppy in flower down the drive.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Out walking the dog this afternoon and thinking about this thread.

Saw these.
IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0472.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall