Search facility

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
SimonCelsa

Search facility

Post by SimonCelsa »

From the advanced search facility:

Place + in front of a word which must be found and - in front of a word which must not be found. Put a list of words separated by | into brackets if only one of the words must be found. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.

I can understand putting a '+' in front of a word to be found. Similarly I can understand putting a '-' in front of a word not to be found (but why would you input that word in the first place if you don't want to find it?)

I cannot quite fathom what the next bit means (lists, brackets and what is that 'separator' sign.......). Could anybody supply a couple of simple examples?

Cheers
gaz

Re: Search facility

Post by gaz »

+ = and, - = not, | = or.

Imagine you want to search for information on trailer bikes. A search for +trailer is a good start. A search for +trailer -cargo will cut out some of the irrelevant posts.

Imagine you want to search for information on Camagnolo Record. Search for +Campagnolo +Record. Alternatively a wildcard search for +Campag* should pick up both Campag and Campagnolo.

If you want to search for information on Campagnolo groupsets in general search for (Campag*|Record|Nuovo|Victory|Chorus|Mirage|Centaur|Euclid), etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good info Gaz! :D

Trouble with the searching on this site though, is that it needs a minimum of four characters.
You can't search for "dog" for instance.

However, you can use Google.

dog site:forum.cyclinguk.org
Mick F. Cornwall
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

OK thanks Gaz, that's a bit clearer now.

I must admit I have never seen that | character on my keyboard until now!! :oops: As a matter of interest what is it's actual function in the computer keyboard world.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

SimonCelsa wrote:I must admit I have never seen that | character on my keyboard until now!
I don't think we have it on our Macs at all.
Please suggest what keystrokes might be involved.
Mick F. Cornwall
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

On my aging Compaq running Windows Vista the | character is on the same key as the \, just to the left of the Z. Looks to my eye just like an 'I' hence why I had never noticed it!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Spotted it! :D :D
Shift backslash.
IMG_0479.jpg

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ................. lots of them! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Learn something new every day!!!!!!!||||||||||||||||!!!!!!!!!!